Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 32GB Wi- Fi + 4G Verizon

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 64GB Wi- Fi + 4G Verizon

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • as the prices drop, a new or used iPad 2

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
I'll probably get the newest iPad eventually because my iPad1 is getting slow and I wish it had a camera. I am in no hurry and I may just get the iPad2 if it comes down. Maybe something to put on my Christmas list

If I do u would need at least 64G and I only need WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I can see it now, you'll be the guy at the concert holding out his 10" iPad taking photos obstructing everybody's view :D :D

Seriously, I have used the camera on my iPad 2 maybe 3 or 4 times, and all for testing purposes. Maybe the 5MP camera will make a difference, but I don't see the camera as a game changer. In face, I can take advantage of the cool iPhoto app with my iPhone photos, since they photo stream to my iPad.

And to answer the poll question - 64GB Wi-Fi. I keep more than 32GB of stuff on my iPad, so 64GB is required. Like others, I am blanketed by Wi-Fi most of the time; I have a Virgin Mobile HotSpot IF I need it, but have not used it in several months - indeed pretty much wasted the last $40 fill-up.

:D

The main reason I need the camera is because I use my iPad when I do teacher observations. It comes in handy when I need to take pictures in the classroom or even film some of the lessons (with teacher and parent permission of course). Images, film, notes, etc. all on one device.

If I were the get the one with 4G without the 4G service, will I be able to use GPS APPs like I can on the phone?

It depends on the App. Most free navigation apps require you to be on-line. So, you need to be connected to the Internet either through 3G/4G or via Wi-Fi (perhaps tethered from a phone or a MiFi device).
Most paid Apps, like my favorite TomTom, give you off-line maps, so you do not need to have 4G service to use TomTom navigation. You do need occasional Internet connection (e.g. Wi-Fi at home) to update the maps and to get the most recent satellite locations: this is not required, but will speed up the satellite locking.

Chances are pretty good that a data plan is required as part of the purchase.

No, it's not! I believe it's the same as with iPad 2 3G: month-to-month with no contract. Activate it when you need it.

Ilya said:
It depends on the App. Most free navigation apps require you to be on-line. So, you need to be connected to the Internet either through 3G/4G or via Wi-Fi (perhaps tethered from a phone or a MiFi device).
Most paid Apps, like my favorite TomTom, give you off-line maps, so you do not need to have 4G service to use TomTom navigation. You do need occasional Internet connection (e.g. Wi-Fi at home) to update the maps and to get the most recent satellite locations: this is not required, but will speed up the satellite locking.

Tom Tom is the main reason I asked. Thanks.

Tom Tom is the main reason I asked. Thanks.
You don't need 3G/4G for TomTom, unless you subscribe to their traffic updates.
TomTom works great on the iPad, though personally I prefer to run it on my iPhone instead.

Kinda small screen on the iPhone, no? That's why I've steered clear of GPS mapping apps.

Kinda small screen on the iPhone, no? That's why I've steered clear of GPS mapping apps.

Not really! All I need is to know when and where to turn. And since it talks me through every turn, I don't really need to look at it too much. All it takes is just a quick glance in case I am not sure which lane to take.
Also, another advantage is that if I get a phone call, TomTom automatically mutes the voice announcements, while still displaying the turn-by-turn directions.

You don't need 3G/4G for TomTom, unless you subscribe to their traffic updates.
TomTom works great on the iPad, though personally I prefer to run it on my iPhone instead.
I have it on my iPad but it doesn't work because I do not have GPS on the WiFi only. GPS is the reason I want the 3g/4g iPad without service.

rockymtnhigh said:
For the $130 difference you could probably buy a decent stand-alone GPS, but for each their own!

It will be for other GPS APPs as well. Plus the huge screen.:D

Last edited:
But lots of apps use location services and it is nice to be able to use them all (like movie theater lookup, google maps, etc).

I can use location services quite well on my iPad, but still find the iPhone is more valuable for that and easier to deal with. If I am walking around the streets of Chicago, I would rather pull out my phone than my iPad (which screams -- come steal my expensive gadget!). And if I am in a hotel room, and want to say, look up a theater on my iPad, the location services built in via the wi-fi are not half-bad.

But as I said, to each their own.

I just use my Skyrocket as my GPS. I recently got a nice dock for my phone that attaches to my dormant CD slot and it's great. Not having "mobile" GPS on my iPad is not an issue for me, as I only use it for directions when going from point A to point B, as opposed to doing "Navigation."

As far as the enhanced camera goes I'm actually really psyched for it and was one of the deciding factors for me in getting the new iPad. When I had my old Xoom tablet I found myself using that camera quite often because I found that I had better control of my pictures/film when I could use both my hands as opposed to just using a few fingers on my phone. Also, as crazy as it sounds I often find I have easier access to my iPad than I do my cellphone for spontaneous pictures/videos. That said, I understand the confusion about why a tablet should have a camera as it's rather hard to take candid photos/videos out and about with it, but for at home this will be great for me. I have a 2 year old and am about to have another child (well, I'M not but my wife is..) so there will be plenty of photos and videos waiting to be taken and quickly uploaded to Facebook for all my relatives who'd rather just look at stuff on there as opposed to seeing the little buggers in person.

4G or Wi-Fi only? I am going with 4G, since I can tether it to my laptop, and also for GPS.

AT&T or Verizon? I have decided to go with Verizon, mostly because of the mobile hotspot capability. I think AT&T will eventually support that too and will probably make it free to stay competitive. But who knows how soon that will happen...

32GB or 64GB? I think, 32GB is enough for now, but I may end up getting the 64GB one, just in case, since it's not upgradable. Or whichever one is left when I get to the store. ;)

Black or white? Definitely black!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)