ID THE OLD DISH

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeinBaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
San Diego area (CA)
Here are some pretty bad shots (Iwarned you Anole) of a dish I might be able to pick up. It is solid, obviously, looks to be +/- 4' and has a romewhat rolled rim around the edge from what I can see.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC00445.JPG
    DSC00445.JPG
    871.3 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC00446.JPG
    DSC00446.JPG
    811.5 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC00447.JPG
    DSC00447.JPG
    869.7 KB · Views: 204
any picture is better than no picture:

Wow, what a little cutie!
I know DH Satellite used to make similar dishes, but no bets on what brand yours is!
Seems to be on a proper mount, and with a nice motor, too!
I know the LNB cover makes that dish look small , but are you sure it's not just an optical illusion...could the dish be bigger?
No, probably not, but I can't see why anyone would put a 4' dish on C-band.
Maybe it's a 5' dish? I have heard tell of some in that size, though pretty uncommon.

If this is not in use, I'd get it just for bragging rights.
But, let's think now of your dilemma -
Wifey doesn't want your view spoiled, and you drag home a solid (yea, I love it too!)
Would a nice 8' light grey mesh you can still see through, be less an eye-sore?
Hell, if it was me, I'd get 'em both, so no complaints here! - :D
I guess if you can get that little solid, go ahead and get your feet wet on C-band with it.

Thought you went to the cantina to see an 8' BUD, but this is a rare treat.
Keep us in the loop.

From the side, the pics make it look smaller, from the back , I could believe a 6 footer, so Anole's 5' guess fits right in. Looks like a prize whatever it is, I'd like to have it , If you ship free.
:)
PM me if you want my address !!! :)

Wow, what a little cutie!
I know DH Satellite used to make similar dishes, but no bets on what brand yours is!
Seems to be on a proper mount, and with a nice motor, too!
I know the LNB cover makes that dish look small , but are you sure it's not just an optical illusion...could the dish be bigger?
No, probably not, but I can't see why anyone would put a 4' dish on C-band.
Maybe it's a 5' dish? I have heard tell of some in that size, though pretty uncommon.

If this is not in use, I'd get it just for bragging rights.
But, let's think now of your dilemma -
Wifey doesn't want your view spoiled, and you drag home a solid (yea, I love it too!)
Would a nice 8' light grey mesh you can still see through, be less an eye-sore?
Hell, if it was me, I'd get 'em both, so no complaints here! - :D
I guess if you can get that little solid, go ahead and get your feet wet on C-band with it.

Thought you went to the cantina to see an 8' BUD, but this is a rare treat.
Keep us in the loop.

Definitely could be bigger that 4' - that's just my SWAG - have not been able to get close enough to it yet to tell for sure. It's definitely not in use, so am hoping for a freebie or real cheap. Will go back tomorrow with fresh tamales and cold Tecate and give it a try.

The one mesh BUD I looked at was a real golden oldie. The mesh was in good shape, but was way bigger than the number 2 pencil test, so I took a pass on it.

May have worked out the mama versus view issue - pole mount down the hill towards the beach from the house. Will put it below eye level, but will be harder to get to. Cable run will be under 100'.

Actually, went to the Cantina guys for brunch (may not eat again for a few days) and swung by this other spot to snap the pics. No BUD there - otherwise, I'd have it up for him. He may wind up with this solid anyway (assuming I can get it) if the view thing doesn't clear muster with mama.

Brent: To use a famous quote "Fugetaboutit";).

More to follow tomorrow.

- has she got a cousin?

Other than the obvious LNB support, this 5' solid bears family resemblance to your new find.
Who decided to paint all those pretty solid dishes in white? - :rolleyes:

Other than the obvious LNB support, this 5' solid bears family resemblance to your new find.
Who decided to paint all those pretty solid dishes in white? - :rolleyes:

Actually, the "cutie" I was looking at wasn't painted - white fiberglass. Went down there this morning and got a closer look - you guys were right (big surprise there) she was 5'.

Anyway, the cutie will probably not be finding a new home anytime soon. Found out it has not been used for at least 7 years, but the son (who is away at school in Mexico City) has expressed an interest in messing with it "someday".

I'll keep it in my memory banks for next year.

The search continues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)