I need info on new hopper plus

What is the advantage of going to the hopper + instead of staying with the hopper 3?

The Hopper+ plugs into your Hopper 3 and takes over. Supposedly the HD video quality is better. You also have integration with Android TV. So your streaming apps and Dish programming will all be on the same device. One remote, one input. Based on recent conversations, we’re losing more than we’re gaining. I was interested because of the better video quality. I think some of these channels look pretty bad sometimes. And the new joeys actually support the 4K HDR channel, unlike the current 4K Joey. Which has been a slew of broken promises.

I'm a little confused about the multi view/PIP discussion. Will adding the Hopper+ remove multiview/PIP capabilities for DISH content or just the streamed content that the Hopper+ adds the ability to access?

Reactions: charlesrshell
If those features are important to you, then don't get the Plus. Or at least wait and see if they add them eventually...
This nightmare started when I called to get a price lock. The CSR told me I could get the newest equipment. Was told by two departments that the new Joeys would have the PIP features. Once I found out they didn’t have them I still decided to go forward with the new equipment not knowing that it would disable the PIP features of the H3.

And now literally in a few hours before they’re supposed to show up in the morning, I need to inform them I don’t want the new equipment plus all the other crap they offered.

This may be the proverbial straw which forces me to reconsider staying with Dish.

What would happen to the system if you were to unplug the Hopper+ come March when multiview still hasn’t arrived? Does the Hopper 3 still work the way it used to before the Hopper+? Do the Joey 4s lose whole home or even service all together?

If you have a streaming device like a Firestick, Roku, or AppleTV, none...
In the case of Roku, that depends on whether your Roku model supports internet browsers. Not every streaming site has a Roku app, and not all Roku support streaming directly from a website. So, there may be some limited cases where a Roku user (such as myself) may see some benefit from the Hopper+.

What would happen to the system if you were to unplug the Hopper+ come March when multiview still hasn’t arrived? Does the Hopper 3 still work the way it used to before the Hopper+? Do the Joey 4s lose whole home or even service all together?
I was wondering the same thing. Exactly how easy are these to install and uninstall as needed? If you are someone who only uses Multiview one day per week (Saturday for College Football, for example) would it be practical to keep unhooking the Hopper+ for that day every week, and then hooking it back up the rest of the week?

PIP is planned in the future. But while planned it is not promised. No one knows when we will see it at this point.
This reminds me of the debacle when the Wally was first released. The original instruction manual for the Wally promised that Sling was coming soon, and explained how to use the Sling features. All references to Sling were quickly scrubbed from the Wally instruction manual, and there were no plans to ever enable the feature after that, either. After all this time, if Dish ever enables Sling on Wally, and it turns out that Hopper+ works with Wally (or they come up with a Wally+) I would be shocked! :eek :eek: :eeek

HipKat do you know what is the reason for not having a 2nd H3? Will it screw up everything or does DISH not want it for some reason? I can live with a H+ on one H3 only and four new Joeys linked to it. My 2nd H3 with no H+ can just be attached to one TV. Will that work?
I'm guessing it has to do with how the Hopper plus's connection to the internet and how it integrates into the system possibly conflicting with a 2nd plus. I wonder if 1 plus on a 2 Hopper system on the Hopper connected to the Internet could work

This nightmare started when I called to get a price lock. The CSR told me I could get the newest equipment. Was told by two departments that the new Joeys would have the PIP features. Once I found out they didn’t have them I still decided to go forward with the new equipment not knowing that it would disable the PIP features of the H3.

And now literally in a few hours before they’re supposed to show up in the morning, I need to inform them I don’t want the new equipment plus all the other crap they offered.

This may be the proverbial straw which forces me to reconsider staying with Dish.
You can disconnect the plus when you want to use Multiview and reconnect it, probably with a reboot to go back to the AndroidTV platform

You can disconnect the plus when you want to use Multiview and reconnect it, probably with a reboot to go back to the AndroidTV platform

Next questions:

1. Do the Joeys (4) still behave normally? Meaning can they still access the DVR and live TV?

2. Could you workaround disconnecting the Plus by simply using the HDMI out of the Hopper 3 while the Plus is still plugged in? I’m assuming in the suggested setup the HDMI connected to the TV is from the Plus and not the H3.

I was on the phone/hold for 45" with Dish, I finally hung up. I want to cancel the installation.

I use Multi View every morning (Local News, Sports Center) and on weekends for Sports.

Will the new Joey 4 work as intended if the Hopper+ is not hooked up?

In the case of Roku, that depends on whether your Roku model supports internet browsers. Not every streaming site has a Roku app,
Name one.
and not all Roku support streaming directly from a website. So, there may be some limited cases where a Roku user (such as myself) may see some benefit from the Hopper+.
With every streaming service having a Roku app, doubt many care.

If you are streaming from a website, doubtful you are getting the benefit of streaming from a app, 1080P/4K/HDR/DV and Dolby Digital+/Atmos sound.

Last edited:
Next questions:

1. Do the Joeys (4) still behave normally? Meaning can they still access the DVR and live TV?

2. Could you workaround disconnecting the Plus by simply using the HDMI out of the Hopper 3 while the Plus is still plugged in? I’m assuming in the suggested setup the HDMI connected to the TV is from the Plus and not the H3.

Will the new Joey 4 work as intended if the Hopper+ is not hooked up?

1 - Scott says yes, in my experience, no.
2 - WHen you plug the HDMI into the Hopper while the plus us connected, you get a page telling you that the HDMI is disable and to connect to the Plus

1 - Scott says yes, in my experience, no.
2 - WHen you plug the HDMI into the Hopper while the plus us connected, you get a page telling you that the HDMI is disable and to connect to the Plus
I guess when the technician sends me a text to confirm my appointment this morning I’ll tell them to cancel. I tried to cancel last night but after 45 minutes on hold I had to give up.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.