Incentive Auction Discussion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There's no data on how ATSC 3.0 works on low-VHF at this point, and any digital standard is likely to be significantly less reliable than analog radio is today.
Yet it is being lobbied hard as the solution to all our needs and seems to be the only path offered to fit in a repacked spectrum where 18% of the channels may be VHF-low.

Yet it is being lobbied hard as the solution to all our needs and seems to be the only path offered to fit in a repacked spectrum where 18% of the channels may be VHF-low.
Vhf low sucks, vhf sucks period. I was told that if WBRZ, WAFB, KPLC were all in the UHF I could get them easy eventhough I'm ouside thw transmitter distance

Somebody don't know what they are talking about.
What's not to know, I have a seperate uhf antenna, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. It's self explanatory if WBRZ and WAFB were in the UHF I could get them easy. I have a 8 bay uhf and get KALB and WVLA easy because their virtual numbers are in the uhf bandwith, Right, yeah Right. How hard is that to figure out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nascarken 91xg
What's not to know, I have a seperate uhf antenna, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.
How does the fact that you're using a UHF antenna and having trouble receiving high VHF make the VHF band inherently inferior? That's like saying water is bad because it isn't trapped by a sieve.

Virtual channel numbers have nothing to do with the frequency.

What I don't understand is how someone thinks they can receive something easily, when they are out of range.

Reactions: . Raine
How does the fact that you're using a UHF antenna and having trouble receiving high VHF make the VHF band inherently inferior? That's like saying water is bad because it isn't trapped by a sieve.

Virtual channel numbers have nothing to do with the frequency.
I'm saying if those channels were in the uhf band I would be able to get them. KPLC is vhf if it were digital channel 26 I could get it alot easier on the uhf antenna like I can KALB 5 NBC which is digital 35. Does that make better sense

I meant digital, my mistake
I find that using the designation "RF" precludes confusion between real and virtual channel numbers. To me, digital ascribes PSIP which gives the virtual channel number. For its part, tvfool.com uses "Real" and "Virt". antennaweb.org uses the term "RF channel". rabbitears.info uses "RF Ch." and "V. Ch." to pretty well eliminate confusion.

(Ever noticed how digital satellite radio sounds better than FM?)
Boy, my ears respectively disagree with your ears. Sirius in my vehicles sounds like they send it through a tin can. Horrid! Now, my one local FM station that uses HD Radio decided to go with sub channels instead of high quality audio, so it sounds a little tinny when they're playing music.

If Sirius sounded any good at all, I would have paid the $10/mo, but I'm better off subscribing to Pandora or ?Music and streaming through my phone.

On the subject of auctioning off the spectrum, our DMA is FBG. Some time ago our ABC affiliate switched over to the newly-formed Fox Network. The #85 DMA was missing one of the Big Three TV Networks. Eventually, a Chicago broadcaster fired up three Low Power TV stations to broadcast ABC, UPN (now CW), and the hodgepodge channel that is now MyTV. Those LPs eventually switched to Digital LPs and they will be leaving the air when this repacking is done. Our other digitals will need to move around as most are over channel 34 (35, 42, 46, etc.) so it will be fun in the coming years.

Reactions: KE4EST
We have 3 VHF-HI channels and no problems with reception if you use the proper antenna and are not at the fringes of the huge dma Tulsa claims.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

We have 3 VHF-HI channels and no problems with reception if you use the proper antenna and are not at the fringes of the huge dma Tulsa claims.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I actually have 1 vhf here in Lafayette KLFY and the Transmitter is sitting basically in my face and for some strange reason it keeps going out a lot lately. Yeah I'm at the fringe on KPLC 7, WAFB 9, WBRZ 2. I'm on the fringe in 3 markets. Baton Rouge, LC, Alexandria. The NBC 5 in Alexandria I get good because it runs off the 8 bay UHF. Depends on where you live makes the difference, I guess

Have you tried a good full-range antenna or are you just assuming VHF is bad from what you've been told?
I have an rca 3038 vhf hi. The yagi is pointed at the 283rd degree which is dead on with KPLC's transmitter 45 miles down the road. So I get that one that way. I cant get wafb and wbrz because the other side of the vhf isn't capable of getting it. If for example WBRZ and WAFB digital channels were 29 and 40, I could catch them easy through the 8 bay, that was what I was explaining in that reply. According to a reply from Iceburg, I can actually disconnect the vhf antenna and use the 8 bay and get all Lafayette channels and any channel over 14 easy, if you'd like to read it, check the topic this is so awesome and or Lafayette getting new NBC affiliate, if KATC gets the right subchannels soon that will happen and I'll keep the vhf on standby in a safe place.

I find that using the designation "RF" precludes confusion between real and virtual channel numbers. To me, digital ascribes PSIP which gives the virtual channel number. For its part, tvfool.com uses "Real" and "Virt". antennaweb.org uses the term "RF channel". rabbitears.info uses "RF Ch." and "V. Ch." to pretty well eliminate confusion.
Yes I know that already, iceberg showed me the difference last year.
KATC virtu is 3 and real is 28. Which is good because from 72 miles away I would be on the fringe but can get it on the uhf antenna. I'm good I already know the difference

Boy, my ears respectively disagree with your ears. Sirius in my vehicles sounds like they send it through a tin can. Horrid! Now, my one local FM station that uses HD Radio decided to go with sub channels instead of high quality audio, so it sounds a little tinny when they're playing music.

If Sirius sounded any good at all, I would have paid the $10/mo, but I'm better off subscribing to Pandora or ?Music and streaming through my phone.

Hmm. Well, I've never subbed to satellite radio and it's been awhile since I've heard it, so maybe I've misremembered what it sounds like. I should have compared the sound quality of another type of digital music "broadcast" like Pandora streaming radio which I've used a lot and definitely does sound better to me than analog FM radio. As long as you have a decent bitrate (which public broadcast airwaves could easily provide), digital music is going to sound better -- none of the hiss, static or crackle of analog radio.

Anyhow, I admit I've veered off on a bit of a rabbit trail by getting onto radio rather than TV on this thread, ha!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts