Hughes Net Dish

Here's the LNBF I have for it. "Geosatpro SL1-PLL Standard Ku LNB." Ordered it from Hypermegasat. If there's a better choice for tuning it, I'm up for suggestions. I need to look to see what the Lo Frequency is to set it properly at the receiver. I'm going to try and use this meter to locate the signal and fine tune it.

View attachment 136854
It processes the raw signal, but it won't decode the video or audio. I've used it to peak the signal on several FTA dishes. So far, it's worked well on C-Band and Ku. I used it a lot when I was installing Dish & DirecTV.

That's a good lnb for your permanent one, but I wouldn't use it for aiming with an unknown dish that you don't know where exactly to put the lnb. It'll cause you grief, because it's a pll model and will track the signal even if you aren't aimed right.

Reactions: wvman
That's a good lnb for your permanent one, but I wouldn't use it for aiming with an unknown dish that you don't know where exactly to put the lnb. It'll cause you grief, because it's a pll model and will track the signal even if you aren't aimed right.
I had to wait for day light to take measurements. 103w (cozi & nbc feeds are good)
I have the LNB set at 201/2 inches from the center 4 bolts of the dish, and 31/2 inches from the holding arm to the center of the LNB.
When I measurements to 99w (info wars , JBS, news feeds) It is set at 21" and 31/2 from the arm.
When I locked a signal I adjusted the LNB to the best signal on that satellite.

Measuring and putting the data into a calculator will be as good, assuming that it realy is a parabolic mirror. Can be done anywhere. :)
If it's not a parabolic form, then the mirror method might be best.

BTW. An LNB on an offset dish should be aimed lower than the middle of the dish, somewhere between the deepest point of the dish and the half-subtended angle point for the LNB (G-spot). Deepest point has highest beam density I believe I read, and G-spot has least spil-over; so somewhere between those two seems to be a good compromise.

greetz,
A33

I've found no indication that it's anything other than parabolic in shape. It's uniform in depth when measured at 4 points 90 degrees apart. I plan on painting the reflector as soon as the weather permits, and I may measure in 8 inches from the outer edge and score a line completely around the reflector. Once done, I can lay a straight edge across the reflector and measure from the straight edge to the line and see what I come up with. Just looking at it, I'd bet it's the same no matter where you check it.

As you can see in my last picture, I straightened the old feed legs and mounted them to the reflector, and I'll use them as indicated, but it would be interesting to know if I'm correct about its shape. :) As they say, curiosity killed the cat. :biggrin

Do you have a preference on which one to use in the initial setup? I'm kinda new to using dishes other than C-Band for Ku reception. If I can make this one work, I think I may have a handle on two more of these. It would have been nice if the old electronics were still there so I could have taken a few measurements, but that's neither here nor there.

If you have a suggestion on an LNBF, I'll order one. Any help you could offer will be greatly appreciated. :)

I may measure in 8 inches from the outer edge and score a line completely around the reflector. Once done, I can lay a straight edge across the reflector and measure from the straight edge to the line and see what I come up with. Just looking at it, I'd bet it's the same no matter where you check it.

I cannot visualize what/how you want to measure precisely; maybe due to my not being a native english speaker.
Has the dish, in fact, a flat front? Is the rim different in height at various positions? If you lay the dish down and fill the "working area" of it with water, does the water form a circle, or an ellips? If an ellips, with how long 'long axis' and 'short axis'?

Greetz,
A33

I cannot visualize what/how you want to measure precisely; maybe due to my not being a native english speaker.
Has the dish, in fact, a flat front? Is the rim different in height at various positions? If you lay the dish down and fill the "working area" of it with water, does the water form a circle, or an ellips? If an ellips, with how long 'long axis' and 'short axis'?

Greetz,
A33

Before I installed the feed legs, I laid the dish face down on my grarage floor and it laid flat all the way around, no gaps. I didn't do the water test, but I'd bet the water would form a perfect circle. :)

Do you have a preference on which one to use in the initial setup? I'm kinda new to using dishes other than C-Band for Ku reception. If I can make this one work, I think I may have a handle on two more of these. It would have been nice if the old electronics were still there so I could have taken a few measurements, but that's neither here nor there.

If you have a suggestion on an LNBF, I'll order one. Any help you could offer will be greatly appreciated. :)

No preference except that it shouldn't be PLL. If that's the only ku lnb you have, you might as well use it and see what happens. It'll be harder to tweak it exactly, but not much else you can do if it's your only one.

If the dish face is flat, the rim is equally high all around (so the water forms an exact circle), and the deepest point is exactly in the middle, it is a prime focus dish I would say.
It would be strange if that is the case, and still the LNB is positioned not in the PF focal point, but at a 'byrider' position (as is the case with multifeed setups)....

Greetz,
A33

No preference except that it shouldn't be PLL. If that's the only ku lnb you have, you might as well use it and see what happens. It'll be harder to tweak it exactly, but not much else you can do if it's your only one.

Since I posted that, I found another LNB I had forgot about. It's a GT-SAT, GT-QDC40 N.F. 0.2db LO 9.75/10.6 Ghz. I didn't see anything on the tag to indicate it's a PLL LNBF. I remember ordering it off EBay several months ago. Here's the specs on it.

• Input Frequency Range:Low 10.7 - 11.7GHz High 11.7 - 12.75GHz
  • Output Frequency Range:Low 950 - 1950MHz High 1100 - 2150MHz
  • L.O. Frequency:Low 9.75 GHz High 10.60 GHz
  • L.O. Frequency Stability: +/-1 MHz (Max) Room Temp.
  • Noise Figure: 0.2dB (Typ.)
  • Conversion Gain: 57 ~ 61 dB
  • Gain Flatness 26 MHz Bandwidth: +/-0.5dB (Typ.)
  • Polarity Switching Voltage: VERTICAL: 11.0 ~ 14.0 Vdc / HORIZONTAL: 16.0 ~ 20.0 Vdc
  • Band Switching: Low Band : 0 kHz / High Band : 22 kHz (+/- 4kHz)
  • Cross-Pol. Isolation: 25 dB (Typ.)
  • Image Rejection: 40 dB (Min.)
  • Output Spurious:
  • Current Consumption: 90 mA (Typ.)
  • Output Connector Type: 75 OHMS F-Female
  • Operating Temperature Range: -40°C ~ +65°C
  • GT-SAT standard Quad FTA LNBF

Reactions: primestar31
If the dish face is flat, the rim is equally high all around (so the water forms an exact circle), and the deepest point is exactly in the middle, it is a prime focus dish I would say.
It would be strange if that is the case, and still the LNB is positioned not in the PF focal point, but at a 'byrider' position (as is the case with multifeed setups)....

Greetz,
A33

There are several dishes with a similar shape installed on business roofs all over in this area. Given the fact that multiple LNB's can be installed left or right of center on a standard C-Band dish to receive multiple satellites at the same time, reinforces the idea that this particular dish is in fact a standard parabolic design. As I said earlier, I have a lead on 2 other dishes just like this one.

If I get them, I'm going to remove the offset feed supports and fabricate a set of prime focus feed legs just to see how well, or if it performs at all. My guess is it will. If that's the case, I'll set one up using a prime focus installation just for the hell of it. :) I'm retired now, so I have lots of time on my hands. :)

Since I posted that, I found another LNB I had forgot about. It's a GT-SAT, GT-QDC40 N.F. 0.2db LO 9.75/10.6 Ghz. I didn't see anything on the tag to indicate it's a PLL LNBF. I remember ordering it off EBay several months ago. Here's the specs on it.

• Input Frequency Range:Low 10.7 - 11.7GHz High 11.7 - 12.75GHz
  • Output Frequency Range:Low 950 - 1950MHz High 1100 - 2150MHz
  • L.O. Frequency:Low 9.75 GHz High 10.60 GHz
  • L.O. Frequency Stability: +/-1 MHz (Max) Room Temp.
  • Noise Figure: 0.2dB (Typ.)
  • Conversion Gain: 57 ~ 61 dB
  • Gain Flatness 26 MHz Bandwidth: +/-0.5dB (Typ.)
  • Polarity Switching Voltage: VERTICAL: 11.0 ~ 14.0 Vdc / HORIZONTAL: 16.0 ~ 20.0 Vdc
  • Band Switching: Low Band : 0 kHz / High Band : 22 kHz (+/- 4kHz)
  • Cross-Pol. Isolation: 25 dB (Typ.)
  • Image Rejection: 40 dB (Min.)
  • Output Spurious:
  • Current Consumption: 90 mA (Typ.)
  • Output Connector Type: 75 OHMS F-Female
  • Operating Temperature Range: -40°C ~ +65°C
  • GT-SAT standard Quad FTA LNBF

That's a universal lnb, and will work fine for aiming. It is NOT PLL. You need to use the LO 9.75/10.6 lnb choice on your receivers satellite menu, and if it doesn't do it automatically, turn the 22k setting ON. (to select high band).

That's a universal lnb, and will work fine for aiming. It is NOT PLL. You need to use the LO 9.75/10.6 lnb choice on your receivers satellite menu, and if it doesn't do it automatically, turn the 22k setting ON. (to select high band).

One question. This dish will eventually be hooked to an 8-way diseqc switch along with the rest of my dishes. In an earlier discussion, I asked if I would need an external power supply since I was running multiple dishes. I was told I wouldn't unless I was switching polarity with a 22K tone.

All 5 of the dishes presently hooked to the switch does not use a 22K tone. Can I set the receiver to power an LNB using a 22K tone without creating a problem with the others? I assume you can choose 22k switching on one port without affecting the others. Is that correct?

One question. This dish will eventually be hooked to an 8-way diseqc switch along with the rest of my dishes. In an earlier discussion, I asked if I would need an external power supply since I was running multiple dishes. I was told I wouldn't unless I was switching polarity with a 22K tone.

