HR34 release date

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
all i want to know is the good points and the bad points about the hr34 dvr.

I'm amused and amazed at the myopia...

DBSTalk deletes posts, but so does this site. The posts that are deleted? They're the same at both sites: they're the ones that contain personal attacks against members of the respective forums. Except for one exception, I've never seen posts removed here or at DBSTalk where there was not a personal attack involved.

The one exception is that the DBSTalk forum has defined their own rules for CE testing and discussion. Hell, it's their forum and they can certainly set the rules for how they want to conduct testing, and they created a rule that CE discussion has to remain in the CE forum. The reason? They require special registration for access to the CE forum, so web crawlers are banned and users doing random Google searches will not find information that is specific to a CE. Again, their forum, their rules.

And what do those rules get DBSTalk? Seems to me they get appreciation and gratitude from DIRECTV for not publicizing features and services that are not yet available to all customers, which in turn limits calls to customer service, etc.

As to how DBSTalk chooses testers for first looks? Anyone who observes their CE polls, issues reporting threads and discussion threads can see the pattern: Prior to them creating first look teams, some seemingly random polls will be started by moderators, asking who has certain hardware or network connectivity or whatever. Then when the first looks come out and you find out who was testing, you can compare to how those people reported issues and were involved in discussions. They are the people who seem to have thorough issue reports, that stick to the facts and leave out emotion or sentiment, and also spur conversation by asking questions regarding the software, the direction the CE cycle is taking, etc. If I'm running a test team, I want the good people - the people who are involved, who write well, who aren't afraid to put in time.

Now finally, my last reason for being amazed and amused: compare the CE participation here and there. Look at the post counts in CE discussion threads here and there. With all of the "rules" that they have that are so derided here, they seem to have a lot of folks involved, while over here where anything goes, there are usually very few posts each week about the CE process. (Hundreds there compared to dozens here.)

So ... there you go. Feel free to dismiss me as a fanboi of DIRECTV or DBSTalk or whatever... I don't care. All I care about is that the software and experience improves, and I see that happening, so I get the benefit out of both sites contributing when a NR comes out.

Yes Optimist, you make some very good points. And thanks for the "honest" feedback, which would never be deleted here. Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and it's great that you have the opportunity here to present your views!

DBSTalk deletes posts, but so does this site. The posts that are deleted? They're the same at both sites: they're the ones that contain personal attacks against members of the respective forums. Except for one exception, I've never seen posts removed here or at DBSTalk where there was not a personal attack involved.

I agree with you, but to a point. What qualifies there as a personal attack is much different than here. Over there you can't ever question a moderators decision publicly. On the surface they don't want to ever be wrong. I've had posts deleted there. When I asked via pm why, I was told they didn't want to look bad!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)