If you can see this message...

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
Just last night I got the dreaded "If you can see this message, the TV you're watching isn't prepared for Comcast's digital network enhancement." message. I already have a digital programming package and a TiVo connected to my main TV, but my secondary TV's are all connected by coax. I assume that when I call Comcast, they are going to tell me that I need one of their digital converter boxes for my secondary TV's. Before I make the call, I have some questions about those boxes:

1) Will I be charged a rental or additional outlet fee if I get the converter box from Comcast?

2) Will I still receive digital channels through QAM (locals in HD for example) if I go through the converter box or will it convert everything to analog?

3) Can I split the output from the converter box?

4) Will I receive any additional channels through the box that I don't already get, for example high-numbered digital channels that weren't available on analog.

Thanks in advance for your help!

We went through this two months ago here in Connecticut.

1) You can get up to 2 standard converters for free.
2) The in the clear QAM will still work
3) If you want but you will be watching the same thing on both sets.
4) Yup got a handful which were not available on Analog, but not too many...

Thanks a lot for the info. I have 2 more questions though before I have Comcast ship me the boxes. Does the box require its own remote to operate or do I still use my TV's tuner? Is it a passive or powered box?

They each have their own remote and need to be plugged in.
Yuck... just what I need, another remote. I guess I will just do without for now!

Another issue though is that I noticed the analog channels they are cutting off are also unavailable on my TiVo box with a CableCARD. Shouldn't I be able to receive them through my TiVo?

Last edited:
Yuck... just what I need, another remote. I guess I will just do without for now!

Another issue though is that I noticed the analog channels they are cutting off are also unavailable on my TiVo box with a CableCARD. Shouldn't I be able to receive them through my TiVo?

What is your programming level? The cablecard should give you the same level of service you get with the adapter.

A possibility is that Comcast has moved the channels up into the next higher tier of service. Best to call them and find out. You might find that the cablecards are not set to the right level of service.

BTW, why not just accept the 2 boxes? They don't cost anything, and you can choose to not use them. But you would at least have a lot of your questions answered.

Last edited:

The remotes also run your TV, so it's just a replacement.

What's with peoples' fear of change???? :confused:

jayn_j said:
What is your programming level? The cablecard should give you the same level of service you get with the adapter.

I have Digital Economy, which should include several of the missing channels. I'm actually missing all but 4 or 5 channels under 100. After speaking with both Comcast and TiVo support, I have a technician coming out next week to re-pair my cable card. Let the nightmare begin!

yaz96 said:
The remotes also run your TV, so it's just a replacement.

What's with peoples' fear of change???? :confused:
It's not that. Comcast is just a secondary provider for me (I get most of my programming through Dish Network), so I don't want to add more boxes/remotes on top of what I already have. Most of what I watch on cable is my QAM locals, so it isn't worth the inconvenience of adding boxes to receive some more analog channels that I already get on Dish Network. Plus My girlfriend is already confused enough about which remote operates which box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)