I took the plunge...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
Those New Subscriber deals + Sunday ticket were too much for me.

I got a Genie and Genie Extender to replace Hopper and Joey.

The five individual tuners is big to me, as I frequently have conflicts on DISH since I watch tons of Cable Networks. I loved my Hopper, but I've got more channels, a cheaper bill, and Sunday ticket for less than I was paying Dish. It's a shame Dish wouldn't give me that second Hopper I asked for (wanted full price).

I hope all of you will welcome me. Install is on my birthday (6/7). If anyone has tips/tricks you would like to give me to make the transition easier, they will be appreciated.

Chris

i advise you to change the extender to either an h24 or hr24
no use to tie up a tuner with it

the extender is like a joey. no tuner
you can add an h24 and still see the recordings on the genie
you can add an hr24, and have 2 dvrs and share recordings

imho anything without a tuner is useless as it ties up a tuner on the main unit

I'm debating on a 2nd dvr, however maybe I can get the Costco guy to give me a deal on it.

Doubtful, unless you haven't ordered yet.
Fwiw, the Costco and other in store guys won't be able to do as much as D* themselves as far as adding stuff.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I'm happy with the client and the genie... All I need is the 5 tuners and a client in the bedroom. I basically just duplicated my Dish system. I am reading about a faster Genie. I guess I should have researched this. I had football fever... LOL.

What are the odds I get the fast one? Install isn't until 6/7. I was surprised it was so far away.

I'm happy with the client and the genie... All I need is the 5 tuners and a client in the bedroom. I basically just duplicated my Dish system. I am reading about a faster Genie. I guess I should have researched this. I had football fever... LOL.

What are the odds I get the fast one? Install isn't until 6/7. I was surprised it was so far away.

It's possible,, depends on if your in an area that they have them available now or not.

The Geie 34 is not really slow, it's just not as fast as the NEW one will be, seeing it's NEW... The 34 is faster than the older units.

It's possible,, depends on if your in an area that they have them available now or not.

The Geie 34 is not really slow, it's just not as fast as the NEW one will be, seeing it's NEW... The 34 is faster than the older units.
The Genie/HR34 is not slow , just as you stated , the clients are!
From what I understand the HR44 speeds up that issue. But again that thing is new, and like all the directv equipment, some bug reports will start rolling in once more of them are in the hands of customers.
Right now my HR34 is fairly stable , so I have no desire to upgrade.

I’ve been with D* a little over a month and had the HR34 replaced within the first 10 days. On my second callback for the same problem, they sent out a tech and I was lucky enough to have the HR34 replaced with a HR44. To me the HR34 was sluggish; it did not always respond to commands in a consistent way every time. The HR44 is lightening fast, however, it does not have an effect on the client, its just as slow as ever.

I’ve been with D* a little over a month and had the HR34 replaced within the first 10 days. On my second callback for the same problem, they sent out a tech and I was lucky enough to have the HR34 replaced with a HR44. To me the HR34 was sluggish; it did not always respond to commands in a consistent way every time. The HR44 is lightening fast, however, it does not have an effect on the client, its just as slow as ever.

It's been my experience that if you use the c41 clients with a hr34 genie that they are extremely slow, and the 44 combined with 41s as opposed to 31s speeds things up a little. Over all I believe OP as well as most customers would be happier with a H25 (or HD box) in place of the client. This however is currently another 100 added to the install fee as only clients are currently free. Monthly you would be paying the same thing with either the receiver or client, so the only additional cost is a one time, thus I recommend getting all of your boxes on install. Being a member of this site will help you understand the technology greatly, oh and

:welcome:

It's been my experience that if you use the c41 clients with a hr34 genie that they are extremely slow, and the 44 combined with 41s as opposed to 31s speeds things up a little. Over all I believe OP as well as most customers would be happier with a H25 (or HD box) in place of the client. This however is currently another 100 added to the install fee as only clients are currently free. Monthly you would be paying the same thing with either the receiver or client, so the only additional cost is a one time, thus I recommend getting all of your boxes on install. Being a member of this site will help you understand the technology greatly, oh and

:welcome:

So, you are saying for another 100, I can just get another HD receiver? My install isn't until 6/7. I'd be happy to call and change it.

Can someone recommend the best performing setup I can ask for? Genie is a given. What is the BEST receiver to get for the Bedroom/Client location?

Would it be smarter for me to keep install the same and just buy the H25 from Solid Signal and have it installed instead? I am open to any suggestions. I'm willing to spend up to 200 additional dollars on the initial setup.

So, you are saying for another 100, I can just get another HD receiver? My install isn't until 6/7. I'd be happy to call and change it.

Can someone recommend the best performing setup I can ask for? Genie is a given. What is the BEST receiver to get for the Bedroom/Client location?

Would it be smarter for me to keep install the same and just buy the H25 from Solid Signal and have it installed instead? I am open to any suggestions. I'm willing to spend up to 200 additional dollars on the initial setup.

Thats exactly what I am saying, In my experience an actual receiver will outperform a client or extender as you worded it. Its just like the Joey is to the Hopper, without the Hopper the Joey is worthless. If your willing to spend up to an additional 200 dollars on the initial setup I would recommend calling in to change your order to reflect one Genie and one HDDVR. this will cost you an extra 199 to install, but will give you a total of 7 available recording tuners, and both dvr's will be able to see eachothers playlists. This was if you do fill all 5 tuners up in your Genie or Living room for example one will not be needed for the client (bedroom) the bedroom will have 2 tuners all to itself. The great thing about all this is it's only an upfront upgrade cost. Your monthly bill will be the same as they quoted you originally.

If you just want an HD box thats fine, but you will be back to 5 tuners from the 7 i proposed. The only other difference, since the HD box will be able to see the recordings from the Genie is the HD box can not directly pause live tv. However you can set recordings from the HD box, so you can pause by simply hitting record (which would trigger your genie to remotely record the program you are viewing in the bedroom) and then press pause which would then pause your recording. Just an extra step, but for an extra 200 as opposed to 100 Id rather have 2 dvr's myself, one of course being the genie. ;)

Your best bet with the most options would be to get the Genie and HR24's with it, this way they all have thier own tuners and can work independently of the Genie.

They should really put some more staff on that 'change your order' number. I wonder how many people give up and cancel the appointment after holding for 10+ minutes...

This is crazy... You always give good service at least until you get the contract executed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

can a SWiM 16 be mounted outside

mass storage device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)