I need info on new hopper plus

That really is a gem of a tip. Thanks, but this thread has made me not care what my price would be. But for those who perhaps don't frequent this forum, or even worse, this thread, that pricing information should be readily available at the Hopper Plus information page. The "Build My Offer" button is clearly designed for brand new customers and it's absolutely unclear on what the new dongle would cost an existing customer.
Before I found this thread I called as a current customer and through a conversation I negotiated my price. I would bet most existing customers know how to do this without the need of this thread. ;)

I would bet most existing customers know how to do this without the need of this thread.
I would bet most existing customers would expect an information page about the shiny brand new Hopper Plus to contain pricing information. I would bet most customers, both new and existing, would expect clearly articulated advantages of the product to be contained on that information page. Not everybody wants to spend time "negotiating" the price for yet another way of doing Android TV.

At least the Build My Offer page helpfully contains this...but not pricing information for the Hopper Plus.
----
New and qualifying former customers only. ††Multi-Sport Pack is included at no additional cost. Must sign up for service by 11/16/22. Only available with packages starting at $84.99/mo. excluding America's Everything Pack. Programming is available through 1/12/23. 1All offers require credit qualification, 2-year commitment with early termination fee and eAutoPay. Prices include Hopper Duo for qualifying customers. Hopper, Hopper w/Sling or Hopper 3 $5/mo. more. Upfront fees may apply based on credit qualification. Fees apply for additional TVs: Hopper $15/mo., Joey $7/mo., Super Joey $10/mo. After 3 mos., you will be billed $30/mo. for Showtime, STARZ, and DISH Movie Pack unless you call or go online to cancel. *Requires Hopper 3. †Requires Hopper/w Sling or Hopper 3; 2,000 hours based on 2TB hard drive. †Netflix is currently available on Hopper Duo, Hopper w/Sling, Hopper 3, Wally, and Joeys. **Live or Recorded TV anywhere requires a Hopper w/Sling or Hopper 3. Offer ends 11/16/22. All packages, programming, features, and functionality and all prices and fees not included in price guarantee are subject to change without notice. After 6 mos., if selected you will be billed $10.99/mo. for DISH Protect Silver unless you call to cancel. After 2 years, then-current everyday prices for all services apply. SHOWTIME is a registered trademark of Showtime Networks Inc., a CBS Company. STARZ and related channels and service marks are property of Starz Entertainment, LLC. HBO MAX is used under license. CINEMAX® and related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc. §DISH Network received the highest score in the Nation in the JD Power 2019-2022 (tied in 2020) US Residential Cable and Satellite TV Service Provider Satisfaction Studies of customers' satisfaction with their current television provider. For J.D. Power 2022 award information, Visit jdpower.com/awards

Reactions: charlesrshell
So, on my DVR Recordings Option Sources I have 2 choices Hopper 3 or External Hard Drive 1. Which should I choose
You choose whichever one that has the recording you would like to watch. An example: You recorded program A on your Hopper and then transfer it to your EHD. You still have recordings B through Z on the Hopper and A resides on the EHD. Now, if you want to watch recording M which resides on your Hopper you select Hopper. But, if you want to watch recording A you select EHD 1. Do you know how to transfer your recordings to the EHD?

Another Pro Tip: But those who do can get the the cost to $0 including the tech visit like I did. So I think it's worth it regardless of what the posted prices say.
Great to know, since there apparently aren't any posted prices. You say it's worth paying zero...what are the advantages you've seen of using the dongle to access your subscribed streaming services over, say, a Roku TV or a Roku device or a Fire TV or a Fire TV Stick or an onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device or various other Android TV devices?

Great to know, since there apparently aren't any posted prices. You say it's worth paying zero...what are the advantages you've seen of using the dongle to access your subscribed streaming services over, say, a Roku TV or a Roku device or a Fire TV or a Fire TV Stick or an onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device or various other Android TV devices?
THey were supposed to come out with some sort of update program back on September 15th, however it appears that because of issues customers and installers are having with the units that they decided to hold off on going gung ho for customer updates, thus it seems as everyone is getting dfferent pricing when they call.

Go search my posts and I think you will find that even at $0 it's not worth it. I didn't know what I know now when I negotiated my price. The only reason I did it was to get the Joey 4s because Dish made our 4K Joeys obsolete when they went to the all the time fake HDR signal on the occasional 4K channels. Unless you're wanting it for the same reason and you have any of your listed streaming alternatives there is ABSOLUTELY no benefit to getting the HP, J4 or WJ4 as they sit right now.

I own three 4K Joeys. I thought I was getting a somewhat future-proofed box when I spent $64 to $70 on each of those, even though there's pretty close to zero 4K content. The 4K Joey has an Ethernet port and a USB port. Dish should use either of those ports to provide a device, for free, that upgrades a 4K Joey to be able to display whatever version of 4K that the Hopper 3 provides. Or, gosh, I don't know, have the Hopper 3 actually know that it's talking to a 4K Joey and send non-HDR 4K to that 4K Joey.

Go search my posts and I think you will find that even at $0 it's not worth it. I didn't know what I know now when I negotiated my price. The only reason I did it was to get the Joey 4s because Dish made our 4K Joeys obsolete when they went to the all the time fake HDR signal on the occasional 4K channels. Unless you're wanting it for the same reason and you have any of your listed streaming alternatives there is ABSOLUTELY no benefit to getting the HP, J4 or WJ4 as they sit right now.

$0 is definitely not worth it. Especially if they make you sign up for another 2 year agreement and remove Hopper 3 features. And then in an unrelated move, remove 20+ channels…

I think if you were to read through this thread, it would sum it up as WAIT. For our household, it's been a plus, but I don't want to oversell it. I was using a AVR with multiple inputs and a Fire Cube, which was buggy itself. AVR inputs didn't always switch well with my Harmony remote. With my wife and visitors, it is a definite plus in our household to have one input for DISH+Streaming. I'm a fan of the Home screen, which is better than Fire Cube, especially with the inclusion of my recently recorded programs and last watched live TV channels. I don't have to bounce back and forth between DVR and Live TV as much. Add to the positives that I am only in it for $40 and have a new Hopper 3 and 3 new Joey 4s. I can always revert back to just Hopper 3 use if I get too frustrated. Don't see that happening. On the be aware list, a few things. The very fast skip back/forward is broken presently. Takes 2-3 seconds per action versus immediate before. Same with channel changes. This needs to be in a software update, like yesterday. I'm also getting a very slight skip forward during playback of any DVR or On Demand recording. It happens maybe every 15 minutes and isn't a big deal but should have been seen and fixed in the beta testing. And my Harmony Elite is out of service as DISH hasn't provided any updates to Logitech, and my bet is they won't. Or Logitech will have sunset their service anyway. That said, my Harmony isn't needed anymore with one input for 90% of use. I don't have the always on HDR issue with my televisions, so that isn't in my way. Lastly, I've seen the streaming TV offerings like YTTV or Hulu, and I just think overall DISH has great hardware that is easy to use, and it doesn't strain my sometimes strained internet out here in the country. I'm a sports fan, and live sports streamed isn't ready for prime time for every household. Overall, I'm happy with most of it, and when they fix the skip, I'll be a fan. But I would definitely advise people to wait a few months. The tech experience for me was 3 visits. Was put out there WAY too soon and causing unnecessary frustration.

It's for archival purposes. Those of us who have had Dish iron since the VIP days have recordings dating back for almost that long. Note that the move is a move, not a copy. So Dish maintains only one copy of the programmers' programs, to avoid DMCA issues.

You choose whichever one that has the recording you would like to watch. An example: You recorded program A on your Hopper and then transfer it to your EHD. You still have recordings B through Z on the Hopper and A resides on the EHD. Now, if you want to watch recording M which resides on your Hopper you select Hopper. But, if you want to watch recording A you select EHD 1. Do you know how to transfer your recordings to the EHD?
No

So, are you saying that he was trying to con me into getting a newer Hopper 3, when my Hopper 3 would have been OK???
My guess is that he had one he pre-downloaded, yours may not have had the most current software and he knew to get it current would take about an hour, just for the download so he wanted to save time by using the potential pre-downloaded one

It's for archival purposes. Those of us who have had Dish iron since the VIP days have recordings dating back for almost that long. Note that the move is a move, not a copy. So Dish maintains only one copy of the programmers' programs, to avoid DMCA issues.

No, I do not know how to transfer recordings to the external Hard Drive

I was just about to start a "We need a better Hopper Plus thread" thread, and it has been decided that this 38-page thread is the one we're going with. I'm looking for something that nets it out in less than 38 pages. Why would a customer who has a Roku TV or a Roku device or a Fire TV or a Fire TV Stick or an onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device get a Hopper Plus? Simply to avoid changing inputs on their home theater receiver or TV? I guess a scenario that comes to mind is: let's say you're watching an important game on Dish linear satellite and there is so much rain that your signal is lost. I guess then you could seamlessly switch over to the Hopper Plus, and assuming your internet is up, watch Dish Anywhere on the Hopper Plus. Of course, you could run DA on other Android TV devices as well. Oh wait, since DA relies on your satellite signal being up, I guess unless there is a streaming version of that channel available via DA, you'd still be out of luck. I guess the Hopper Plus integrates all your stuff in one place..."live TV, recordings, apps and On Demand"...so there's that.

Does it contain a function like the app JustWatch that tells you, of the multiple streaming services you may subscribe to, which one has the particular show or movie available?
Short answer, don't get a Hopper+

No, I do not know how to transfer recordings to the external Hard Drive
When you're looking at your DVR, hit the Options button on the remote and then on the right side menu, go to Manage Recordings and then click the recordings you want to save and you'll see where you can move them to your External Drive