IA-8 to be launched on June 23?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I just found out on DBStalk.com saying they are launching a new satellite called IA-8 on 89*W.

Is that true?

It's looks too tight for a spacing between satellite like G-11 and IA-6.

Any ideas? :yes

Is it just me, or has this been talked about for a long time?

Pulled from here :

Telstar 8 and 9, both hybrid C-, Ka-, and Ku-band spacecraft, are scheduled for launch in 2003 and 2004, respectively. Skynet’s customers use the satellites in a wide variety of applications, ranging from cable and direct-to-home television to Internet applications, to news gathering, distance learning, business TV, and telephony.

Built by SS/L for Loral Skynet, Telstar-8 is one of the most powerful communications satellites ever designed. It is the first to be built on SS/L's extended 1300 bus (LS-1300S) and will carry 92 transponders with a total end-of-life power of 16 kw. The payload will include 36 Ku-band, 22 C-band, and 24 Ka-band active transponders, providing coverage across North and South America.

Loral anounced in July 2003 a definite agreement to sell Telstar 8 to Intelsat. The status of Telstar 9 is unclear.

Pulled from here:

Telstar 8, to be operated as Intelsat America 8, will be launched in 2004 from Sea Launch's Odyssey Launch Platform by a Zenit-3SL rocket. It is one of the most powerful communications satellites ever built, with a total of 92 Ku-band, C-band, and Ka-band transponders, a transmitter power of at least 16,000 W, and a mass of 5,500 kg. Telstar 8 wil replace Telstar 402R, which Loral declared lost in 2003, at 89° W and provide coverage across North and South America.

This bit looks interesting and is a little more recent (04/22/2005)
Pulled from here:

Intelsat North America LLC (Intelsat North America) has filed an application for modification of its Intelsat Americas 8 (IA-8) satellite, authorized to operate at 89° W.L. Specifically, Intelsat requests a waiver of the cross-polarization isolation requirements contained in Section 25.210(i) of the Federal Communications Commission’s rules with respect to the C- and Ku-band operations of the IA-8 satellite.

...as does this...
Pulled from here:

PREVISION OF LAUNCHINGS OF THE CURRENT MONTH:
Intelsat America 8 - ??/06/2005 (with possible webcast)

Sorry to go link-crazy :rolleyes:
Interesting reading, though.

N5XZS said:
I just found out on DBStalk.com saying they are launching a new satellite called IA-8 on 89*W.

Is that true?

It's looks too tight for a spacing between satellite like G-11 and IA-6.

Any ideas? :yes

if its going to 89, it will go between AMC3 (87) and G11 (91) :)

This would replace where Telstar 4 was, which I think is where Primestar or Alphastar were before the satellite blew up :)

http://www.spacetoday.net/Summary/1923
Alphastar was on T4 http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.video.satellite.dbs/browse_thread/thread/5485d6c0a8e16091/45b9cb812ffc8e28?q=alphastar+telstar+4&rnum=1&hl=en#45b9cb812ffc8e28

I remember getting the info pack on Alphastar back around 1995 or so. I also remember pitching it out. Wish I still had it. It might be worth something on E-bay. They really wanted to sell me that $700 receiver and dish. I am glad I did not hope on that band wagon.

Iceberg said:

This would replace where Telstar 4 was, which I think is where Primestar or Alphastar were before the satellite blew up :)

Iceberg said:

Georgia Public Television (GPT) and Peachstar were on Telstar 4 along with PBS's primary east coast feed and several of the Adult channels and ABC used it extensively at the time of it's failure. There were also a lot of sports backhauls found there. Gee that's been a long time ago.... In a far. far, far away place.

Edit: Also the Georgia, Florida and Texas lottery feeds were once found on Telstar 4.

This is from the Sea Launch Site this morning -

Sea Launch is currently preparing for the launch of the Intelsat Americas™-8 communications satellite on June 23 at 5:58am PDT (12:58:00 GMT). Built by Space Systems/Loral, the 5500 kg (12,125 lb.) spacecraft carries Ku-band, C-band and Ka-band transponders, to provide broad coverage over the Americas, the Caribbean, Hawaii and Alaska.

Been hearing about the Ka-band but is it in use yet???

I've been hearing about Ka-band for a while now, but the last I've heard, it was still being tested and wasn't in use yet. Is this still true or is there some commercial use of it right now? Also, will the Ka-band signals require a new reflector that is different in size from Ku and C band? I know that they will definately require new types of feedhorns that have the capability of receiving the extreme high frequency as well as new LNBs. I was just wondering if the reflector sizes or dish sizes will remain close to the same shape and size as Ku? I knew that the higher you went in frequency the more attentuation you get from such things as interference and rain fall and the more gain you would need from a receiving antenna as well as more wattage or power applied behind the signal to make sure it is receivable from the ground.

lilyarbie said:
I've been hearing about Ka-band for a while now, but the last I've heard, it was still being tested and wasn't in use yet. Is this still true or is there some commercial use of it right now? Also, will the Ka-band signals require a new reflector that is different in size from Ku and C band? I know that they will definately require new types of feedhorns that have the capability of receiving the extreme high frequency as well as new LNBs. I was just wondering if the reflector sizes or dish sizes will remain close to the same shape and size as Ku? I knew that the higher you went in frequency the more attentuation you get from such things as interference and rain fall and the more gain you would need from a receiving antenna as well as more wattage or power applied behind the signal to make sure it is receivable from the ground.

Not only would I like answers to "lilyarbie's" questions, but would also like to know if I'll need a Ka-band receiver (most likely) and where I can get one?

The Ka band uplink uses frequencies around 30GHz and the downlink uses frequencies between 18.3 and 18.8Ghz and between 19.7 and 20.2Ghz.
This (In theory) means smaller dish sizes and LNBs capable of higher frequency operation.
Most of the tuners available today may not be compatible with Ka band unless the down-converting happens within the LNB itself in which case Ka will be totally transparent to the receiver.

The only caveat with Cband dishes are with a mesh dish where the perforations may be too large to effectively receive Ka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka_band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)