I have questions about the Genie system

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dennis Brown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I have two satellite feeds coming into my home, which are connected to a SWM at the dish. One feed connects to an HR-24 in the living room and services only that TV. The other feed runs to an entertainment room where it connects to another HR-24. The signal is then split via a Monoprice 4x4 HDMI powered splitter. There are 3 HDMI runs going to the bedroom, kitchen and entertainment room. While most of the hdmi runs are hidden in the walls, one run is exposed. My wife HATES the exposed hdmi run. She saw the Genie ad on TV and wonders if purchasing it will eliminate the hdmi runs, especially the exposed one. Questions:
1. Would I have to purchase (lease) 4 mini genies, one for each TV, including the one in the living room.
2. Would the mini genies eliminate the need for the hdmi runs and the HDMI powered splitter.
3. Would I still be able to watch two different programs at the same time as I can with my two HR-24s. Could I watch more than two different programs at the same time.
4. How are the mini genies wired to the TVs in each room. Can they easily hidden from view.
5. Would it be better to keep the one HR-24 in the living room, which is a "stand-alone" setup, and replace the other one with the Genie system.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

I have two satellite feeds coming into my home, which are connected to a SWM at the dish. One feed connects to an HR-24 in the living room and services only that TV. The other feed runs to an entertainment room where it connects to another HR-24. The signal is then split via a Monoprice 4x4 HDMI powered splitter. There are 3 HDMI runs going to the bedroom, kitchen and entertainment room. While most of the hdmi runs are hidden in the walls, one run is exposed. My wife HATES the exposed hdmi run. She saw the Genie ad on TV and wonders if purchasing it will eliminate the hdmi runs, especially the exposed one.

The Genie is nothing more than a 5 tuner HDDVR. The mini Genies link back to it to use one of the tuners in the main Genie

1. Would I have to purchase (lease) 4 mini genies, one for each TV, including the one in the living room.
Yes you would lease all units. A mini Genie is billed $6 a month just like a regular receiver

2. Would the mini genies eliminate the need for the hdmi runs and the HDMI powered splitter.
It would eliminate those runs, but you may have more runs of cable. The mini genie's link back to the main via coax to the SWM splitter

3. Would I still be able to watch two different programs at the same time as I can with my two HR-24s. Could I watch more than two different programs at the same time.
If all you had was the Genie and the HR24 you would still only watch 2 programs. Add mini genie's at other locations would allow you to watch more, so you could have 3 mini's, the genie and an HR24 and watch 5 seperate programs with 7 tuners for recording.

4. How are the mini genies wired to the TVs in each room. Can they easily hidden from view.
At this point the mini genie is about the size of two packs of playing cards. They connect to the tv via HDMI or a special Din connector if you have none HDMI tv's. Like I said you will have a coax lead back to the SWm splitter for each mini as well. Also you need to be able to point the remote at them to work. They are comming out with RF units so you could hide them from view soon. It's not like the commercial and all cords go away.

5. Would it be better to keep the one HR-24 in the living room, which is a "stand-alone" setup, and replace the other one with the Genie system.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

Thats for you to decide

Status
Please reply by conversation.