HR21 No HDMI Signal to TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

WhickedWhich

Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Greenwood, IN
Need to do a sanity check on a weird experience. Have had my HR21 for 4+ months connected to a Panny TH-42PX60U plasma via HDMI without issue. Last week, all of a sudden, no output. Switch to component cables, get output to TV. Also runnning HDMI from a PS3 to the Panny, no issue. Swapped cables, swapped HDMI ports on the TV with the PS3, everything points to "bad" HDMI port on the HR21.

D* sends tech out today (happy Labor Day dear tech...) - he says it's the result of a software upgrade, and that they've had issues with Samsung and Panasonic units as software releases have rolled out. The only thing he could offer was to swap for an HR20 (according to him, D* won't authorize a swap for another HR21, that it would just introduce the same problem - need-for-sanity-check-point-#1). I didn't feel I should accept backleveled hardware and held on to the HR21.

Studying this and other forums, I don't see any references to people experiencing the same issue, but maybe I'm just not searching right - apologies if this has already been addressed. The more I ponder this, the less I'm inclined to go with this being a software issue. I have another HR21 in another room that's at the same software level (0255) and am going to swap boxes (perfect pain in the astibula) for a final test.

So I'm down to two questions after the long winded intro:
  1. Anybody else have HDMI functionality "go away" to a specific display or brand after the 0255 (or other) software update?
  2. Am I wrong to insist on a swap of same technology (I know I'm leasing, but "paid" for the additional receiver when I signed on four months ago)?

Thanks in advance, all.

I don't have the HR21 specifically but when the H21 took its new software I did not lose HDMI output; BUT I do not have either of those TV brands mentioned. I will also say that the H/HR20 is not really a "backleveled unit" from the H/HR21's. I can see your point, but other than the fact the 21's are black (something I prefer) the 20's, are virtually identical units AND have built-in ATSC. There is nothing really lost in this transaction; IMHO.

I believe I have the same TV, but it only has one HDMI port. I use a HDMI switch to feed that TV port. All of the devices feed the switch (HR21, DVD upscale, PS3). I've had no problems at all.

me tooooooo!

my situation in wierder though. My sound works but not my video!!! I have an hr-21 routed through a samsung 7.1 home theatre in a box to my samsung 46" lcd (LTN4665?)I have had this all set up since last november with no issues. All of a sudden audio and NO VIDEO! tried switching cables and inputs with no luck. stuck with s-video for now. Any suggestions????

reciever is my problem

just remembered I never tried going straight to my tv with hdmi and it works! So, seeing as though my blu-ray works fine in both hdmi ins It must be a software incompatability issue. Which sucks balls. FIX THIS DTV!!!

What happens if you go direct HDMI DirecTV to TV? Kind of confusing as if this was what you were saying above, but if that works then its not a DirecTV issue.

In my case, it was the HDMI port. Took the suspect HR21 to the family room, no output via HDMI, while other HR21 at same software level works fine. D* phone support person was awesome and is sending me a replacement without having to arrange another service call.

This just happened to me with my HR20. For a few days I had a problem with recordings & rewound live TV freezing & losing sound although "live" TV played fine. Then I lost everything, I thought the whole receiver was shot. I noticed that I could still power it on & off just with no picture or sound, so I switched to the component out & BAM works like a charm & no more problems with freezing & glitching. The picture actually looks better through the component anyway. On the info screen it shows the software version as being 0x254 & last updated in july. I have a 65 inch mitsu DLP & have been using the HDMI in with the HR20 for about a year now with this problem only occuring within the last couple weeks.

I have been looking for posts by anyone having a similar problem:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)