I am 50-70 miles from the nearest ota antenna what is a good antenna to install?

riffjim,

Your two antenna system is a possibility, because I literally need to aim at two towers only. So a bigger yagi to get Boston and a smaller one to get Providence. Are both your 4228's on the same mast? If so how much vertical separation do you need between them to avoid interference? Do you find the A/B switch system is a pain in the kester? I was hoping to do with one antenna so that TV's in other rooms would not be tied to the A/B selection made in the main viewing room. Just how surprising was the simple combined antenna signal? Can you elaborate? I wonder if you would introduce multipath problems with a simple Y connection?

George

Both of my antennas are on different masts and, for that matter, on differents sides of the house; one points toward the north and the other toward the south. The A/B switch is only attached to one set so it's no big deal. Plus, most of the time I watch the DC locals (get PG date through Dish) and I have the RIC antenna running into the built-in tuner on each HDTV. It would be nice if the 942 had two 8-VSB tuners, but such is life. Although each situation is unique, conventional wisdom dictates that combining two antenna with a simple Y connector is a bad idea. However, in my case, almost all channels for both DC and Richmond VA, came through loud and clear - just a few notches down on the signal strength meter. The only problem was a powerful DC CBS station became less than 100% reliable and a few of the marginal stations from DC, Baltimore MD and Charlottesville VA disappeared. My surprise was that I received 85% of all stations by joining both antenna with a simple Y connector. Multipath issues? You bet! But it worked.

JON_CT said:
just remember that antennaweb is VERY conservative - I live around 50-55 miles away and have had great success with a CM 4228, a CM 7777 preamp, and the CM9521 rotor. If the signals you want are from channels 10 - 60, you cannot beat the 4228.

mserrano said:
I have used both the Channel Master 4228 and Winegard HD9095P The Winegard HD9095P has more gain, but does not handle multi-path as well as the Channel Master 4228.
In "perfect" conditions, you'll get more stations with the Winegard. In unfavorable conditions, the Channel Master will provide more stable reception. For a pre-amp, the Channel Master 7777 (VHF & UHF), or the 7775 (UHF only) has the best price/performance ratio.

I am at 55 miles from towers. Using old Voom antenna of CM3010 Stealth with internal preamp and a CM9521 rotor. Receiving channels 10(nbc), 15(fox), 33(abc), 53(pbs) in digital HD and sometimes 56(cbs).

I have multipath from waving tree branches and from cars driving by on an elevated bypass road both about 1/2 mile away. I also cannot move my 15 foot antenna pole.

My installer just charges labor and takes back the antenna if it don't work at no cost to me. I tried the Winegard HD9095P with preamp and still had multipath but the signal was 10db stronger than my current setup. The 9095P did not pickup channel 10.

My three questions are:
(1) Will the CM4228 have less multipath for my interference ?
(2) Will the CM4228 receive channel 10 without me having to get a separate VHF antenna ?
(3) Will CM7775 preamp still get me channel 10 on the CM4228 antenna ? Or do I need the CM7777 ?

Last edited:
IF the 9095P didn't pick up channel 10 then I don't see the CM doing any better.
I would get the CM4228 and the CM7777 and be done with it. The CM7777 is a very good amp. I haven't had any problems out of mine. I pick up stations very regularly 100miles out with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)