Status
Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
So I moved to my new apt about a week ago and the first installer said he could install the satellite on the peak roof fascia, but it was a two man job so he needed to get one more person, he even went up the roof to check it out and he said it was good to go.

Fast forward a week later this 18 year old kid shows up and he said he can't do the install because to him the fascia won't be a good place to install and it doesn't look as sturdy...which is total Bullsh!t because there are several other condos that have it installed that way in my condo.

He wouldn't give me his sup and told me to just call DIRECTV and told me I should install directv now which is utter crap!

First, two people were supposed to show up today and only one person showed up, and on the work order which a directv rep mentioned is that it specifically said two people were supposed to show up!!!

Now I scheduled another visit and his time around with a supervisor because I am tired of each tech having their own opinion...

Here is the pic where I'd like to have it installed:

Attachments

• IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 566
I'd recommend using Twitter DM to @DIRECTVservice and tell them what's happening. I've had better luck going that route then getting off shore CSR's when I call.

Reactions: IcEWoLF
Here are all the condos in my area that have directv and dish installed on the same fascia all over the condo

Attachments

• IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0289.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 548
I'm not sure why the first tech would say that is an acceptable place to install. The fascia has been an unacceptable installation location for several years especially with a larger HD dish. Second, they will not allow dishes to be installed where it requires going on the roof. DTV techs are prohibited from leaving the ladder.

There are policies in place to allow access to EXISTING DISHES ONLY that require going up a roof but it is typically only used for removal of an existing dish after a new dish is installed in an acceptable place.

Customer service telling you anything beyond a truck roll is setup is a lie. They have no power to promise you 2 techs are coming (not that this would make a difference for your situation) nor do they have the power to guarantee a supervisor is coming.

I'm not sure why the first tech would say that is an acceptable place to install. The fascia has been an unacceptable installation location for several years especially with a larger HD dish. Second, they will not allow dishes to be installed where it requires going on the roof. DTV techs are prohibited from leaving the ladder.

There are policies in place to allow access to EXISTING DISHES ONLY that require going up a roof but it is typically only used for removal of an existing dish after a new dish is installed in an acceptable place.

Customer service telling you anything beyond a truck roll is setup is a lie. They have no power to promise you 2 techs are coming (not that this would make a difference for your situation) nor do they have the power to guarantee a supervisor is coming.

Again, the previous tech told me it could be done, but he needed a second tech on site to do it.
He went up the roof to check and its acceptable. I see nothing wrong installing it there, he literally can get on top of the roof through my bedroom upstairs... which is a flat roof. HE would not be standing on a ladder to install it unless he is under 5ft tall.

Here is a picture from the upstairs room:

Attachments

• IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 389

Really?

Attachments

• IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 410
Reactions: tdelacey
As far as roof access that makes a little more sense to me. From the first picture it looks like it would require walking a pitched roof for access. Flat roof policies vary by office (shouldn't but they do) so I couldn't tell you what the policy is there as far as requiring 2 techs or if it is even allowed to begin with.

In the additional pictures you posted that dish is not on a fascia, it's a solid support for the entire structure. Over time that dish would bend the fascia and destroy the roof.

Without standing there and knowing local policies I can't give you a 100% "it will work" answer but I would suggest googling a non penetrating roof mount and/or suggesting that to an installer. The non pen is designed for flat roof and doesn't leave any holes. Should please management.

As far as roof access that makes a little more sense to me. From the first picture it looks like it would require walking a pitched roof for access. Flat roof policies vary by office (shouldn't but they do) so I couldn't tell you what the policy is there as far as requiring 2 techs or if it is even allowed to begin with.

In the additional pictures you posted that dish is not on a fascia, it's a solid support for the entire structure. Over time that dish would bend the fascia and destroy the roof.

Without standing there and knowing local policies I can't give you a 100% "it will work" answer but I would suggest googling a non penetrating roof mount and/or suggesting that to an installer. The non pen is designed for flat roof and doesn't leave any holes. Should please management.

Yep, they literally Do not need a ladder to get on that area of the roof, sure the installer may need a ladder to on top of that if he needs to put it higher up...the first installer got up there and walked around...no problems. He even checked the fascia and he said it was good. I really do not want to switch to Dish or Cable because I've been with DirecTV for a long time and they provide good service.

you always have the option to hire a private installer

I did the movers thing, so If I have a private installer do the work will directv still activate my equipment even if it wasn't done by a DirecTV tech?

These all look like a qc fail to me.

I noticed some of them were installed badly, but some of them were installed properly. Especially the big slimlines...
I have the authorization from the HOA President to install the dish on the building infront of me since its considered common area of the whole building, it would be on top of another persons area, but whoever had it before they remove it from there, but its still a common area and acceptable from my HOA. So since its an open area, it would be fine.
If they won't install it on the roof area then I'll have to have them install it there as a last resort, which means they would have to install a longer cable that is.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 315
Here is the alternative option, again I am not too thrilled because its farther from my house, but its still doable. Just a bit annoyed. But the guy didn't want to do it today because he already waited 20 some minutes looking at where he would install the dish, even though I told him where the previous tech said it would be fine to install.

Another week down the drain, couldn't watch the NFL draft and can't even watch basketball games because the DirecTV app is so trash.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 308
They also said they won't use a wooden board to install the dish through, is that policy?

as in wooden post for ground mount?
they warp

I mean whatever they use to install the dish through when attaching it on a fascia. directv said they don't use those. I think those things make things look better in my opinion.

They need to saddle the rafter and make sure a couple of the lag bolts are long enough to go through the fascia and into the rafter. It'll be fine.

Reactions: IcEWoLF
If the 1st guy said he could do it then why didn't he? It doesn't take 2 people to install a dish unless he's just wanting somebody to hold his hand. Seems you've been plagued by lazy techs imo.

Reactions: 31cold
If the 1st guy said he could do it then why didn't he? It doesn't take 2 people to install a dish unless he's just wanting somebody to hold his hand. Seems you've been plagued by lazy techs imo.

I am not sure what to tell ya, he said it could be done after getting on top of the flat roof. He even saw the other condos and how they were installed.
Then he said he could install it but he couldn't because they need two techs for safety reason...I mean come on...you are already on the roof and walking on it...
Yes, the guy that came today wanted to just leave and offered me U-Verse...these guys are literally full of crap and he wouldn't even let me talk to his supervisor or get their number...Ideally if I have an issue I should be able to contact the techs supervisor.

I guess DirecTV is trying their hardest to drive me away as a customer and maybe I should comply.

Reactions: pattykay
Status
Please reply by conversation.