I Oppose the XM-Sirius proposed merger

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm all for it provided the QUALITY of the service doesn't go down, and the PRICE doesn't go up, or if it does, it doesn't go up too much. :)

Just keep in mind that both companies are driven by one thing, subscribers. I highly doubt that the subscribers will be alienated with the merge. Remember, both Sirius/MS are competing against a free service that has been present for decades. I am fairly sure that they already realize this and will continue to provide stellar service and content that will make both sides happy.

I can really see a place for all music channels, although I would prefer to have no commercials.

I oppose the XM & Sirius radio proposed merger.

I've been an XM subscriber since June 2004, with a total of two XM radios (a Delphi MyFi unit I use at home and on my boat, and a radio that was factory-installed in my GM vehicle.

I also have had the opportunity to listen to Sirius music channels via my Dish Network subscription.

I'm very ticked off that Mel the K. is trying to take over XM.

"Karmi" screwed up big time at CBS a few years ago. Check the record.

And then later when he took the reins at Sirius, Mel the K. screwed up again when he gave Howard the Stern (not to be confused with Howard K. Stern) a foolish amount of moola.

Now Big Daddy Cufflinks (Mel the K.) wants XM subscribers on board to help pay for his mistakes...and to also steal the XM-exclusive MLB package for Sirius subscribers.

I myself will REFUSE to pay one cent for Howard Stern's contract, so if this stupid merger goes through, I will immediately cancel my subscription and will destroy my MyFi unit, Gallagher-style.

I plan to e-mail each of the FCC commissioners to urge them to reject this idiotic merger proposal. If you agree with me, I urge you to contact the FCC commissioners also.

LONG LIVE XM!

Spoken like a true O&A fan.

Really, HS has paid for his contract already. It was a smart move for SIRIUS. Do you think that his merger could have even been proposed if Howard had gone to XM in the first place? (SIRIUS went from 600,000 to 6 Million in 1 year!) If Howard had gone to XM, SIRIUS would be in no position to merge, it would be more like a forgotten service like some of the early satellite TV services I've already forgotten (Primestar?).

Mel K. has shown his skill, not ineptness, at this medium. I would wait and see what happens during the next two years before I start leaping off of bridges.

You nay-sayers are nuts!!!

This can only be good for everybody. If they continue to be seperate, more than likely, one will go away, they can't continue to loose money. By them merging, you will have one strong company, with tons of content!! Whether your a Stern fan, or an O & A fan, or a Dr. Laura fan, you will get it all. Can't you just imagine 300 channels to choose from!! I'm all for it. I have been with Sirius for 3 years now, and would love the oppurtunity to listen to MLB during the summer!

There is no reason for the FCC to block this!! Sirius and XM do compete with regular radio, Ipods, Internet stations, and many other types of music channels. The only reason the FCC would block this is because they cannot regulate it like they do regular radio, so they feel by blocking it, they can get back at them.

ITS A WIN WIN FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!

PS, if you don't like Howard or O&A, guess what, turn the darn channel and listen to Martha Stewart!!!!

Spoken like a true O&A fan.

Really, HS has paid for his contract already. It was a smart move for SIRIUS. Do you think that his merger could have even been proposed if Howard had gone to XM in the first place? (SIRIUS went from 600,000 to 6 Million in 1 year!) If Howard had gone to XM, SIRIUS would be in no position to merge, it would be more like a forgotten service like some of the early satellite TV services I've already forgotten (Primestar?).

Mel K. has shown his skill, not ineptness, at this medium. I would wait and see what happens during the next two years before I start leaping off of bridges.

Sirius has been growing fact but not that fast. They had aover 3 milion subs at the end of 2005 and 6 million a tthe end of 2006. They annouced an 89% growth rate---very good bit not what you are claiming. IIRC they hit 600,000 in the third quarter of 2004.

They may not be growing "fast enough" for some people that only look at total sub numbers, BUT they are growing RIGHT, the most important thing by FAR!

They are growing VERY fast. All I said is that they did not go from 600,00 to 6 million (a ten fold increase) in one year.

Gotcha. I have heard bvia b/c that I sound anti Sirius. It si not intentional but that does not mean that you intended anything like that.

This can only be good for everybody. If they continue to be seperate, more than likely, one will go away, they can't continue to loose money. By them merging, you will have one strong company, with tons of content!! QUOTE]

It's true that one of these companies may go bankrupt if they don't merge. But that doesn't mean choice would be eliminated. It is likely the bankrupt company would get scooped up by someone else who would use a different business strategy. Perhaps the new owner would slash money spent on high price programing, add more commercials and lower the price of service so that instead of having two satellite radio services going after the same market, we would have a budget service and a premium service. The point is, the FCC should stand by it's requirement that the satellite radio spectrum should not be controlled by just one company. As long as the spectrum must be divided between at least two owners, there will be competition and that will be good for anyone concerned about the price of this service. Would you really want to have only one choice for cable TV with no option for Satellite or FIOS? Sure you could get rid of cable and go with over the air, but that wouldn't be much of a choice.

My mistake.

They went from 600,000 at the time they announced the Howard Stern deal (which was early 2005) to the 6 Mil at the end of 2006. So, factoring out units installed in cars, it's still a pretty good bet that many of these were Stern Fans (like me, who dumped XM BTW), and if Stern went to XM instead, SIRIUS would be a footnote.

ACtully the 600,00 was the third quarter of 2004. Still one heckuva growth curve. And even though I don't care for stern I have to say that he was a najor reason for this.

ACtully the 600,00 was the third quarter of 2004. Still one heckuva growth curve. And even though I don't care for stern I have to say that he was a najor reason for this.

Right again, I forgot that it was BEFORE Christmas that he signed the deal, and the "countdown" was about a year and a half.

Oh well, it must be age! :D

Well there be a Price Increase?

I fear that there well be a monthly price increase .Not at 1st,but later on down the road.
I can see some Channels would be dropped on both systems ,some combind.
I have XM,so I don't know too much about Sirius.I would hope they keep XM's name.It's sounds better,to me. I rear Sirius has better music line up,but XM has better tech. So I would think they would use the best of both.
I just got the Pioneer Inno2go receiver(to replace the My-Fi).I love it! I can now record a song playing that I like .I would hate to lost this option.:mad:

I like the fact that my bill will be dropping way down as I subscribe to both right now.

The downsides? I prefer XM's playlists which are deeper and more obscure. My SkyFi2 is a much better unit than my Sirius unit (maybe unfair as the SkyFi2 was more expensive, but it works flawlessly - probably owing to the fact that the unit kicks out a STRONG FM signal, as opposed to the recent ones neutered by the FCC.

I foresee an increase in pricing if this merger does go through. I would expect them to charge somewhere around $19.99 per month for all the "great" "new" content they will be providing. Either way, both providers seem to lack new content anyways. I will just stick with my iPod for now.

Calling Mel a bad guy is insane. He was not the downfall of CBS. He is a great buisness man in the broadcasting world. You dont have to like HS or listen to him. But I tell you what, the marriage of HS and MK is a marriage made of great channels for us and big money for them. They could add 2 more HS channels and it would be even better. Howard, Bubba, Ferrel, all the other greats on those channels. It is awesome! Plus the comedy channel with Jim Bruer and Stars with the Jay Thomas show. Sirius is way better on the non music side of choices. I dont listen to to much music just talk and sports and Sirius is way better. I think Opie and Anthony will be out of work thankfully. I could not stand to see XM sell out to over the air censor radio as they did with O and A. Sirius wont let that happen I hope. I would pay 30.00 a month for the merger. Can not wait! Rock on MEL!

Sirius has been growing fact but not that fast. They had aover 3 milion subs at the end of 2005 and 6 million a tthe end of 2006. They annouced an 89% growth rate---very good bit not what you are claiming. IIRC they hit 600,000 in the third quarter of 2004.

Which is when they announced the Howard Stern Deal. I preffer XM myself and am defintely NOT a Stern fan, but their is no doubt he was a excellent investment. He has paid for himself already.