If you want a Panny plasma, you better budget it by 2014...

OLED is always talked about and it always sounds promising, yet there are no affordable sets with it and probably won't be for years at the rate it is going.

So now we have Plasma's death knell being sounded, DLP has already died as Mitsi dropped them.

Where do we find our next affordable TV with more than 65" screens?

I'm hoping something comes down the pike before I get ready to get a new TV, but unless OLED actually starts shipping at decent prices, I'll just hope my Mitsi DLP holds up.

And I just would not buy a 65" side lit LED LCD, aint gonna happen. I have the VT50, 3 year warranty, and the 2013 sets are marginal improvements with 2014 looking like it could be just closing out the 2013 models. So anyone has time to grab something, Im just gonna sit on the VT50 and see what happens I guess.

Im going to be watching closely for the Sony/Panny OLEDS and how they do. Expect 2013 OLEDs to be $8-10k, so realistically they could be decent pricing by '15/'16.

Where do we find our next affordable TV with more than 65" screens?
Front projector! ;)
Once I tasted how spectacular HD looks at 110" there is no going back for me. The FP has been my primary TV set for the past 2.5 years.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Thats what Im thinking. By the time we get our house built, my VT50 should still be kicking, and I should just plan a nice projection setup.

Wouldn't give up my front projector, but I also wouldn't give up my plasma. Different animals for different purposes.

The FP is for when you want to watch a movie. Full experience, no distractions.

The plasma is for when you have some sitcom on while eating dinner, or doing some project. We probably use the plasma more than the projector, because lots of viewing is casual. It is also the set we have connected to the antenna and TIVO. The FP and theater doesn't even have an OTA tuner installed.

Wouldn't give up my front projector, but I also wouldn't give up my plasma. Different animals for different purposes.

The FP is for when you want to watch a movie. Full experience, no distractions.

The plasma is for when you have some sitcom on while eating dinner, or doing some project. We probably use the plasma more than the projector, because lots of viewing is casual. It is also the set we have connected to the antenna and TIVO. The FP and theater doesn't even have an OTA tuner installed.

This is 100% right. the FP cannot fill every need.

Breaking News-Panasonic To Continue Plasma TV Research and Development

This is becoming a joke. I still dont buy it at this point that they are around after 2014.

Link

So who do you believe, the Display VP or the Marketing VP? If its like my company, no way in hell do I believe the Marketing VP.

Panasonic to exit plasma TV panel business by end-March 2014

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/09/us-panasonic-plasmatv-idUSBRE99801720131009

(Reuters) - Japan's Panasonic Corp has decided to pull out of the plasma television panel business by the end of the current financial year in March 2014, sources familiar with the situation told Reuters on Wednesday.

Panasonic had been expected to exit the struggling business, although the move was sooner than some analysts had predicted. Several hundred employees in the plasma operation are expected to be deployed to other parts of the company, the sources said.

Just enough time to finish moving 2013 stock. I guess the 60 series are their last...

I was hoping for 4k plasma. I guess we will have to settle with LCD until OLED becomes affordable in a large screen.

I think there are some tech reasons with 4K plasma. Some thing this is yet another rumor, we will see at CES I guess. The way their production plans are, I figured we would have heard for sure of a plan further out, seems too quick. By March 2014 they could move most of the 2013 models however. Panasonic's WT600 65" 4K LCD is supposed to be nice, Im just not an LCD fan. Ill go hug my VT50 before I go to bed tonight.

Panasonic employee on another site is shrugging it off as BS, as he has done with the other articles like this over the past two years. I guess we will see soon as CES approaches. I was kinda hoping they'd at least have a 2014 and 2015 cycle. I love the VT50, but would consider getting a 70 or 80 if they make them to hold out until this 4K oled stuff shakes out.

The VT60 is not enough of an upgrade, but a 2014 or 2015 model would be nice.

Too bad if it's true. I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma that has worked reliably and well for 5 years and my dad has 2 Plasmas which I recommended due to the enhanced viewing angles.

I hope this isn't true. I have yet to see an LCD of any type that comes close to plasma. I too was hoping for a 4k plasma.

Well, the other side to the coin is that panasonic has quit R&D on plasma, or at least funding it. I mean that was all but said earlier. Could just be a 2014 model with very little changes from 2013, which is not a bad thing I mean the 2013's are great, with slightly better blacks than the already excellent 2012's. I guess we will know for sure in the next 2 months.

If there is a 2014 line, Ill probably grab a "V" series next fall at a good discount, like I did this one. If there isnt, Ill just be watching this VT50 until something comes along I can trust.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)