HR2x differences?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kbert

Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Arizona
This is my first post.

I decided finally to accept D*'s offer of an HR2x but what will they send me? Do I have a choice? It's my impression that the latest is not necessarily the greatest.

How do the four models differ or are there five by now?

The HR 10-250 was giving me all I need until the latest bird launched.

Incidentally, I'm surprised there's no sticky that addresses this issue. And there must be an FAQ list somewhere but I don't see a link. A forum search came up empty too.

Thanks in advance.

There are plenty of threads addressing the differences, as far as software (firmware) goes, they are all equal, and directv considers all models (HR20,HR21,HR22,HR23) equal as well. The only actual differences are in hardware and appearance. The HR20 is primarly silver with the exception of the HR20-700B which is black, and extremely rare and you most likely will not get that. The 20s also have an integrated OTA Tuner. Some like it, some love it, some hate it. I dont do OTA (or Over the Air) so i dont have an opinion. I also believe this model has a 320GB HDD but im not positive of that. This model as well as the HR21 and HR22 have narrowband tuners and will require BBCs or Broad Band Converters to be used as well. I wont bore you with what they technically do as its not important, just know they are needed and will be supplied if you receive any of those models. The HR21 is nearly identical to the HR20 with two major differences, all models are black in color, and the OTA Tuner was removed. If you plan on using OTA you can have directv send you an AM21 to allow the receiver to access your antenna. This may or may not cost you additional money. The HR21 definitely has a 320GB Hdd. The HR22 is the same as a HR21 except is has a bigger HDD, a 500GB. The HR23 is where the tailspin comes in. This model has some minor and major differences. The 23 is black in color, has a 500gb hdd, but has wide band tuners, so it does not need BBCs. This is a major improvement in hardware, as it can read the Ka band natively without it needing to be converted. This next part I wont speak for because I cant see much difference, but the literal processing chips inside the unit of the 23 are suposidely a major improvement from Broadcomm and are supposed to display a crisper HD picture. As i stated, as a D* Tech, I dont see a difference. But the 23 is supposedly the best. The record light on the front of the receiver is also red on a 23 where it is orange on all previous. If i were you i would hope for the HR23 just because it is newest and has the latest hardware, but if you do OTA I would pray for the HR20-700B (dont count on that though, i would actually probably bet against it to be honest) The model you receive depends specifically on what the tech has instock on his truck. Some of us only carry what we need for the day, some of us have multiples of all receivers. That depends on what our HSP gives us, we have no control over what receivers we carry. Hope all this helps, post back with any questions.

Thanks for the prompt reply twizt; precisely the information I needed.

<<but if you do OTA I would pray for the HR20-700B>>
I own my HR10-250 and hope to use that for OTA recording. My dish is a Slimline 5 LNB.

Some HR20s (early -700s, at least) have a 300 GB hard drive, others have 320.

If you have a SWM system, no BBCs are needed so the difference between HR22 and HR23 is insignificant in this case.

Heres a curveball. Some refurbished HR20's and 21's are coming with a 500gb hard drive. I guess the depot ran out of 320's and since the price difference is about $6 they decided to put 500's in them.

If I had a choice, I'd get the HR23 because it eliminates bbc's which I think are cheaply made and prone to failure, plus it has the larger disk drive and I've heard way too much anecdotal stuff about the picture quality being better than the 20/21/22 to ignore it.

That being said, its hard to find 23's at retail and your odds of getting one from directv is very, very low.

A bit verbose me thinks. :)

verbose??

Some HR20s (early -700s, at least) have a 300 GB hard drive, others have 320.

If you have a SWM system, no BBCs are needed so the difference between HR22 and HR23 is insignificant in this case.

didnt know about the HDD difference in 20s.

as far as the difference between 22/23 being insignificant, well i think you should reread my original post, but thats just my opinion.

Heres a curveball. Some refurbished HR20's and 21's are coming with a 500gb hard drive. I guess the depot ran out of 320's and since the price difference is about $6 they decided to put 500's in them.

If I had a choice, I'd get the HR23 because it eliminates bbc's which I think are cheaply made and prone to failure, plus it has the larger disk drive and I've heard way too much anecdotal stuff about the picture quality being better than the 20/21/22 to ignore it.

That being said, its hard to find 23's at retail and your odds of getting one from directv is very, very low.

as far as the refurbs go, since its just pure luck/chance to get a 500, this isnt something i would count on, or list as a fact of the receiver model.

BBCs, well I couldnt agree more.

And as far as picture quality goes, yea ive heard and read alot, but working with these things nearly everyday takes a toll on your opinion of what you 'hear'. Im not saying that i wouldnt still prefer a 23 personally, just trying to list the facts of each receiver.

Hope i did well :)

I knew you know what it means, thus the smiley.

Your response to the OP was informative, but a few more paragraphs would also have been good. :D

i could go into more detail about the HR23 if you like, and how bbcs work, and what they actually do, but i felt my explanations were long enough lol. Oh so how about this guys, i FAILED a QC today, sup rolled on me, and was inspecting my setup and asked where my second line was for a hddvr, and i told him im gonna use the wall plate behind the computer on the adjacent wall and tuck the cable into the molding, and that i had already replaced the barrel. He informed me it would not fit in the carpet, I told him go look closer, its already hidden half way across the room, he shut up, then told me im missing a bband, i told him no im not, its in the basement, the other line is sharing the cable modem. He just replys with 'what?" and i told him go look behind the computer desk (as im checking signal levels) he says didnt anyone tell you you cant diplex with HD anymore? I asked why not, you just need to move the bbc. he again replies with "what" so i show him the basement, he looks at my diplexer and says well i guess ill pass it as long as you dont get a tech repair, and like a smart ass i replied so your gonna wait 90 days to turn your report in? (laughing a little while i said that) and he said yea you gonna have to change this. I simply replied no im not, its going to work, and im not fishing a line 3 stories for free, and the customers not gonna pay me 125$ to fish and make a jack either. so he leaves, after arguing with me a bit more, i check the status of my job, he failed me for grounding inside the house more than 5 ft away from the water source. im like what a fckng douchebag... excuse the language, but just because a tech knows more about the way stuff works than a sup doesnt mean the sup should find a way to fail him.... he was just pissed about my sharing cable and the ka band. even though he saw it working.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts