Huge andrews dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andyboy90

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Edmonton, Canada
this dish is at the air traffic control building by my workplace. I want to ask them about it but then I realize there is no way something like this can be set up in a residential setting.
Pm2NQM2.jpg

YcMDN90.jpg

Oh wow, Canada has those commie HOAs too? Canadian laws are typically more sane than the Americans' so I figured they would've been banned up there.

When we bought this house, if it was in a HOA it would've been a deal breaker.

Oh wow, Canada has those commie HOAs too? Canadian laws are typically more sane than the Americans' so I figured they would've been banned up there.

When we bought this house, if it was in a HOA it would've been a deal breaker.
We do have HOAs but most of them are not bad to deal with. Thankfully where I live there is no HOA. I think our town has a bylaw that states that the top of a satellite dish cannot exceed 12ft from the ground. What i cant remember is that if this law only applies if a dish is installed in the front of the property or this applies to a backyard too

If the dish is tall tilt the dish back so it looks smaller then you can say its not 12 feet off the ground. Hehe

Reactions: raydio
this dish is at the air traffic control building by my workplace. I want to ask them about it but then I realize there is no way something like this can be set up in a residential setting.
Pm2NQM2.jpg

YcMDN90.jpg
hell id'e park that bitch in my back yard and not cared what anyone thought. untill they pay my bills and taxes no one is gonna tell me what i can and can't do on my property;)

That's good because Edmonton's by-law is quite prohibitive. I'd be done in for sure. My 10 footer is 4 feet from the sidewalk in front of my house, 2 feet from the property line.
Its a good thing that my house faces north so i can put the dish in my backyard and nobody other than my adjacent neighbors would notice it

Andy!
Firs ask that company whether they agree to give the dish to you. And then install it in such a way that it is hidden behind your house, so nobody can see it. I did it couple of years ago and nobody complains. :) IMG_20180919_180118 (Large).jpg

Its a good thing that my house faces north so i can put the dish in my backyard and nobody other than my adjacent neighbors would notice it

I think that unless you really want a fixed dish, the Andrews would be hard to justify. Just getting it down would probably require a crane and special insurance. There are still plenty of good 'ol C band dishes out there free for the taking that would be much easier to get and set up.

Crane! What for?! Possible to dismantle step-by-step and piece-by-piece, transport by trailer and assemble again in a new place. That is from experience.

Reactions: danristheman
I think that we are counting chickens before they hatchet ;). But, wait a minute.... why not dream little bit! :bow
Let's say the company agrees to give away the dish. Than the easiest and cheapest way to remove it would be on the route I've marked in yellow. 8 aluminum petals the dish is made from not so heavy but quite bulky. So, 3 persons in 1-2 days wold be able to dismantle all parts and slide them on roped to the ground.
P.S. Solid dish, such as this Andrew is much better than any mesh one, cuz it will work better, especially in K-band. YcMDN90.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)