Status
Please reply by conversation.

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
After over a month of delays, I put the big dish up and have locked on 95 and 97, my southern most sats. I'm going to be without a positioner for a few more weeks and would like to lock down on one satellite until I can get the thing motoring. I think I have pretty good range to hit much of the arc, +/- 30 from 97w, so anything within that band should be do-able. I'm using a 12V battery to make the movements now until I can get the positioner installed and going.

Which satellite, if you had to choose, would you lock on for say a month or so duration? For example, I'm looking at 105w for NASA HD.

Which is your favorite one C-band satellite?

For example, on ku, 125W is my favorite and I would lock down there if I had to make the choice.

Thanks!

With over 2000 posts I am somewhat surprised by your question? I suppose it depends on what satellite receiver you are using? Is it DVB S2 capable? High Def?

personally, I bounce between 91W and 101W a lot. But I spend a lot of time on 101W which has THISTV and METV on it in addition to the many ION channels both standard and High Def. 91W has REELZ and CW east West and everything in between. Once in a great while ( like now) there are some open $ channels, but we cannot count on them.

ku, 125W is my favorite and I would lock down there if I had to make the choice
so I'm assuming S2 HD capable. 107 might be worthwhile.
(I'd have to get a second battery and hook up as 24v. Then a DPDT center off switch to run it 83 to 111 at least.)

My cband dish stays on 103 most of the time

Sent from my DROID using SatelliteGuys

Phone sent to fast........anyway if not on 103, 91 or 101.

Sent from my DROID using SatelliteGuys

Myself, I like 87W for the weathernation and Retro channels. Now since I can't getRetro on the Ku dish, I watch them on the C-band side.

With over 2000 posts I am somewhat surprised by your question? I suppose it depends on what satellite receiver you are using? Is it DVB S2 capable? High Def?

personally, I bounce between 91W and 101W a lot. But I spend a lot of time on 101W which has THISTV and METV on it in addition to the many ION channels both standard and High Def. 91W has REELZ and CW east West and everything in between. Once in a great while ( like now) there are some open $ channels, but we cannot count on them.

Well, over 2k post doesn't mean much I guess, at least in my case! :) I'm not very familiar with much of the programming on the big dish,

I have a microHD and have only recently jumped into FTA.

I park mine on 101w for Metv and Thistv. But 87W with the RTV feeds and others would also be good...

You need at least a 10ft dish for either of these sats. Don't even bother with anything much smaller

99.2w and 101w C Band seem to be a great place to sit. If you have a 6' or 8', you might be able to park it inbetween and get both. I sometimes do that, so I get the 99w MUX, along with MeTV and THIS.

so I'm assuming S2 HD capable. 107 might be worthwhile.
(I'd have to get a second battery and hook up as 24v. Then a DPDT center off switch to run it 83 to 111 at least.)

th_4-4-2012005.jpg

th_4-4-2012002.jpg

001.jpg

This is what I had before I got the V-box.

Last edited:
Well, I had the dish parked at 105w and it was off just enough to catch MeTV off 101w. This sat good for about... two days! I received some sprinkler wire from the UPS man today so I went out and got the motorizor motoring between 72w and 137w.

In a short few hours tonight, I've come to the following recommendations;

131w for Outside TV HD, good looking from what I saw tonight on the mountain flying show.
107.3w for CTV HD
105W for NBC and NASA HD
103W for PBS and the ION family
101W for MeTV and THIS TV
99W for eScapes, FOX and ABC HD feeds

The rest I'm still getting to, as it's fairly overwhelming!

Your getting there! The wife watches NBC on 105 and 99.2 all the time.

Probably 91W for me, since my fav shows lately are the King of Queens, the Steve Wilkos Show, Cheers, and Becker. I used to flip thru channels a lot. But lately I haven't been doing that as much. And the fact I never watched King of Queens when it was originally airing, these then are like brand new to me, even tho they're probably reruns to everyone else.

One of the stationary 8' dishes I have is parked on 99w but with two more LNBFs it gets 91 (C/Ku) and 107. The C/Ku LNBF is the 741 combo, works quite well with no moving parts. Without the scaler rings you should be able to get 4 degree spacing.
Very difficult to choose between satellites, they all have programming one would hate to miss out on...

me personally (and this is contingent on the signal of one of the muxes)

137W
Luken Mux (the west coast feeds)
Alaska mux (contingent on signal quality...seemed to be low lately)

and bleedover to 139W with all the radio networks out there

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts