Incentive Auction Discussion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I only have two stations in my DMA that'll have to move: WBSF (46) and WAQP (48).
You're assuming that you're in a TV vacuum and that may cause you heartburn. Michigan appears to have several markets that aren't all that geographically or topographically separated.

Well I guess now we find out what we keep, what we lose, what we crunch together....
Now we study the FCC's 10 phase plan for channel loss based on the Phase Assignment Tool an Phase Scheduling Tool software programs.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-1095A1.pdf

I think this pdf may have been referenced previously in this thread. It is also important to note that the pdf represents a call for comments as opposed to a finished plan.

The goals are laudable, but the physics perhaps remains to be answered.

Well good day everyone I red some where the big Broadcasting stashions 37/to50 if they didn't sell their channels that they will stay where they are and that they say their is not enough tower men crew to handle the big work load so good luck with that one I think of what I have Read the FCC has fell behind and don't even no it yet I think we will see a lot of court happening soon I think it is going to get pretty messey and a long time to sort this big mess out
Well everyone have a good day

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Now we study the FCC's 10 phase plan for channel loss based on the Phase Assignment Tool an Phase Scheduling Tool software programs.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-1095A1.pdf

I think this pdf may have been referenced previously in this thread. It is also important to note that the pdf represents a call for comments as opposed to a finished plan.

The goals are laudable, but the physics perhaps remains to be answered.
thanks....I will read up on it

Well good day everyone I red some where the big Broadcasting stashions 37/to50 if they didn't sell their channels that they will stay where they are and that they say their is not enough tower men crew to handle the big work load so good luck with that one I think of what I have Read the FCC has fell behind and don't even no it yet I think we will see a lot of court happening soon I think it is going to get pretty messey and a long time to sort this big mess out
Your period key doesn't seem to be working :(

You may have read that the NAB contracted to have that study done. Of course the NAB is all about pushing the gubmint around (aka "lobbying") and anything they say must be interpreted with that in mind.

Reactions: yomama
In the Baltimore market, there are 5 stations assigned frequencies above 36.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_Maryland
Channel 2(ABC) - 38
Channel 22(PBS) - 42
Channel 24(MNT) - 41
Channel 45(Fox) - 46
Channel 54(CW) - 40

There are also two stations in Western MD and one on the Eastern Shore of MD that are above 36.
It looks like Maryland TV stations are in for a major upheaval, especially the two major network channels.

the one local above 36 on the eastern shore has 3 substations, wonder how they will be affected

It looks like Maryland TV stations are in for a major upheaval, especially the two major network channels.
What other nearby markets are competing for frequencies (perhaps Philly or DC)? Radio frequencies, like DMA designations don't typically obey political boundaries.

What other nearby markets are competing for frequencies (perhaps Philly or DC)? Radio frequencies, like DMA designations don't typically obey political boundaries.
Both Philly and DC overlap the Baltimore market.

Like Fox's CBS NBC they did not sell out so to spend big money to move to lower channel's i don't think so think about it that's how they stopped the FCC and all the rest from stealing TV signals for you and me to receive ????

In the Baltimore market, there are 5 stations assigned frequencies above 36.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_Maryland
Channel 2(ABC) - 38
Channel 22(PBS) - 42
Channel 24(MNT) - 41
Channel 45(Fox) - 46
Channel 54(CW) - 40

There are also two stations in Western MD and one on the Eastern Shore of MD that are above 36.
Your in the same boat as the New Orleans area

Both Philly and DC overlap the Baltimore market.
That being the case, most of those stations will have to share the same 35 channel pool. Even if you can't currently receive them, they can still interfere if they're using the same frequency.

kinda both
I submit (again) that it is very important that we be very precise with our terminology. Squishy or misapplied terms can cause confusion and lead to misunderstanding something that will likely be pretty important going forward.

Substation is a term that doesn't apply in radio broadcast. It is certainly valid in electricity where the product travels over wires but in the radio world it is called a translator because the relayed frequency must be different from the original frequency.

kinda both
sub channel 47-1, 47-2, 47-3
was confusing it with 16 that also has fox 21, same news diff programs. diff stations

I submit (again) that it is very important that we be very precise with our terminology. Squishy or misapplied terms can cause confusion and lead to misunderstanding something that will likely be pretty important going forward.

Substation is a term that doesn't apply in radio broadcast. It is certainly valid in electricity where the product travels over wires but in the radio world it is called a translator because the relayed frequency must be different from the original frequency.
Yeah ....

Also just like the "sub-channels" would accurately refer only to 47-2 and 47-3. Not the main or "primary" channel of 47-1.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Also just like the "sub-channels" would accurately refer only to 47-2 and 47-3. Not the main or "primary" channel of 47-1.
It is probably bad form to declare some channels subordinate as they all come through as one stream even though there could be a 47.1 and a 26.1 on the same frequency. The parent and child thing isn't really valid if there are multiple flagship channels; this situation already exists in markets where the two 720p "Big Four" feeds share a frequency.

It is probably bad form to declare some channels subordinate as they all come through as one stream even though there could be a 47.1 and a 26.1 on the same frequency. The parent and child thing isn't really valid if there are multiple flagship channels; this situation already exists in markets where the two 720p "Big Four" feeds share a frequency.

It's true. Even in some major markets, such as Boston.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts