HR44 Recording Glitch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

drickles

Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
I recently was sent an HR44 as a replacement for my terribly slow HR34. Have been very pleased for the most part, but recently I've been getting small glitches during recorded programs. The screen will freeze, sometimes the picture will "pixellate", then jump forward maybe 2 - 5 seconds. This happens multiple times during the recordings. This only happens on a recorded program. It does not happen when watching a program live. Curious if anyone has seen anything similar. Always great information on this site. I have found it very helpful.

I recently was sent an HR44 as a replacement for my terribly slow HR34. Have been very pleased for the most part, but recently I've been getting small glitches during recorded programs. The screen will freeze, sometimes the picture will "pixellate", then jump forward maybe 2 - 5 seconds. This happens multiple times during the recordings. This only happens on a recorded program. It does not happen when watching a program live. Curious if anyone has seen anything similar. Always great information on this site. I have found it very helpful.
I would do a simple reboot first, that often will solve a lot of minor issues.
If it continues, it's possible that that box has a bad hard drive in in.

I would do a simple reboot first, that often will solve a lot of minor issues.
If it continues, it's possible that that box has a bad hard drive in in.

I tried a reboot and it didn't seem to help. Was really hoping it wasn't a bad hard drive and have to go through the return process again. Thanks for the information.

I checked connections, cleared off as much as I could (80% free) and even tried doing some recordings on the OTA channels to see if it still happened, but still get the glitches during recordings.

You should probably run the hard drive diagnostic test. It takes a while, but it may show you have a hard drive issue.

Reactions: maestro7
I checked connections, cleared off as much as I could (80% free) and even tried doing some recordings on the OTA channels to see if it still happened, but still get the glitches during recordings.
Sorry, it's happening on all your recordings ?

I am having a similar problem with my HR44. We recorded all 5+ seasons of Game of Thrones from On-Demand and began watching them last week. I noticed that on several of the episodes (not all), the DVR will freeze, pixilate momentarily, then skip ahead several seconds. This happens every 30 or so seconds but not on every episode (we have watched about 12 episodes so far). I did delete and re-record several of the episodes that were having problems and they seemed to play OK after being re-recorded. I have reset the DVR several times and the problem persists. I was wondering if the problem could be in recording all those episodes at once (although we did this with Dexter several months ago and had no problems). I deleted all remaining episodes with the intention of only recording 3-5 at a time.

Anybody have any ideas or similar problems. I did download the instructions for doing the BIST but am not sure I want to do the testing since the problem only seems to affect one show.

Thanks for the feedback and the documentation. Very frustrating glitch. I will let you know if things clear up.

Decided to call DirecTv Friday during lunch. Very friendly customer service rep agreed that it might be a bad hard drive. Sent me a replacement 44, which I received Saturday. So far, no glitches when recording the same programs and channels.

Reactions: Jimbo and raoul5788
Been seeing this since we got an hr44. Doesn't always "jump ahead" but many times it just pauses from 1 - 3 seconds and then resumes. It's very frustrating and swapping DVR means losing everything so I think we're just going to wait until contract expiration and switch to cable with their 6 tuner multi room solution. If we're going to lose recordings, might as well just switch and save on triple play bundle since I hear directv retention offers stink since AT&T took over.

Been seeing this since we got an hr44. Doesn't always "jump ahead" but many times it just pauses from 1 - 3 seconds and then resumes. It's very frustrating and swapping DVR means losing everything so I think we're just going to wait until contract expiration and switch to cable with their 6 tuner multi room solution. If we're going to lose recordings, might as well just switch and save on triple play bundle since I hear directv retention offers stink since AT&T took over.
Retention stinks ?
It doesn't stink, they just aren't gonna give you the house like they have previous years.
I've never really had ANY issues with Retention, always friendly and helpful.

Retention stinks ?
It doesn't stink, they just aren't gonna give you the house like they have previous years.
I've never really had ANY issues with Retention, always friendly and helpful.

Just going by other threads out there, haven't had to use them yet. Once game of thrones and outlander are over and I call to cancel HBO and Starz, we'll see if there's any deals.

The genie stuttering is frustrating though and if it is a hard drive, then the thought of loosing everything we might as well shop around as it sort of levels the playing field wish Dish Network and Cable.

Just going by other threads out there, haven't had to use them yet. Once game of thrones and outlander are over and I call to cancel HBO and Starz, we'll see if there's any deals.

The genie stuttering is frustrating though and if it is a hard drive, then the thought of loosing everything we might as well shop around as it sort of levels the playing field wish Dish Network and Cable.
Sooooooo .... you really don't want to cancel HBO and Starz, you just want a promoted price.

As for the DVR issue, not sure what is causing the issue, I haven't had any issues with stuttering, I did have a few issues with a partial recording a few weeks ago, but it seems tomhave resolved itself as it hasn't happened since the one day.

You should know as you've been here long enough that hard drives are always suspect as they run almost constantly, so they eventually wear out .... DON'T think that it doesn't happen with DISH and Cable as well.

You should also know not to record anything with the intention of keeping it forever, if you need it permanently, record it and move it to another format.

I'm seeing something similar with my HR24-100 box. It's not my main receiver so didn't bother me as much at first but now rustling my jimmies.. Seems anything I record these days from that box is impacted. I'll watch a minute or two of a recorded show then it pauses for a few seconds 4-10 seconds. The box is also slower than it used to be. I access shows from my other DVR downstairs from this box and that plays fine. I've done a reboot but I'm guessing it's time to run some tests to see if the harddrive is dying.

I can try to run that fsck or bist whatever but we never ever have 20-30 hours where the HR44 is off. Might have to wait until the first week of august when I can kick it off before we go on vacation for the week. But then the issue for that is it will sit on that screen for a week and not record anything, so we would have to move all our recordings to the HR24.

Might try to get an identical drive and clone it. I've done that before on the HR24 to preserve recordings on a drive that failed but came up long enough after being in the freezer for a few hours.

I can try to run that fsck or bist whatever but we never ever have 20-30 hours where the HR44 is off. Might have to wait until the first week of august when I can kick it off before we go on vacation for the week. But then the issue for that is it will sit on that screen for a week and not record anything, so we would have to move all our recordings to the HR24.

Might try to get an identical drive and clone it. I've done that before on the HR24 to preserve recordings on a drive that failed but came up long enough after being in the freezer for a few hours.
I believe there more than one test you can run that may help you, you may not need the 20 hr one, I thought there was one that Might take several hours, I remember running it quite awhile ago and I let it go over night and was more than done in the AM.

I'm seeing something similar with my HR24-100 box. It's not my main receiver so didn't bother me as much at first but now rustling my jimmies.. Seems anything I record these days from that box is impacted. I'll watch a minute or two of a recorded show then it pauses for a few seconds 4-10 seconds. The box is also slower than it used to be. I access shows from my other DVR downstairs from this box and that plays fine. I've done a reboot but I'm guessing it's time to run some tests to see if the harddrive is dying.
IF more than you are having that issue, it sounds more like a software issue, not a bad drive.
If 20 people (I know its not that many at least here) are having the issue, that would tell you its not your unit per sa.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts