I received my official letter today.

There are still churches and even colleges that believe in no tv, no movies and yes even no women in pants. Pensacola Christian college and church being one. Most if not all Missionary Baptist, Separate baptist and Independent Baptists are also TV/movie free.

Its not Tv so much as the commercials that have become so offensive. You can choose not to watch an offensive so but little can be done to avoid the commercials yet still enjoy tv. Have not been happy with fox and hallmark commercials either. Unfortunately each generation has become desensitized to violence, nudity etc.

We had no tv for 5 years and may end up there again once sky angel shuts off my dbs. It will take some getting used to but it can be done. A few years back we bought an Amish home, no electric never mind phone or tv and we survived :)

You can choose not to watch an offensive so but little can be done to avoid the commercials yet still enjoy tv.

Ever hear of Tivo? 30 sec commercial skip works just fine! :D

You can choose not to watch an offensive so but little can be done to avoid the commercials yet still enjoy tv.

Ever hear of Tivo? 30 sec commercial skip works just fine! :D
Or better yet, ReplayTV (still available for purchase, but not currently marketing them) has the 5040 series dvr's that can be set to automatically skip the commercials (not a constant 30 sec skip... it just does it and you barely notice that there should have been a commercial right there)

I wouldn't say most Indepedent Baptists don't allow TV. It's rare in our area to find a church that states that from the pulpit. No women in pants is still very common in Independent, especially IFB churches. Our church states that from the pulpit, and the schools have the same policy. Silly to me. If it's cultural, why make it doctrine. Some independent churches have their own TV program, so they would expect their members to own a TV so they could watch it.

What would work to remove commercials WHILE watching tv? am not into recording shows

Well if you have OTA or cable my TV, for example, has a feature to jump to another channel and after a set amount of time jump back. Could flip over to a music channel or the weather channel I suppose.

Not perfect though since it's timed and doesn't know exactly when the commercials will end.

Or you could put Tivo on a time delay but the Dish 508 is better for that since it won't let you accidentally interrupt the pause and lose the programming being delayed.

I had another thought, a Picture in Picture set.

Last edited:
What would work to remove commercials WHILE watching tv? am not into recording shows

Our DVR does this. When the commercial comes on, we hit pause while watching live TV. When a minute has passed we hit the fast forward button and go forward 1 minute and skip that commercial. I watch cooking shows this way to avoid the commercials.

Once you start using a DVR, you find it very hard to ever "go back". :)

Picking what you want to watch is so much better than taking whatever is fed to you!

Brad

Even though the new Sky Angel IPTV doesn't have DVR, it does have access to programs from the last 48 hours on the faith TV channels. That is almost the same advantage as DVR.

We invested in a lifetime subscription to Sky Angel programming. We did not invested in a satellite delivery method. Robert Jr seems to indicate in his Dominion letter that the "death" that ends our lifetime is their business decision to use a different delivery method for our Sky Angel programming. He even went to the trouble of changing the business name to dump the lifetime subscribers.
Take a look at skyangel.com. Sky Angel programming is clearly alive. Even a "reasonable ordinary person" can see that the Sky Angel programming has not changed it's just the delivery method that has changed.
I would have expected (and still do expect) that those of us with lifetime subscriptions be allowed to continue receiving the programming via the new delivery method. That's a reasonable request as that's what we invested in a lifetime subscription for. We didn't create the lifetime subscription. We responded to Sky Angel's offer and took them up on it. Clearly the father of Sky Angel needed our investment at that time and was willing to provide a lifetime of Sky Angel programming in return.

I'm only asking to receive what my investment paid for, a lifetime subscription to Sky Angel programming. I'm willing to spend the $149 for the set top box needed to receive the programming via the new delivery method.

If a class action is what it takes to get Robert Jr to correctly address this issue. I would participate. This would not go to court, very few actually do, it would go to arbitration. I have no interest in destroying Sky Angel as a company. In receiving the programming we already paid for over the last several years, we haven't destroyed them. I don't expect that continuing to receive the programming would hurt them either. I don't appreciate the efforts to dump the lifetime subscriber community while they go ahead and deliver the same Sky Angel product that we are currently receiving.

On the other hand, if they had decided to give up on Sky Angel programming all together, I would have understood that the lifetime of our subscription is over.

I don't think it is too much to ask to continue receiving the Sky Angel programming via the new IPTV delivery method. For those lifers that don't have broadband access currently but do get it in the future, they should also be able to continue their lifetime subscription when broadband access is available to them.

Who here thought they invested in a life subscription to satellite delivery of Sky Angel programming versus a lifetime subscription to the Sky Angel programming itself? This is where the real issue is defined.

Todd

Well put

Very well put but its falling on deaf ears :( sky angel monitors these and other boards. I even contacted nancy the VP of the company.

They had originally stated there would be a 'special offer" to lifetime members but that they would not honor lifetime subs. However the only offer was the same as made t the general public, commit for 18 months and get a free box.

The lifetimers who read this board are only a small portion of all the lifetime subs that skyangel sold. there is strength and unity in #s. Somehow word needs to get out to those lifetimers who do NOT have internet that there are those who want to dispute sky angels policy. Only then would you have a successful chance at negitiating with skyangel.

Even though the new Sky Angel IPTV doesn't have DVR, it does have access to programs from the last 48 hours on the faith TV channels. That is almost the same advantage as DVR.

DVRs have so many advantages over programs available via IPTV (only available for 48 hours) the "contest" isn't even close. For those of us that have had DVRs since 1999 it is another reason not to even consider IPTV service now. That not only applies to SKy Angel's service but ANY IPTV service that does not include a DVR.

If sky angel is continuing to broadcast angel one via dbs/dish, shouldn't the lifetimers be entitled to at least receive that at no charge?

If sky angel is continuing to broadcast angel one via dbs/dish, shouldn't the lifetimers be entitled to at least receive that at no charge?
Actually it's FTA right now on 119, along with the NASA channel and a number of Dish info channels. :)

You never know when the free ride will end, though. I bought a FTA PC card for the music; unfortunately as of a couple of weeks ago, the CD and AUD channels are now scrambled. :(

Hold the phone!

I have had no luck setting up my FTA. But I DO have a 2-position Dish 500 dish with integrated lnb and a dish pointed at 61.5.

So are you saying that I should be able to connect one of these antennas to my FTA receiver and be able to receive SA on 119?

I have yet to even get a signal strength on my FTA receiver so if I understand you correctly I should be able to at least see if my box is a doorstop or not, no?

I'm going to have to give that a try. So can I use the switch integrated lnb or would it have to be the dish with the single lnb?

I'm going to have to give that a try. So can I use the switch integrated lnb or would it have to be the dish with the single lnb?
Either will work. You'll need to set the diseqc settings appropriately for the internal switch to work if you use that lnbf though.

Still no luck. I tried that and 61.5 and my receiver still doesn't even show a signal. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)