I need info on new hopper plus

Techs have thumb drives with the newest software on it. Those "new" Hoppers - most are refurbs now, do not have the newest software on them. New or Refurb, they sit in warehouses for longer periods of time so they have a production version of software flashed to them at the factories. There is no Hopper that has not been taken out of the packaging that has the newest software on it.
Like Scott said, he may have a warehouse that is pre-loading from the thumb drives before they are assigned to the techs/vans.
It is also against Dish policy to waste a good Hopper at a Customer's house. There is a metric for offices called NPF - No Problem Found and the offices are gigged when Dish gets returns that were not faulty
So, are you saying that he was trying to con me into getting a newer Hopper 3, when my Hopper 3 would have been OK???

Are my recordings on my External Hard Drive. Is there more space on the External Hard Drive, for me to add recordings. I like technology, but when comes to these issues, I'm not about it.
Unclear. Do you suppose new recordings go to the EHD directly? I think DirectTV had a system that did that; not sure. With Dish, they are always recorded to the internal disk, and you pick whichever ones you want to archive for safe keeping and your Hopper will make it so.
The only recordings on that EHD are the ones you transferred from your Hopper 3. The size of your EHD dictates how much data you can put on it. Your Hopper 3 has a 2 terabyte hard drive built into it. Not all of the drive is for recordings, your system software is there as well as your recordings. You probably have about 1 terabyte available on it for recordings. As it fills up you can transfer recordings you would like to keep for as long as you wish onto the External hard drive. I have a 1 terabyte EHD and it is all I need for the little that I archive. If you wish to keep a lot of recordings you can size your EHD/s up to 7 terabytes and that would give you more than you probably need.
Yeah, I think you interpreted Jackson's question correctly. I analyzed it again and speculate he was thinking recordings go direct to the EHD. They do not.
So, are you saying that he was trying to con me into getting a newer Hopper 3, when my Hopper 3 would have been OK???
It most certainly would have been OK, if you don't have any issues with it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Unclear. Do you suppose new recordings go to the EHD directly? I think DirectTV had a system that did that; not sure. With Dish, they are always recorded to the internal disk, and you pick whichever ones you want to archive for safe keeping and your Hopper will make it so.

Yeah, I think you interpreted Jackson's question correctly. I analyzed it again and speculate he was thinking recordings go direct to the EHD. They do not.

It most certainly would have been OK, if you don't have any issues with it.
Maybe, I should ask this way,. What is the real purpose for the External Hard Drive, when connected to the Hopper 3? I love technology, but sometimes technology can throw me, where I don't always understand the purpose for such things.

Maybe, I should ask this way,. What is the real purpose for the External Hard Drive, when connected to the Hopper 3? I love technology, but sometimes technology can throw me, where I don't always understand the purpose for such things.
It's for archival purposes. Those of us who have had Dish iron since the VIP days have recordings dating back for almost that long. Note that the move is a move, not a copy. So Dish maintains only one copy of the programmers' programs, to avoid DMCA issues.

I was just about to start a "We need a better Hopper Plus thread" thread, and it has been decided that this 38-page thread is the one we're going with. I'm looking for something that nets it out in less than 38 pages. Why would a customer who has a Roku TV or a Roku device or a Fire TV or a Fire TV Stick or an onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device get a Hopper Plus? Simply to avoid changing inputs on their home theater receiver or TV? I guess a scenario that comes to mind is: let's say you're watching an important game on Dish linear satellite and there is so much rain that your signal is lost. I guess then you could seamlessly switch over to the Hopper Plus, and assuming your internet is up, watch Dish Anywhere on the Hopper Plus. Of course, you could run DA on other Android TV devices as well. Oh wait, since DA relies on your satellite signal being up, I guess unless there is a streaming version of that channel available via DA, you'd still be out of luck. I guess the Hopper Plus integrates all your stuff in one place..."live TV, recordings, apps and On Demand"...so there's that.

Does it contain a function like the app JustWatch that tells you, of the multiple streaming services you may subscribe to, which one has the particular show or movie available?

I was just about to start a "We need a better Hopper Plus thread" thread, and it has been decided that this 38-page thread is the one we're going with. I'm looking for something that nets it out in less than 38 pages. Why would a customer who has a Roku TV or a Roku device or a Fire TV or a Fire TV Stick or an onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device get a Hopper Plus? Simply to avoid changing inputs on their home theater receiver or TV? I guess a scenario that comes to mind is: let's say you're watching an important game on Dish linear satellite and there is so much rain that your signal is lost. I guess then you could seamlessly switch over to the Hopper Plus, and assuming your internet is up, watch Dish Anywhere on the Hopper Plus. Of course, you could run DA on other Android TV devices as well. Oh wait, since DA relies on your satellite signal being up, I guess unless there is a streaming version of that channel available via DA, you'd still be out of luck. I guess the Hopper Plus integrates all your stuff in one place..."live TV, recordings, apps and On Demand"...so there's that.

Does it contain a function like the app JustWatch that tells you, of the multiple streaming services you may subscribe to, which one has the particular show or movie available?
Ever tried the search feature? That's what I use to "net" things out.

It's for archival purposes. Those of us who have had Dish iron since the VIP days have recordings dating back for almost that long. Note that the move is a move, not a copy. So Dish maintains only one copy of the programmers' programs, to avoid DMCA issues.
So, on my DVR Recordings Option Sources I have 2 choices Hopper 3 or External Hard Drive 1. Which should I choose

That's what I use to "net" things out.
Me too, except with my apparently quite limited capabilities I have trouble netting out the advantages of Hopper Plus. But if I needed more info about software on thumb drives, swapping out a Hopper 3 for a Hopper 3, a bit about 4K HDR availability on 4K Joey vs on Joey 4, this is the place. Even Hopper Plus | DISH doesn't even specify what it costs. Maybe that page should link to this outstanding 38-page thread, to "net it out" for prospective customers.

Me too, except with my apparently quite limited capabilities I have trouble netting out the advantages of Hopper Plus. But if I needed more info about software on thumb drives, swapping out a Hopper 3 for a Hopper 3, a bit about 4K HDR availability on 4K Joey vs on Joey 4, this is the place. Even Hopper Plus | DISH doesn't even specify what it costs. Maybe that page should link to this outstanding 38-page thread, to "net it out" for prospective customers.
If you do a search for "cost" in this thread you see that it's all over the place. Search results for query: cost

If you do a search for "cost" in this thread you see that it's all over the place. Search results for query: cost
It sure is all over the place. I'm not sure what the actual price is. Free, or $50, or $100. It'd be great if Hopper Plus | DISH had pricing "along with everything you love, all in one place." I guess they can all go "Build My Offer". Thanks for the pro tips on searching.

Why worry about 4k programming especially if you dont have fast internet. Dish doesn't have any
How would you know the speed of my internet? I have 1.2G BTW and there actually is content on those channels at times. Or maybe your post was referencing your own situation/ justification???.... Dish 4K Event Listings (No Discussion)

Last edited:
Here's another Pro Tip...call Dish and ask them what your price would be.
That really is a gem of a tip. Thanks, but this thread has made me not care what my price would be. But for those who perhaps don't frequent this forum, or even worse, this thread, that pricing information should be readily available at the Hopper Plus information page. The "Build My Offer" button is clearly designed for brand new customers and it's absolutely unclear on what the new dongle would cost an existing customer.