I setup my dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

funkypc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2008
North America
I had a smaller elliptical starchoice dish at my house so I finally decided to set it up. It was almost to easy. I am at like 96.99W, so I just set my elevation on the dish, pointed it south based on my roof line, went back inside, and I had 97W. There is a lot of channels up there, even though most are useless. I found good programming on JCTV.
Then, I turned 22hz off to see if I could get 93W with the other LNB. I was able to scan and view one channel on that bird to. Kinda cool, considering I did no aiming for that sat. I guess a smaller dish is easier to aim eh?
About 5-10 channels seem to be to weak to come in, but everything else looks flawless on the CS5000. Now I just need a bigger dish and a motor to start scanning the arc.
Thanks for all the useful information on this site :)

As 93W has had damage to it in the last week or so (bad solar panel) you might be better off aiming it at 97 and 101 (There's a at least a Fox channel there).

The LNBs on that dish are 4 degrees apart. Keep that in mind when you aim it.

ya, that's exactly what it is - 60e. I should be getting a bigger dish soon, but I wanted to see what I could get with what I have.
Like I said there is about 10 channels that are too weak (all from 1 transponder?)
I think I will be getting an older starchoice 30" dish. Will that be good enough for most of the satellites or will I regret not getting a bigger dish?

So you don't find many satellite signals you can't lock with a 30"? I'm in Canada, just north of winnipeg.

so, its raining today - the 60e has some Serious rain fade issues...

Rain fade issues are the prime reason to look for larger dishes. If you have to have a dish shipped , you might as well get a 36" dish instead of a 30" . Price is only a little more and shipping is about the same.
:)

ya, the 30" SC dish I'm getting for free locally, so I figure I may as well give it a try. He was supposed to drop it off at my work last week, but I he must have forgot.
I am just not sure if I should motorize the 30", or if I will want a different dish anyways and should order a new dish when I get a motor. I guess I'll test out the 30" for a while and see how it reacts to rain (or snow...).

Sounds like a sensible plan. Generally, if you were going to order a new dish, you'd save money by getting a motorized bundle, as opposed to buying dish, motor, lnbf separately. You can afford to wait and see, I think.

Can anyone tell me why my audio is out of synch on my CS5000? I am using the 1.00 factory bin. Its not off by much, but I notice it as soon as someones lips move.

Can anyone tell me why my audio is out of synch on my CS5000? I am using the 1.00 factory bin. Its not off by much, but I notice it as soon as someones lips move.
Brian, at SatelliteAV, gave me an explaination of that the other day. It is a function of the uplink quality, mainly, and something about resets, but there were some other things, too. Someone else will probably chime in with the full answer, but I lost the explaination about 30 seconds after that key thought.
But that was enough for me.
POP

I checked with my DVB card and the audio is still out of synch. Is this normal in FTA or is it something in my setup?

I think the audio is out of synch on all the channels, but I could be wrong. Most of the channels on 97W are not worth watching. On the channels I do watch, the audio is Always out of synch.
rv1pop, I think I see what you are getting at. I have a very low signal strength with my 60E dish, so I guess that could be contributing to the problem? That's basically what I wanted to know - if getting a proper sized dish would fix the problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.