All 5 of the dishes presently hooked to the switch does not use a 22K tone. Can I set the receiver to power an LNB using a 22K tone without creating a problem with the others? I assume you can choose 22k switching on one port without affecting the others. Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct. However when you are just tweaking/adjusting/tuning in this dish, don't do it through that switch to add complexity. Have your receiver/meter/whatever you are using hooked directly to that dish, all by itself. Once you have the lnb all tweaked in, then you can run a line to the 8-way switch and network it to the rest.

Yes, that's correct. However when you are just tweaking/adjusting/tuning in this dish, don't do it through that switch to add complexity. Have your receiver/meter/whatever you are using hooked directly to that dish, all by itself. Once you have the lnb all tweaked in, then you can run a line to the 8-way switch and network it to the rest.

I plan on using my Channel Master 1007IFD meter to tune the dish. Since it only measures raw signal, and does not decode the video or audio, I was going to use it only to locate "A" satellite in order to set the LNB at the proper focal point. Once this is done, I can used the receiver on a separate coax to locate the satellite I'm planning on parking it on.

The meter is for tweaking the focal distance only. It has an analog meter, so the slightest signal will bump the meter, indicating you're close to a satellite. I had no plans of trying to tune it through a switch, but thanks for the heads up. This meter has an internal power supply, but it also has a loop through option, giving you the ability to power the LNB using the receiver. I've always found that option to be impractical when doing the initial tune up on a dish.

This meter also eliminates the need to choose a Lo frequency since it only looks at the raw satellite signal. :)

I plan on using my Channel Master 1007IFD meter to tune the dish. Since it only measures raw signal, and does not decode the video or audio, I was going to use it only to locate "A" satellite in order to set the LNB at the proper focal point. Once this is done, I can used the receiver on a separate coax to locate the satellite I'm planning on parking it on.

The meter is for tweaking the focal distance only. It has an analog meter, so the slightest signal will bump the meter, indicating you're close to a satellite. I had no plans of trying to tune it through a switch, but thanks for the heads up. This meter has an internal power supply, but it also has a loop through option, giving you the ability to power the LNB using the receiver. I've always found that option to be impractical when doing the initial tune up on a dish.

This meter also eliminates the need to choose a Lo frequency since it only looks at the raw satellite signal. :)

Aim it at 95w for CCTV 11780 H 20760. VERY strong signal to get you in the ballpark quickly. Once you get it tuned in, use the GAIN knob on that meter to tweak the signal as high as you can get it without maxing it out/pegging the meter. If you use Dishpointer.com, you can sight it right at the location of your dish on your property with Google Maps, and using local trees or parts of your roof, or whatever's handy to roughly aim the dish in the general direction. That's what I do. Saves a ton of time.

Aim it at 95w for CCTV 11780 H 20760. VERY strong signal to get you in the ballpark quickly. Once you get it tuned in, use the GAIN knob on that meter to tweak the signal as high as you can get it without maxing it out/pegging the meter. If you use Dishpointer.com, you can sight it right at the location of your dish on your property with Google Maps, and using local trees or parts of your roof, or whatever's handy to roughly aim the dish in the general direction. That's what I do. Saves a ton of time.

I actually thought of that, but was considering aiming it at the WV Lottery satellite since the elevation is already set for that particular satellite. Setting it to 85W was my second choice since I have no way of knowing if anyone tampered with the elevation bolt while taking it down. It would have been nice if it still had the original feed on it so I could have taken a few measurments before installing the new LNB.

I really appreciate all the advice and help. Will keep you posted with my progress. :)

I actually thought of that, but was considering aiming it at the WV Lottery satellite since the elevation is already set for that particular satellite. Setting it to 85W was my second choice since I have no way of knowing if anyone tampered with the elevation bolt while taking it down. It would have been nice if it still had the original feed on it so I could have taken a few measurments before installing the new LNB.

I really appreciate all the advice and help. Will keep you posted with my progress. :)

I don't think there's anything on 85w anymore. I couldn't get the Echostar slate back in September when I was tweaking mine, so I don't think it's there anymore. However, I was receiving some sort of BLIPS on 12180 H 30000.

I don't think there's anything on 85w anymore. I couldn't get the Echostar slate back in September when I was tweaking mine, so I don't think it's there anymore. However, I was receiving some sort of BLIPS on 12180 H 30000.

97W has several Ku channels on it, and it's almost due south from my location. A lot of the channels on this satellite are FTA as well. I'll just be happy to find the sweet spot for the feed, and then I can decide on what satellite I want to park it on. :) It look as if there a movie channel on 11960 V.

97W has several Ku channels on it, and it's almost due south from my location. A lot of the channels on this satellite are FTA as well. I'll just be happy to find the sweet spot for the feed, and then I can decide on what satellite I want to park it on. :) It look as if there a movie channel on 11960 V.

Yeah, those are like Iraqi movies, or something middle-eastern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)