If you were buying your first KU band dish all over again...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

geekt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Florida
I've been wanting to get into FTA for a number of years, but have finally decided to make the plunge. I'm going to keep any threads I start to a finite topic though, and space them out, so a topic can be fully covered. :)

So, I'm wondering, if you were getting an FTA dish for the first time, knowing what you do about the satellites in the sky, and possibly looking to the future, what would you get for the KU band?

I've seen people suggest starting with a simple set dish of 30" or more, just to see if you'll like FTA. However, I wonder how many would want to continue with FTA if they could only access one bird without going to adjust the dish.

I've seen basic FTA starter kits that are pretty fairly priced, which include a motor, 30" or 36" dish (or larger), and LNB, with install kit. Unless you think installing a motor setup is a bit complex for a new user? Perhaps you would buy these separately though?

There is also the option of a multiple LNB setup. Adding an offset LNB is probably too much for someone new to the field, but there are pre-fab multi-LNB brackets, and eliptical dishes.

Of course, you could always go with a toroidal dish if you wanna jump in feet first. :p

Any special considerations you would make towards the LNB?

I've looked into it a bit and know that I don't likely want to start with a stationary system. Seems too much hassle just to upgrade later, and I'm interested in what I can see for feeds. I think I likely want to start with a motorized elliptical, with one or more LNB's. That way if I want to add more LNB's, it's easy, and I can space them for my most common setup, and still not be limited to set channels. If I was going to get a standard dish, I would want something larger than 36" on a motor mount, and would love a 1.2 meter...

you were getting an FTA dish for the first time, knowing what you do about the satellites in the sky, and possibly looking to the future, what would you get for the KU band?

:welcome - Warning: FTA can be addictive!

A quality 36" / 90cm dish would be the minimum for FTA. Anything smaller than 36" and you will quickly be wondering why you wasted your money.

If you are going to motorize, don't bother with mounting multiple LNBFs. Multiple LNBFs on a motorized dish probably wont see much use.

Dual output LNBFs will provide more flexibility if you plan on adding additional KU or a C-band dishes.

Invest in a quality LNBF that have been SatelliteGuys member tested. Don't be fooled by the marketing hype of low NR specs with rock bottom prices.

When I bought my Fortec 90 dish I only bought it because it was new. I wanted a "name brand" dish that was new. That was my mistake since the fortec is a cheaper metal than a winegard dish. I then picked up a no name metal dish that was smaller(76cm) and it got my channels than my fortec. Then like a fool I sold that dish thinking since the fortec is bigger I could get better quality on those channels. Little did I know is that the no name metal dish got more channels than the fortec cant. And the dish is hooked up in the same spot. But you live you learn, soon I will hook up my 1 meter channelmaster 84E dish. Also its best to go with a good receiver coolsat 5K can be bought for cheap. Also whats good is a pc with a usb or pci card

Thanks for the on topic comment SatAV. :p

I was mainly thinking about the multiple LNB's because of certain hot spots with a lot of birds all together that I might wanna flip through without waiting for a motor to re-aim. Perhaps in around the 90's?
I was thinking I could shop around, get a good deal with a LNB (or more) included, play around with it for a while, and possibly invest in a particularly nice one after I am decided. Possibly throw some of the originals in a box never to be heard from again after I get addicted. :p
I'm mainly taking this one step at a time though. I wanted to get you guy's opinions on what YOU would get for a first dish, and do more research into the LNB's, because I believe I am correct when I state that is the most important part of the dish setup.

To the others before you, I already planned on getting a receiver that supports HD. In particular I was making sure it supports MPEG-4, because I believe that is likely going to be what most things will switch to.

But I wanted to keep my first setup basic, preferably under $400... And then I'll switch the box to my bedroom when I want another, cause the one I think I want is overkill. :p

Edit: Cosmo, I don't plan on getting a PC with a PCI card any time soon. Maybe if I build a set top box.

Last edited:
bigger really IS better:

You can screw around with all the LNBs in the world, but if they're on a so-so dish, they'll suck.

- In our Hardware Review Department, go read the review of the Fortec 36" dish from a few years ago.
It may be marked 90cm, and is compared against the little brother 80cm version.
That's what a bigger dish will get you.

- most of the 80 and 90cm dishes are measured vertically. Their width is less.
Commercial dishes and the 1.2m dishes by our vendors are measured horizontally, and are taller than wide.

- I'd get a commercial 1.0m or possibly 1.2m Ku dish.
This 1.2m dish has a nice fine-adjust elevation screw.
1.0 meter commercial quality dishes are not so common.

- Install the dish on the ground, about chest-height without the motor.
Get acquainted with the receiver controls, LNB setup, scanning, et al.
Spend a few weeks on one or several birds, getting confidence and an education!

- only after you've read all about motor install and tracking, and have a few weeks of fixed-dish operation under your belt, THEN install the motor.
Again, do it at ground level because you WILL be fiddling with it a LOT!

- the larger dish and heavier weight would require a robust motor, and there is really only one I know of: DG-380.
I think it out-muscles the STAB H-120

Last word:
- don't ask a serious question about Ku dishes and then suggest putting a C-band LNB on one. - :rolleyes:

if you are talking about dishes only and not about receivers....trust me when i say this....you DO NOT want a dish smaller than 36 inches!!!....if you get anything smaller you will be disappointed with the signal quality and you will be replacing that dish with a bigger one within a few months....36 MINIMUM!!!....if your space and budget permits more, then go with a 39 inch or even 1.2 meter....the first dish i bought was a 36 incher and even at that i really wished i went a bit bigger....

So, I'm wondering, if you were getting an FTA dish for the first time, knowing what you do about the satellites in the sky, and possibly looking to the future, what would you get for the KU band?

If I knew as much about FTA now as I did then when I started I would have bought that 5 bedroom "slight fixer upper" house about 8 miles away with the awesome southern view and the huge back yard so I could plant a 1/2 dozen or more poles and have a system that would rival the cable company instead of my townhouse with no access to plant it in the yard

but honestly I would have got a 36" or 39" dish for KU. My 1st setup was a fixed 30" dish, a dual LNB and the crappiest receiver out there...the Viacast 2000. Paid 60 for it and it is uber basic....check the review area for Viacast 2000 ;)
HD wasnt really available then

I wouldn't BUY a C-band LNB for something as small as a 1.2 meter. If I got one free though, I might try it. :p Just to see what I could get. I've seen people talk about getting C-band on 1.2's, but I don't think it's worth the money to get an LNB just to see if I pick anything up.

Back on the subject.

I honestly don't even want just a 36". 36" would be the bare minimum from what I've seen in my research, as you just said. :p I would prefer something 39" or larger. Which is why I said larger than 36" in my OP.

If I got a fixed dish though, I would have to put it on an Iceberg. :p Table with sandbags...and a chain, cause I don't trust neighbors. :p It would also have to have more than just a single LNB. This isn't just about watching TV for me. I'm curious. I wanna play with it! XD

I'm not too worried about installing it though, except the weight.

If I'm going outta my budget though, preferably not much more than $500...because it's just a starter system...it would be primarily for durability of the dish, not just signal strength. I will likely eventually replace every piece of this system, if I really get into FTA, so I shouldn't overspend on my first venture in. But I can reuse the dish to years...if it's not a cheapie that bends itself in two the first time we get a tropical storm.

Toroidal have the advantage of no delay switching sats. Also, you can use multi output lnbs and 2 or more tuners and any tuner can go to any sat. With a rotor, all tuners are confined to the sat selected by the tuner controlling the motor.

On the other hand, it would take 3 toroidal's to cover the range of 1 rotor and the rotor would likely be cheaper then 1 toroidal. However, rotors are SLOW. They take upwards of a minute to travel full arc.

...I've seen basic FTA starter kits that are pretty fairly priced, which include a motor, 30" or 36" dish (or larger), and LNB, with install kit. Unless you think installing a motor setup is a bit complex for a new user? Perhaps you would buy these separately though?...

I bought one of those "ChinaMaster" 39" motorized packages on Ebay and it was the worst transaction I ever had!!! :(

If I had to do it over...

I would slash the budget and go cheaper and better. There are a lot of Primestar dishes in my area. I would start with one of those and motorize it later after playing with it stationary for a while. I thought that I bought a Invacom lnbf with the package deal but the seller sent a "monster" clone. After the headaches of the package getting lost, the dish getting damaged, the wrong lnbf, etc., etc. - I finally did get what I wanted after almost a year! I would not buy another quad Invacom either. I only use the linear side and it was too much money for what I use it for. The Primestar lnbf's are great for FTA and the price is right.

With a $500 budget and a free Primestar dish, there would money for a HD motor and a good chunka change left to put towards a receiver like a AZBox! ;)

Vorg
when you move across the arc pick a H transponder...dish moves way faster ;)
(it sends 18v versus 13v for a vertical channel)

something to look up:

when you move across the arc pick a H transponder...dish moves way faster ;)
(it sends 18v versus 13v for a vertical channel)
Absolutely, but if that's difficult to manage, we've discussed 18-20 volt motor mods over the years.
I don't have time to do the search right now, but I think Pendragon brought it up and attacked the problem, in the last year or so.

edit:
Or was it Linuxman... :)

I've never even seen a Prime Star dish in person.

Occasionally see DirectTV dishes in the trash, that's about it. And those aren't really big enough. Best luck would be to get an old gas station sat.

edit: Forgot to mention, I didn't mean any of that crud from eBay...I was HUNTING for anything even remotely worth the money as far as dishes on there today...didn't find anything... Will consider other solutions on Monday.

Last edited:
Absolutely, but if that's difficult to manage, we've discussed 18-20 volt motor mods over the years.
I don't have time to do the search right now, but I think Pendragon brought it up and attacked the problem, in the last year or so.

edit:
Or was it Linuxman... :)

Exactly, I did the mod. A wall transformer with a LM7818 and some caps to to provide regulated 18v. I could have gone 20, but 18 is the highest normally sent up and I didn't know what the limit was for the motor. didn't want to burn it out. But does still move very slow. It's just too small a motor with a very high gearing.

I tested it the other day after going over it for backlash. It was pulling about 90ma with no dish and I found it had some play that could not be adjusted out. Opening it up, I found the worm gear was moving back and forth. The wedge they designed didn't do much for end play. However a small piece of bicycle innertube rubber was just right stuck end the end below the adjuster. Has no play now and still pulls ~90ma with no dish.

We have those wirlly vents on the roof and I have a pass through to the attic space near the dishes. Just inside is a outlet for the transformer.

Attachments

• DSCN0637.JPG
    DSCN0637.JPG
    511.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN0638.JPG
    DSCN0638.JPG
    487.8 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
You can pretty much figure out what the motor can handle as far as voltage by opening it up and measuring the gauge on the wire. Of course, that's not to say the insulation won't burn up or the motor won't get too hot when you use it too much. :p But I doubt many people are going around changing channels fast enough that it will be a problem.

On Topic: I would FIND Primestar dishes somewhere! Adjustable, well built, etc. EDIT } I drove over 150 miles one way to get some 75e and an 85e{.

My next choice is the GEOsat dish WITH the LNBF arms and the Pole braces. It can be made stable and is is rather adjustable. My experiance that the dish without the LNB arms was unstable, the arms did the trick.

I am one of the few that carry a dish in an RV, it did not prove sturdy enough for travel and constant setup. HOWEVER, for fixed use, no problems, even with 35 MPH winds.

The Glorystar Package (GOLD SPONSOR) is hard to beat for a starter system, has complete setup instructions for G19 @ 97W, but can be used for KU FTA.

HTH, POP

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts