HR22 upgrade advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

enricong

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I've had an HR22 for 10yrs or so and have been out of contract for a long time.

Current setup:
- SL5 dish to a SWM to my HR22
- I separately have the RCA cables run to a TV in another room so I can watch TV in another room (I live by myself)
- RF remotes
- I use Team-Media portal on a PC sometimes. It supports SHEF to change channels but I don't think it works with Genie. Losing this feature isnt the end of the world though.

My main complaints are:
1. It has always been slow. A few seconds lag with every button press. Up to 10 seconds to change a channel. 30min to reboot.
2. 100hrs HD DVR capacity, it would be nice to have more
3. 2 tuners only. I rarely have a conflict but another tuner would be nice

I'd appreciate any recommendations on how to request an upgrade and what hardware to request.
Ideally, a drop in replacement would be nice.

I've had an HR22 for 10yrs or so and have been out of contract for a long time.

Current setup:
- SL5 dish to a SWM to my HR22
- I separately have the RCA cables run to a TV in another room so I can watch TV in another room (I live by myself)
- RF remotes
- I use Team-Media portal on a PC sometimes. It supports SHEF to change channels but I don't think it works with Genie. Losing this feature isnt the end of the world though.

My main complaints are:
1. It has always been slow. A few seconds lag with every button press. Up to 10 seconds to change a channel. 30min to reboot.
2. 100hrs HD DVR capacity, it would be nice to have more
3. 2 tuners only. I rarely have a conflict but another tuner would be nice

I'd appreciate any recommendations on how to request an upgrade and what hardware to request.
Ideally, a drop in replacement would be nice.
Move up to a Genie ... a HR44/54 or the Tower HS17 if your ok using clients on other TVs, some are fine and some not with them.

This set up is about 3 generations newer and processor speed will be much better.

Moving to a genie would be considered an upgrade and a two year commitment. If you call and say your DVR is dead they may send a replacement HR24 without a new commitment. It could have lag issues like you have now, though.

Do any of these new Genies support RCA outputs?

I want to be able to watch on two TVs without having to paying and extra monthly cost for another receiver

Should be able to use the composite adapter for the mini’s. It plugs in the same way as component adapter, but has the composite connections instead.

Should be able to use the composite adapter for the mini’s. It plugs in the same way as component adapter, but has the composite connections instead.
only issue would be that he would lose HD with composite, if thats an issue.

The main problem is that if you connect HDMI and an analog connection (whether composite or component) at the same time, the analog connection will be shut off if whatever the HDMI cable is plugged into (i.e. TV or AVR) is powered off. You can get around that by connecting it to a powered splitter, then you could either connect two TVs via HDMI, or one via HDMI and one via analog.

Beware though that pretty much all powered HDMI splitters except for proper brand names use forged HDMI keys, so once those keys get blacklisted they stop working...thus if you buy a cheap powered HDMI splitter from eBay or Amazon you'll probably need to replace it every couple of years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.