HWS not releasing phone line

So can you explain this from start to end? You plug the phone line in and then the phones in the home go dead? Or what after someone calls and caller ID is displayed, then the Hopper never releases the line? If thats the case, if you unplug and reconnect the phone line then does it release the line?

I get up early so on a couple of mornings when I got up around 04:00 I noticed the phone on my nite stand red "Line in use" lite was blinking which is an indication someone is on the phone line. I pick up the handset and listen and it is dead, no sound. When I hang up the phone the red lite goes out. I pick it up again to listen and there is a dial tone. It is as if picking up the handset resets the phone system to whatever issue that was going on. We hardly use our phones or receive any phone calls. We use our cell phones for out bound calls and everyone calls us on the cell. So it is not a big deal to us, but I can see that this could be a big issue for some folks. Since I am noticing this phone issue so early in the mornings I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the Hoppers updating. What is the exact procedure when the Hoppers update in the early morning hours? Is the phone involved for the procedure or is it thru the internet and/or the satellites? With multiple Hoppers, do they all update at the same time or does one at a time update?

If his phone line was completely dead, I would make sure that he didn't plug the phone line into the Ethernet port by accident. Doing that can kill the phone line.

I had this exact thing happen when my Hopper was installed. Phone line was dead. Looked at the back of the hopper and, lo and behold, it's plugged into the ethernet port. I put it in the telephone port and all was well, for nearly a year now...

I get up early so on a couple of mornings when I got up around 04:00 I noticed the phone on my nite stand red "Line in use" lite was blinking which is an indication someone is on the phone line. I pick up the handset and listen and it is dead, no sound. When I hang up the phone the red lite goes out. I pick it up again to listen and there is a dial tone. It is as if picking up the handset resets the phone system to whatever issue that was going on. We hardly use our phones or receive any phone calls. We use our cell phones for out bound calls and everyone calls us on the cell. So it is not a big deal to us, but I can see that this could be a big issue for some folks. Since I am noticing this phone issue so early in the mornings I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the Hoppers updating. What is the exact procedure when the Hoppers update in the early morning hours? Is the phone involved for the procedure or is it thru the internet and/or the satellites? With multiple Hoppers, do they all update at the same time or does one at a time update?

The updates are over the satellite. I'm wondering if this is involved with a phone home activity from a receiver.... That would certainly happen in the early morning hours.

Occasionally the receiver will send data back to Dish over the telephone line. Some of this data could include your PPV activity, problems that it senses with your LNBs, etc...

Well, maybe that is what it was doing. Does the receiver send back data over Internet and satellite too?

I sent my info off to Jason, I'll let you know if anything gets changed. And btw I have S304 too.

Gary

I forgot to disconnect phone line from HWS last night to see if phone would be ok in the morning. Needless to say phone was dead this morning.
Dan

I have the original Hopper & experienced this for the first time this morning. I was lucky enough to remember this thread & when all the phones showed "in use" when we got up I rebooted the Hopper & it immediately cleared the problem. Since it's never happened before, I hope it's a 1 - time glitch.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

Last night the phone line was disconnected from my HWS, but not from the Hopper 2000, the phone had dial tone this morning.
Dan

My Hopper 2.0 has done this twice now in the month I have had it. I went to the rest connection menu and when I tested it disconnected from the phone line during the test. It seems that it is doing the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do. I hope this bit of info will help track down the cause so it can get fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts