Humpty Dumpty C-Band dish sat on a wall.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
will probably do some tweaking tonite. Right now a couple TP's are lower than I want them to be but all are stable enough (45 on nets, 33 on KCWY, 60 on My Net and of course 89 on WHT...crazy religious channels and their strong signal)

How about this:

Assume it's 10 feet to the top of the dish. A wind of 25 MPH applies 4.5 pounds of pressure per square foot. Your base will have to overcome approximately 1260 pounds of force to stay upright.

Assume that a mesh dish has a 50% open area, then only 630 pounds are required to keep it upright.

That's always been the advantage of a mesh dish, lower wind loads.

Just food for thought. Imagine the load on your house foundation and walls.

Harold

How about this:
...Assume that a mesh dish has a 50% open area, then only 630 pounds are required to keep it upright.

That's always been the advantage of a mesh dish, lower wind loads.
It's been said before - at moderate wind speeds, a mesh dish receives similar wind loading to that of a solid dish. This is because the mesh causes wind turbulence that creates wind resistance similar to a solid dish. At low wind speeds, the turbulence has a lesser affect, but the affect heightens as wind speed increases, until there is not effective difference in performance against wind.

What caddata wrote and use stainless steal hose clamps to connect the old bent tubing right next to the new ones. I thing some people do it with wood? Should be close in lenght to give max strength but can be shorter.

Also I did the bag thing myself with a 6' mesh dish like 10 years ago. Found that the plastic of the sand bag breaks down in the sun. If you cover the bags with something to keep them out of the sun you should get some more time of out of them.

Good luck and send us some pics of your fix.

Lowes, Home Depot, and some well stocked hardware/building supply stores carry various sizes of aluminum and steel square tubing. Measure or take a damaged piece with you and see if it can be matched in size and material.

Harold

I had a dish blow away once........ It was a sad day :(

It wasn't mounted yet. It was lying in the back yard waiting for the concrete for the post to dry. "It's heavy enough (solid alum 8') , it'll be ok" I thought. It wasn't !

I was going to put it up one night after work, but THAT very afternoon a a big t-storm blew through before I got home. Of course when I did get home, the dish wasn't in my back yard anymore ! I looked around and found it in the neighbor's yard after it apparantly did a few somersaults and folded over on itself. That was not a good feeling. I did get $13 for it at the scrapyard though:)

Now I make sure everything is well attached or weighted down.

Ice, Any way you could clamp down the dish / table ? Maybe with cheap C-Clamps ?

The dish is clamped to the table....I reinforced the table with some 3" screws :)

The one time the wind tipped the dish and the table . The dish was still attached to the table :)

It looks like you just got lucky Ice. From the drawing and a view of the photos you posted it looks like you need 2 of item 25 and one of item 20. I can't tell from the last photo if anything is bent there. Replacement parts should be cheaper than a new dish.:)

.....replace any damaged panels as well....

Sadoun:

Does this mean you're able to get replacement parts now? My earlier post saying replacement panels weren't available was based on an email to your Customer Service Department about a month ago. At that time, I was told that replacement parts weren't available.

Thanks,
Harold

Ouch....! Take a break from the site a few days, and disaster strikes. Sorry to hear about your 6'ers fall Tony. I hope Sadoun can get you back up to par. It doesn't seem like too much of a fix, but I know it had to make you "Sick" when it happened? I also know the Iceberg will get it worked out!

Al

Sadoun:

Does this mean you're able to get replacement parts now? My earlier post saying replacement panels weren't available was based on an email to your Customer Service Department about a month ago. At that time, I was told that replacement parts weren't available.

Thanks,
Harold
Yea I'd like to know the same thing. I have a 180cm "stationary" and would like to make it into a "polar mount" but I need the modified circular ring on the back. I was told awhile back they (Sadoun's) couldn't get replacement parts and I would have to buy a whole new dish :(.

Harold

we don't have replacement parts sold separately. But sometimes, we get a dish shipped to us by the supplier that maybe damaged or the box is bad, so we sell as parts. I have to check if we have any in the warehouse.

The best thing to do if you need parts for the 180cm dish is to look at the drawing and then email sales @ sadoun.com with the item numbers you need and quantity. We will let you know if we have any available and the price.

That also goes to most of the dishes we sell.

well it did it again :(

Just got it all back up nice yesterday and swapped out the old LNB for the 621 and very windy today. Come home and KABOOM. Dish on its side laying again and the legs on the back in a crumpled heap. Went out and tipped it back up but we'll see tomorrow how it looks. Had my nieces over so no time to work on it.

I have to fasten (guywire) my antennas and dishes against the winds. I use nylon parachute cords. It does not always keep them from turning but only one OTA beam (26 foot boom, at 36 feet up) will not stay up, but do not need that one since I got Glorystar dish set-up. I guyed them top and bottom and both sides to the front and back. Have had sustained (1 minute average) of 65 mph with one gust of 111.8 mph.

I was worried my dish would spin yesterday but got lucky wind was nuts all day yesterday.
sorry to hear it fell again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)