17.2 KB · Views: 345
  • 97w.jpg
    97w.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 381
  • 3ABNon101.jpg
    3ABNon101.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 354
Interesting advancement with that micro azimuth adjust! - :up
I'm all for threaded rods or big screws to make finding birds easier.

So, you mount the circular in one half of the Y, but turn the Y upside down to use the linear LNB 'n mount?
That's really great!

Did ya ever consider using the Invacom QPH-031?
Then, you'd have Circular and Linear both, in one unit. ;)
Might be good for camping/tailgating.

There have been a number of threads and pictures on small dish reception.
Some of my favorites include:
- someone put a motor on a Dish 500 (don't have it bookmarked)
- McGuyver photo gallery - pix of Dish 500 with FTA LNB
- list of some other small-dish projects.

I recently proposed compiling a list of programming these little dishes could receive,
but the suggestion has never been well received. ;)
(I've brought it up more than once over the years)

Thats a neat project! Where'd you get the lnb bracket for the linear lnbf?
Did you try it out on Pentagon channel yet?

I thought I recognized that bracket.
Looked all over Sadoun, SatelliteAV, and the WSIdigital web sites, and didn't find anything close.
But, DMSI sells one, and here it is at one of their dealers.
Looks nice.
Of course, over the years, many of the members have come up with imaginative brackets too! ;)

Hi all, I was in the mood to make something and got inspired by the
interesting project Mikelib did a while back using a Dish 500 and a
neat mount. I decided to make one myself with my own twist, a micro
adjustable azimuth. One of my goals was to be able to watch NASA on
119W so I needed the original LNB. Went shopping on Craigslist and
found one nearby and got it cheap. I plan to use the NASA setup to
go watch a live shuttle launch from the Cape. Setting it up for
portable operations from the tailgate.

I was also hoping to be able to get some of the stronger
transponders on some of the linear satellites. Russia Today and Al
Jazeera English would be really neat to be able to get on a small
portable (camping) FTA setup.

The weather this morning when I wanted to test the setup was not
good with a think overcast so I started with the very strong 3ABN TP
on 101W to see if the thing would work at all and to try and fine
tune the rig. Well, I found 3ABN and was surprised and how strong it
was. Things were looking good so I moved over to 97W and was able to
get a lock on RT. That was so cool! The threshold for picture
breakup on my Mercury II is 28% quality and I was able to peak the
little dish for 35 to 40% on RT so it is solid. The micro
adjustments make it a snap to get the last little bit out of the
tiny dish. It turned out to be a fun project. Check out the
pictures.

BTW - if you want to check out Mikelib's post search for "Dish 500 Hispasat"
Congratulation, fine job, I use my 500 linear dish all the time, I can get good signals on 72W, 74W, 79W and sometimes 83W by only changing the azimuth. I have my dish mounted on board with a lazy susan bracket that I purchased at Home Depot. I'm always suprised at what good quality signal you can get on nice clear days and nights. I also use the dish for DXing, I go down by the bay and try to lock in the low elevation sats to the east. So far 12W has eluded me, (got 8W&15W with an 18x20 dish) but I'm working on it. When I'm working in the garage, I set the dish out side and tune in the mux on 72W and I listen to the stock market or the politics. I have the back marked with setting for skew and elevation for different sats so I can change the setting fast, I'm the little human motor.

So, you mount the circular in one half of the Y, but turn the Y upside down to use the linear LNB 'n mount?
That's really great!

I recently proposed compiling a list of programming these little dishes could receive,
Anole, I have the Invacom QPH-031 mounted on my 500 dish.

I purchased one from megasat for around $8.

I thought I recognized that bracket.
Looked all over Sadoun, SatelliteAV, and the WSIdigital web sites, and didn't find anything close.
But, DMSI sells one, and here it is at one of their dealers.
Looks nice.
Of course, over the years, many of the members have come up with imaginative brackets too! ;)
I now use the bracket that you showed me, with counduit strap holders, I now have around three to four sets on the bench.

Anole, I have retired my DTV 18x20 dish for the 500 dish. I would like to retire the 500 dish and I need your opinion. What would be a better dish for my Dxing the DTV International elliptical dish or the new DTV KA/KU dish with the real cool AZ/EL mount? I also seen the training video on solidsignal. Or the DTV international elliptical dish with the KA/KU mount???

Don't mean to steal the thread once again Delta_Charlie great job, you will find that you will be using the dish alot.

Anole, I have retired my DTV 18x20 dish for the 500 dish. I would like to retire the 500 dish and I need your opinion. What would be a better dish for my Dxing the DTV International elliptical dish or the new DTV KA/KU dish with the real cool AZ/EL mount? I also seen the training video on solidsignal. Or the DTV international elliptical dish with the KA/KU mount???
Well bigger is always better. And in this case, I think the widest dish might be best.
Not sure about the heavy duty Ka-capable mount.
For tailgating or camping, it might be more bulk than you want to carry.
Guess, that's up to you. ;)
But, when I said above I was all for threaded screw adjustments, here's part of a conversation with JsatTV from a 2 years back.
He actually implemented that idea, too! :)

I'd favor a molded dish. They are reasonably light, and really tough.
Hold their shape pretty well, too.
But, that's my prejudice. Ya might come up with a good reason to go with a metal dish.

You'd also have to decide if a long focal length (where there's a better chance for two LNBs side by side) or a short focal length dish (compact for carrying) would be best.
What Delta Charlie chose (Dish 500) is the perfect fit for his requirements! ;)

That's really great!

Hi Anole, regarding the Y - I do not flip it over, it stays put. The original LNB uses just one little screw to pin it in place. All I do is remove the screw and pull the LNB out. Then the linear mount can be installed. I thought about setting the linear mount off set to the side of the original LNB but the Y is not flat in the spot the linear LNB would need to go and I thought I might gain a couple of points by putting the linear LNB in the center. So in the end I decided to keep it simple. I also wanted to keep the project as cheap as I could. The plywood and aluminum bracket came from scraps. The LNB is a DMS International (PN JSC321S) and the bracket came from hypermegasat. Both the LNB and bracket delivered to my front door for under $20. The whole setup needs to be cheap enough that I don't feel guilty about parking it in storage. If I put any expensive parts on it I would want to raid the dish and use the parts on another dish.

Regarding the list of channels that can be received by small Ku dishes - I think that is a great idea. Something that I have noticed when I compare the reception of the little dish to my 80 CM is I loose about 20 points on the signal quailty. So I need a TP that is showing a steady 55% Q on the 80 to have a chance of getting it on the little dish.

Take care, DC

Hi turbosat, the LNB and bracket came from hypermegasat. See my other reply to Anole for the PN.

I just motored my 80CM over to 103W and have the Pentagon channel on now. I checked the signal quality and see it is not very strong for me near Orlando Florida. I'm only getting about 40% Q on that TP so it does not look like that is a channel that will work on the little dish :(

The next satellite I want to try is 72W. The NBC MUX on that bird is strong. I'm seeing over 60 % Q with my 80CM so I think I can get it provided I can find LOS to it. I'm a tree hugger and have about 12 trees in a small city lot. The trees will NOT see a chain saw! Finding a slot will be a bit of a challenge but I think I may have a spot.

Take care, DC

I just motored my 80CM over to 103W and have the Pentagon channel on now. I checked the signal quality and see it is not very strong for me near Orlando Florida. I'm only getting about 40% Q on that TP so it does not look like that is a channel that will work on the little dish :(

103 has the oddball skew. Its off by 25 degrees the opposite way. The skew is what it would be if the dish was at 74W.

If you skew the 80cm properly Pentagon will boom.....is it possible on the smaller dish? I honestly dont know. I know 72 will work. I did that a while back

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/135926-amc6-18-dish.html

103 has the oddball skew. Its off by 25 degrees the opposite way. The skew is what it would be if the dish was at 74W.

If you skew the 80cm properly Pentagon will boom.....is it possible on the smaller dish? I honestly dont know. I know 72 will work. I did that a while back

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/135926-amc6-18-dish.html

Hi Iceberg, thanks for the heads up on the skew for 103W. While I do not want to change the skew on my motorized 80 CM dish as it would mess up all the other satellites I might have to try it on the little dish.

BTW - I just wanted to mention for anyone that might come across this thread the Dish 500 is not a 18 inch dish - it measures 20 1/2 x 22 inches. Those couple of inches might the difference between a solid lock and picture breakup on marginal transponders.

Take care, DC

I'd love to see a picture of a QPH-031 on an 18-20 inch dish. The poor little dish must be really straining under all of that size and weight! :D

Hi Iceberg, thanks for the heads up on the skew for 103W. While I do not want to change the skew on my motorized 80 CM dish as it would mess up all the other satellites
true. I thought it was a fixed dish

I might have to try it on the little dish.
have fun with it. Let us know how it works out :) I'd love to get Pentagon on a smaller dish. Sometimes on my setup with the skew being "wrong" on the motorized it will pixelate. Getting a fixed dish with it stable would help :)

Update - The Pentagon ch is doable on Dish 500

Hi all, just wanted to post an update. This morning I played around with the skew on the small dish and was able to get a lock on the Pentagon channel. I had a signal quality around 35% and that does not give much over picture breakup but it worked!

Ended up with the skew at zero like it would be for my due south sat.

After I was done with 103w and the Pentagon channel I moved the little dish over to 97w and peaked it for Russia Today which is on a horizontal TP. Then I tried to get Daystar that is on a vertical TP but the signal Q was below breakup. When I switched back to my 80CM dish I noticed Daystar is stronger then Russia Today. Not sure what to make of that. Why would there be a difference between V and H signal quality.

I think next time I have the small dish out I will try to peak it on the vertical TP for Daystar and see how it does.

Later, DC

this is interesting. Does anyone think it would be possible to get the 97w satellite on one of these things?

I found bunches of them in the tool shed, my X collected them like bottle tops or something. Maybe he had a fetish for the little dishes. LOL!! :p

I think I could manage to make one. Can you mount it on a pole like other dishes or is all that complicated wood stuff on the bottom required?
I am pretty sure I can do it if all you do is bolt a new lnb on the little dish and put it on a pole like other dishes. But I'm not about to attempt all that crazy wood stuff like in the example. :eek:

Thanks! :)

fline1.gif

this is interesting. Does anyone think it would be possible to get the 97w satellite on one of these things?

I found bunches of them in the tool shed, my X collected them like bottle tops or something. Maybe he had a fetish for the little dishes. LOL!! :p

I think I could manage to make one. Can you mount it on a pole like other dishes or is all that complicated wood stuff on the bottom required?
I am pretty sure I can do it if all you do is bolt a new lnb on the little dish and put it on a pole like other dishes. But I'm not about to attempt all that crazy wood stuff like in the example. :eek:

Thanks! :)

fline1.gif

Hi Dee_Ann, Yes some channels on 97w can be had with the little dish. Russia Today and Al Jazeera English are on TP 12150 on 97w and I can get them on the little dish. There is not a lot of margin on the signal quality so it would not take much weather to cause picture breakup but it does work at least when there is no rain around.

Yes the Dish 500 uses a standard mast size (1 5/8) and could be mounted on a poll. You will need to peak every last little bit out of the dish and my custom mount helps with the peaking but I'm sure I could get it to work on a poll too.

A word about used dishes - make sure you check the dish for any damage or warping. Because you will need to get every last bit of gain out of the little dish any damage will likely cause picture breakup. When I went to pickup the dish above the seller had two and I checked them - one was out of true so I passed on it.

Let me know if you need the measurement for the mounting of the LNB bracket. That is really the only tricky part and must be right on the mark.

Take care, DC

Dee -

Kinda like the talking dog: you don't complain about his accent... :)

If you have some of the larger SuperDish, or DirecTV dishes, that are 30 inches wide or more, the task will be the same, and you'll have more operating margin.
That means easier to find the signal, and more chance you'll keep it during bad weather.
Or, another of those DirecWay elliptical dishes, if ya got some (well, they take a bigger pole).
Dig around and show us what 'cha got. - :up

Took it for a test dirve, very easy and quick setup.

Hi all, I took the little dish for a test drive this morning. I parked the truck and set it up on the roof. The leveling eye bolts made real quick work out of finding 97W. I simply level the base board then loosen the bolts on the dish clamp for a quick azimuth move then as soon as I get a signal I can fine tune with the eye bolts.

Here are some pictures of the tailgate setup.

Later, DC

Attachments

• pic080106 017.jpg
    pic080106 017.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 195
  • pic080106 018.jpg
    pic080106 018.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 193
  • pic080106 019.jpg
    pic080106 019.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 214
Sweet, that truck has radar! ;) Nice looking setup for little dish action.

Regarding Smith,P.'s question about micro-adjusting elevation, can the threaded feet be used to tweak elevation a bit more finely than the dish adjustment allows? I know it bumps it out of level but might help on a tough transponder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)