If I buy an Ipad?

Since Apple does not use an SD card you are limiting yourself if you don't get the most storage you can afford. 16GB today is woefully undersized. (And it won't be even 16GB that does not include the space taken by the OS and included apps) If Apple size movies are the same as Android, you would probably get one movie with the space left with a 16GB model.

16 def not enough. Get 64 or 128, depending on model. You might check prices on used 64 iPad3s.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If you get a 16 GB, your not getting a full 16GB of space as the OS and other apps take up room, I think after all is said and done a new 16 GB iPad out of the box only has 12 or 13 GB of free space.

I would at least go for 32 GB. I have a 32 GB myself and have loaded up to 10 shows on it when I was out traveling with no issue.

Google iPad 3 sale and you'll find lower prices.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I googled ipad 3 64gb and got so many different ipads it was completely confusing, They not only charge more for different colors, but they have some with retina display, Unlocked(what the hell does that even mean, used, minis, gen 1, gen 2 , refurbished, with iphone service from ATT, etc. I did not find a ipad 3 with 64gb at a lesser price than $429 other than used and I would rather not buy used, because some come with craked corners etc. Help? Anyone have a link to a better price. I am ready to buy one to go with my new Hopper sling.

Buy recertified from the Apple store, it may be a little more but you get a fully checked out ipad with 1 yr warranty just like a new one. They have several different models available (mini, full size 3 & 4, & various amounts of storage). You can call Apple & they will answer questions.

If I can make a suggestion...

If your going to buy an iPad buy one that has 4G Support. Even if you never activate the 4G service you will be happy.

My first iPad was just a WIFI model, and it didn't get much use since a majority of the apps required an internet connection. If your at home its one thing, but outside of the home it was useless.

My next iPad I got it with internet service... once I did that the iPad became part of me and I carried it with me everywhere. Now when I go out it is rare I bring my laptop with me, as the iPad can do almost everything. I can check my mail, in case of server issues I can access the servers, watch my home security cameras, watch live TV via my Hoppers... etc.

As I said get one with 4G but don't activate the service.. and use it and soon you will feel you need to turn on the 4G and you will be glad you have the ability to turn it on without having to buy a new iPad. :)

I find about 1 GB of space used per hour using the Hopper transfers. Your mileage may vary depending on the channel perhaps.

You can do the math from there. With a 16GB iPad ... with the OS using 2 or 3 GB ... apps use another 2 or 3 GB (??? Really depends on personal uses) ... that leaves you about 10 hours of recordings to transfer.

I just purchased a 64GB Air ... love it. For business trips I fill about half of it with movies ... which leaves me the other half free for pictures taken during the trip, technical books I may need along the way .. .etc.

Oh ... yes it will be more money ... but I would recommend the Air.

It is Apple's latest and greatest with the new 64 bit chip in it.

It is my gut feel that the Air will become the new baseline for Apple tablets due to the chip in it and should future proof it quite well I am thinking.

Also ... the Air is compatible with ALL US carriers (currently) ... assuming you get a cellular version. This will definitely help in choosing a carrier ;) With T-Mobile offering free for the first 250 MB ... why not?

The Air also has 300 Mbps WiFi ... hence these transfer that you are talking about ... will take about 3 to 5 minutes per GB (depending on what type of router you have at home). I have a 3rd generation iPad (the first with "Retina") that takes around 10 - 15 minutes per GB as it only had 65 Mbps wireless N.

The Air is also SUPER light. My 3rd generation feels like a tank ;) This may not seem like a big deal ... but after being on a flight for a few hours, having to hold the iPad while you are watching your movies ... it definitely helps in the hand fatigue.

The Air also has 2 speakers versus just one giving you slightly louder sound.

The Air I believe also has a few more mics ... so if you FaceTime a lot ... which I do when I travel to chat with the kids ... folks can hear you a lot better.

I think the Air has a slightly better front facing camera also compared to my 3rd generation.

No ... I don't work for Apple :)

Last edited:
I have an iPad Air, 128GB, 4G, and it is spectacular. My old iPad 1 was wifi only and 16GB. While it worked pretty well at home, like Scott said, was pretty useless outside. There is a huge financial jump for this guy though...

There is a huge financial jump for this guy though...
Yeah I know, I just dont want him feeling upset later on that he should have got the better one. As I said I am on the 32 GB on and its perfect for me, don't need to go to 64 or 128. And also dont need to enable the 4G service until he wants it. (And he can always shut it off and on as he needs to.) :)

My 3rd gen is 32 GB.

At first it seemed like a lot ... but then we started doing a lot of recordings with it ... kid performance here ... kid recital there. Movies at 1080P ate up space surprisingly fast. (I wish there was a way to set the camera to record in say 720P or some sort of "lower" mode for that reason.) That is the only reason why I went 64 GB this time around. I found that my family pictures and movies were eating up half my storage.

Of course if you are organized ( where I am NOT ;) ) you can transfer the movies and pictures off in a timely manner.

Don't get me wrong ... the wife uses the Hopper quite a bit with the 3rd gen. She has quite a few "Bubble Guppies" and "Dora" loaded up ... for those unexpected road trips to keep the little ones entertained for a bit.

Air and another option

[h=1]Get an Air, and for a lot of storage this will work. Seagate Wireless Plus 1 TB Mobile Device Storage with Built-In Wi-Fi Streaming (STCK1000100)[/h]

my advice....get an android.Your not forced into the apple ecosystem.For $250 to $300 you can get a very nice android with an sd card slot.But that's just my opinion.

If I can make a suggestion...

If your going to buy an iPad buy one that has 4G Support. Even if you never activate the 4G service you will be happy.

My first iPad was just a WIFI model, and it didn't get much use since a majority of the apps required an internet connection. If your at home its one thing, but outside of the home it was useless.

My next iPad I got it with internet service... once I did that the iPad became part of me and I carried it with me everywhere. Now when I go out it is rare I bring my laptop with me, as the iPad can do almost everything. I can check my mail, in case of server issues I can access the servers, watch my home security cameras, watch live TV via my Hoppers... etc.

As I said get one with 4G but don't activate the service.. and use it and soon you will feel you need to turn on the 4G and you will be glad you have the ability to turn it on without having to buy a new iPad. :)

I turn my iPhone 5s (with 4G) into a hot spot and link the iPad (without 4G) to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts