I tried moving my external storage drive four times today and it doesn't work

AdamGott

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
I know that some were talking about doing this but I never saw anyone post about it and I tried searching (so go ahead and flame away if you must if I have duplicated a topic).

I got a good deal on a 320 gig HD this week and it is my second drive so I copied a few shows to it and tried moving it back and forth between my two 622's. It worked three times and then the fourth it asked me if I wanted to reformat the drive. I will mess around more but it looks like this limitation does apply, contrary to what some have been saying.

One thing though, you can copy shows from one receiver to another using the external HD so the three swap limit is less restrictive given this.

The limit is three moves between machines.

I'd contemplate recording the content on the other machine in the first place or leaving it on the USB drive.

I assume the 3 limit counter is kept on the drive. Could a drive be mirrored first and the copy hooked up to the other player without affecting anything? Or perhaps the counter is stored by E* somewhere and the receiver must dial in for authorization?

You could always get a 40GB drive or something cheap and use that to move stuff back and forth. Then you can just erase it and start over after your three moves are up.

You could always get a 40GB drive or something cheap and use that to move stuff back and forth. Then you can just erase it and start over after your three moves are up.
And that will only be necessary until the software update that will correct the limitation (or wipe everything off :D )

The 622/722 does not support drives that small. The supported drives are 60 GBs to 750 GBs. Although 1 TB drives are not offically supported I do know a few people that are using them and they haven't had any problems.

Right.... I am not going to hold my breath for this one.

AdamGott,

Really all those 501,508 510 owners can NOW come off Life Support (from holding their collective breath)

The new Firmware spool to those receivers has NBR (Name Based Recording), only about 2 years late.:eek:

John

The 622/722 does not support drives that small. The supported drives are 60 GBs to 750 GBs. Although 1 TB drives are not offically supported I do know a few people that are using them and they haven't had any problems.

I thought it was posted that 40GB was the minimum. Where did you get 60GB?