HR2x / R22 Receiver Freeze / Reboot Issues (Again)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
People,
It's Frickin TV

So watch something over the AIR for 20 minutes, not a big deal :rolleyes:

Jimbo

Of course, some of us have their OTA running through their HR-20's, too... so that's not an option without moving cables around.

But yes, it is just TV - now, if this had happened during Heroes last night, that would have been another story. :)

I just checked a software download here and received 0x0254.

It is possible that 0x0290 may be in staggered rollout, but not all receivers will receive it now.
We do NOT have any confirmation from DirecTV as to when/if 0x0290 has started rollout.

Generally, receiver software is staggered over parts of the country during a few days or weeks.

I do NOT recommend trying to force-download any software, rather let your receiver do it overnight as intended.

Here in Seaford, NY, both hr21 100 & 700 receivers both received ver. 290.
Initially both units needed to be re-set in order to receive new s/w ver. rolou21

How long does the blue spinner go on

How long does the blue spinner go on after the downloads. It got to the normal second white screen with the logo then it went black and it is just spinning. I dont want to interrupt it if it is writing to eprom or something.

Been a Directv customer since 2000. Had my first hd dvr installed last wed (HR22). Every morning when I turned on the TV and DVR it would re-boot. D came today at 10:00 am and replaced the box. Got update to 255 immediatley and then an auto reboot about 6:00. About 8:00 got software 290. Hope this solves the morning reboot problem. Anyone else had this happen??

Of course, some of us have their OTA running through their HR-20's, too... so that's not an option without moving cables around.

But yes, it is just TV - now, if this had happened during Heroes last night, that would have been another story. :)

Do like I did, run a splitter on the OTA line and run one into the HR2x and the other directly to the TV, this way you can use both without any cables being moved :)

jimbo

Received 0290, I have HR21-700, trying to get the 1080p resolution checked off, but everytime I do I get a message stating that my TV does not accept Directv's 1080p broadcast, untrue, I have a Sony Bravia 1080p with my box hooked up via hdmi, I have a PS3/BluRay player that displays the 1080p with no problems, any suggestions?
I had a similiar problem and I found that if you select 1080P and as soon as the screen goes "gray", press the info button and it will acknowledge your TV's capability to display 1080P providing it can. This worked for me on my Sony XBR w/full 1080p

Both of my HR21s were not responsive when I got home at 10:15pm. The drives were spinning but they would not power on. I tried a Red button reset and the power button light came on briefly but then went out. I then recycled power but experienced the same results, power button light briefly came on but then went out. :confused:

I then saw this thread so I decided to plug one of the units in and just left it sit there. About 5 minutes later out of nowhere it powered itself on. :rolleyes: 10 minutes after that the software update download message appeared. :up Now it is sitting at 97% complete and I'm anxious to see what happens next... :hungry:

Last edited:
AIM08,
My TV shows that my PS3 runs at 1080p/24, so I am going to try your method, my only worry is, this is kind of a cheat, when Directv does come out with PPV etc under 1080p will we be able to see the picture or will it be gray? Because other then this, I have tried everything from resetting etc to get it to read my tv's 1080p/24 and it just isnt...

AIM08,
My TV shows that my PS3 runs at 1080p/24, so I am going to try your method, my only worry is, this is kind of a cheat, when Directv does come out with PPV etc under 1080p will we be able to see the picture or will it be gray? Because other then this, I have tried everything from resetting etc to get it to read my tv's 1080p/24 and it just isnt...

Matt,
I believe this is a firmware glitch. I noticed that both the 780p and 1080i lamps on the DVR were on at the same time (hence the reason for the gray screen) Only time will tell if this work around did the trick. Keep your fingers crossed.
:eureka

Anyone getting audio "pops" after this release? I have noticed it on my HR-21 and H21. They are both hooked up with L/R cables and "popped" during the SD and HD showing of The Mentalist. Maybe an isolated case. Also, the HR-21 is getting the dreaded 771 error on tuner 1 when recording an HD broadcast and then trying to watch another HD channel. SD is available with no error. My second HR-21 is fine for both tuners. Any ideas? Software is 0290 confirmed. THX!

EDIT: Have yet to try 1080p/24fps on Mits TV.

Anyone getting audio "pops" after this release? I have noticed it on my HR-21 and H21. They are both hooked up with L/R cables and "popped" during the SD and HD showing of The Mentalist. Maybe an isolated case. Also, the HR-21 is getting the dreaded 771 error on tuner 1 when recording an HD broadcast and then trying to watch another HD channel. SD is available with no error. My second HR-21 is fine for both tuners. Any ideas? Software is 0290 confirmed. THX!

EDIT: Have yet to try 1080p/24fps on Mits TV.

I don't have HR21's, but with the HR20's, I have had No popping sounds, no problems at all really. :)

As for the 771 error, is it on sat channels or Locals or OTA ?
Are you still getting the channel, but the 771 error still shows ?

If the channel is still playing and it just shows for a sec or so, I would not worry about it, if you are not getting the channel, then you have other issues to look into.

Jimbo

I don't have HR21's, but with the HR20's, I have had No popping sounds, no problems at all really. :)

As for the 771 error, is it on sat channels or Locals or OTA ?
Are you still getting the channel, but the 771 error still shows ?

If the channel is still playing and it just shows for a sec or so, I would not worry about it, if you are not getting the channel, then you have other issues to look into.

Jimbo

The test was done while recording channel 206 (ESPNHD) and then turning to any HD channel. No OTA, just blank screen with the 771 error for tuner 1. I originally received the 771 error for tuner 2, but swapped the cables from Sat1 to Sat2 to test the BBCs connected, so it did follow the BBC. Wondering if thats the cause, but in the setup screen it says Tuner 1 94% received/connected, Tuner 2 89% received/connected. Since I can watch an SD channel while recording an HD channel, I wonder if Tuner 1 isn't receiving any HD signals? Is that possible?

Another test for me was to disconnect both boxes (HR-21s) from their wireless ethernet adapters (Linksys WGA600n) since both lock up all the time (2-3 times a week). Just trying to see if that makes a stability difference.

EDIT: Doesn't the BBC allow the HD only channels in? Maybe that is the fix?? These are both HR21-100s

Last edited:
atp,
Seeing you already had the 290 CE update from over the weekend, can you check your Software Past Upgrade spot and see if it says todays date or over the past w/e's date ?

Thanks,
Jimbo

I can answer that, It shows 10/18. I downloaded the 290 CE on my HR21-700/AM21.

I had NO IDEA there was a problem with freezing/rebooting until this morning when I logged in.

I got home last night about 5:30pm CDT and watched TV until after Midnight without any issues. Same thing this morning. Watched the news and checked the guide for tonights shows without issue.

Maybe I'm just lucky:confused:

i think you can make it a permanent setting under the hdtv menu
Yeah< I went in and checked it to see if my TV supported it (it does) but I was under the impression that it would only output 1080p when playing a 1080p VOD. I may be wrong.

In any case, I wouldnt benefit any from leaving it in 1080p rez, just curious

Yeah< I went in and checked it to see if my TV supported it (it does) but I was under the impression that it would only output 1080p when playing a 1080p VOD. I may be wrong.

In any case, I wouldnt benefit any from leaving it in 1080p rez, just curious

that's correct. i have mine set to 1080i all the time. looks best to me that way. i've tried all the other settings. my 1080p is 60hz so i'm screwed. so are many hdtv's. press info for your tv to see if it says 1080p@24hz when you set your dvr to 1080p. if it does then you know already that it's upscaling it to 1080p .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts