identify this BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IntelPennny4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i got a bud for free and i would like for people to tell me what they think it is. i will also need permission to post pictures of the dish if any admin wouldnt mind giving it to me thanks

IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG

7 1/2 footer? If that is a Unimesh, and it looks like it could be, you got a nice dish there. A little small (if it's 7 1/2 foot) for some stuff but a nice starter dish and the price was right!

What's that white stuff all over it? :oldwink

i dont have it hooked up yet as there is white stuff all over the place. i got it for 125w for the music choice channels

i wanted to know if someone could tell me if this LNB and feedhorn can still be used and if not what should i use? thanks

ok but i want to use it lol. do i need to upgrade it or can it still be ok with todays use

The technology of that LNB and Feed horn is still usable. You need a controller for the polarotor motor on the feedhorn (blue box with 3 wires) to switch from vertical to horizontal frequencies. New LNBFs are voltage switched and do not require that controller. Look at the ASC1 and LNBFs at TitaniumSatellite.com

Reactions: Titanium
thank you. i have the new C1-PLL. i kinda dont get the whole focal point thing and kinda wanted to use the chaparral because its fixed and its the one thats on the dish now

The feedhorn and LNB provide the best performance as the polarity can be optimized with the servo motor for each satellite and polarity. The Norsat LNB in the photo is still good by today's standards as it is rated 20k. Many of us use feedhorns and LNBs as we can optimize to squeak out every bit of signal from weak transponders or detune to attenuate unwanted interference.

To use the Chaparral feedhorn with the polarity servo and feedhorn, you can manually select the satellite to move the dish actuator motor and select between Odd and Even channels to change the servo polarity. This would need to be done manually for each satellite change and changing channels between transponders on opposite polarities. The simple way to control the Chaparral/servo/LNB would be to use an ASC1 for complete automatic control.

A less expensive option that many hobbyists use is to swap the Chaparral/servo/LNB feed and instead use a LNBF like the C1-PLL. A LNBF automatically changes between polarities buy any FTA STB, but cannot be fine-tuned for each satellite and polarity without going out to the dish and adjusting. To move the actuator motor, use an inexpensive Gbox or Vbox and a FTA STB will control the dish actuator movement for automatic operation.

Edit: I see that you already have a C1-PLL. Measure the existing feedhorn scalar placement, remove and install the C1-PLL LNBF and scalar in the same position. It will be close enough for now, then you can fine-tune and adjust later after you get your feet wet!

im only using the dish for one bird and that is 125w and only for the music choice channels no others. i figured that it wouldnt be that hard to set the dish for one transponder for just the music choice

You could use either the Chaparral or the C1-PLL. On either one, the skew needs to be set.

With the Chaparral, remove the blue servo motor and manually rotate the probe to the correct skew angle for your location. Put the STB LNB voltage on fixed 18V (horizontal), then blind scan 125w.

With the C1-PLL, rotate the LNB so the "0" mark on the rear of the feedhorn is set to the correct skew angle for your location. Then blind scan 125w.

BTW... Since the dish will not be moving, use the motor tube to lock the dish in the center of the mount. Forget about the declination settings for tracking the arc. Rotate the dish on the pole to the 125W compass reading. Put a digital angle finder on the vertical axis of the reflector and adjust the Elevation bolt for the 125W elevation angle (www.dishpointer.com). Set the skew angle with the dish aimed at 125w. Should be able to aim the fixed dish for 125w within a few minutes!

ok i know the skew is 37.7 i understand how to set the skew on the C1 but not the feedhorn. the elevation for me is 18.5 how would i set the dish to that? i have a inclinometer but the angel on the dish is like 50. do i have to do some math to figure out the real elevation

Aim the dish to the compass reading for 125w, then put a straight edge from top to bottom on the reflector rim. Place the digital inclinometer on the straight edge and adjust the elevation bolt until the face of the dish is aimed at 18.9° elevation.

To adjust the polarity skew on the chaparral, remove the servo motor and that will expose a small plastic part that rotates the probe located in inside of the feedhorn cavity. Looking inside the feedhorn tube rotate the probe using the small plastic part until the probe rotates to 37.7° (1:30/6:30 position on the face of a clock). That will give you vertical polarity for the 125w satellite position.

Reactions: Wms-Stargate
Model: PI21R1-03

if thats the right one do i hook the stb to the ird port on the power inserter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)