I did it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I finally took the plunge and ordered an Openbox S9 PVR HD receiver from HyperMegaSat for $175.89 including shipping.

With many channels like Montana PBS switching over to DVB-S2 I knew it was time to upgrade.

Is this your first HD receiver? I have the Sathawk from when it first came out...after the firmware updates etc....I'm pleased with it. The picture on my 32" LCD Tv is really good
Blind

I also ordered an Openbox, from the same source. Mainly to give the 9200 a well deserved rest and to not miss anything while I go through the 9200's power supply. I've had it a week and am pleased with its performance. Still have to get used to it's less user friendly menu system.

Is this your first HD receiver? I have the Sathawk from when it first came out...after the firmware updates etc....I'm pleased with it. The picture on my 32" LCD Tv is really good
Blind

My first one. I have many SD FTA receivers, but never got a HD receiver until today due to lack of HD FTA channels.

I have a solomend which is the same as the Openbox and i think you will be satisfied on what it can do.There is a good amount of s2/hd out there and wait to you see the outstanding pic quality in HD.

Popcorn, I think you'll like it. There's a lot of S2 stuff in my opinion worth seeing. Seems more channels seem to be headed that way too.
The picture on the PBS Hd is really sharp looking. Blind

I thought about getting one again after selling my Solomend....at the time too many bugs in it for me to deal with ;)

I thought about getting one again after selling my Solomend....at the time too many bugs in it for me to deal with ;)

These sound like better receivers to buy compared to all the problems and glitches with the AZBox!!! Who needs 4:2:2 when you cannot get keep the AZ up and running!?!?!? :p

Last edited:
I just read this on another website that makes me feel good about my purchase:

The OpenBox S9 features a highly sensitive sharp tuner and a fast, accurate hardware based blindscan for DVB-S/S2 signals. The SD upconvert on this box is excellent, many SD signals can be mistaken for HD, its that good.

I just read that this receiver can only store up to 5,000 TV and radio channels. This is a real disappointment for a receiver with this many high end features.

One the bright side it can display Teletext like other receivers and I began to wonder does anyone use the Teletext feature in their receivers? I know I never have.

snapshot10c.jpg

Does anyone know what is the maximum size external HDD that can be used with this receiver? Plus does it work better with a particular brand / model?

Look at all the threads and pages about the AZBox problems, the only thing that has more pages is the FreeDBS thread!!! ;)

most of what I see are channel lists being corrupt. I tried Diseqc 1.2 and had issues but I ended up slaving mine instead :)

Does anyone know what is the maximum size external HDD that can be used with this receiver? Plus does it work better with a particular brand / model?
High bitrate recording is a major unresolved issue for usb connected external hard drives. Someone mentioned that connecting a IDE drive to the internal connector may work better...but.......that appears to be in the experimental stage still. One Terabyte is the max for a fat32 partition

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)