Incredibly Slow PS3 Downloads

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
I have a 360 and a PS3 (Check the sig! :p ). Anyways I've noticed that while my 360 seems to fully utilize my internet connection, the PS3 seems to think that I have an ISDN connection. Downloads are INCREDIBLY slow, and I have a ~10Mbit cable connection. Does anyone else experience or have experienced slow downloads with the PS3 versus the 360 or Wii?

I noticed it too over the weekend. I downloaded a 1.6GB demo and it took forever. I didn't time it, but I'm guessing at least 1 1/2 hrs to download. Always been like this? Hell a lot slower than the 360.

For me it's been EVERYTHING ever since I got my PS3. I don't even like downloading demos and stuff for the PS3 because they take so long. I can probably get them in at least half the time on my 360. I downloaded the Bionic Commando demo for the 360 which I think was ~350 Megs and that took MAYBE 5 minutes. I also don't like how I can't download stuff on the PS3 when the system is powered down, versus the 360 which will continue to download even when you shut it off.

That's always something I wondered about myself with the PS3. I have a 10Mbs download service, but it takes a couple hours or more to download a 1 Gb demo. I also downloaded the new Ratchet and Clank game, and can't tell you how long it took since I set it to download before leaving the house for the afternoon, knowing it would probably take 3-4 hours to download 2.4 Gb. The nice thing is, the PS3 allows you to do other things iwhile downloading in the background, except download another game of course. ;)

I also downloaded the new Ratchet and Clank game, and can't tell you how long it took since I set it to download before leaving the house for the afternoon, knowing it would probably take 3-4 hours to download 2.4 Gb.

It took longer than it should have, but it wasn't as long as yours. Mine was probably 30 minutes max.

When you play online is the connection OK?

Yes it is.

How is it setup is the PS3 wireless and the 360 wired? That's how I have mine setup and it takes the PS3 forever to download demos.

How is it setup is the PS3 wireless and the 360 wired? That's how I have mine setup and it takes the PS3 forever to download demos.
Both are Wireless. I opened up ports to the PS3 network and even that didn't seem to do anything. Even web browsing can have issues as well, especially on Youtube, but I don't know if that's more a result of the PS3 browser or the internet connection itself. I don't play games online, so I can't use that as a comparison (I only own MGS4 and won't delve into that online until I beat the game.)

Is it possible you guys do not have your routers configured properly? You could have a 100meg connection, but you network is only as strong as your weakest link. If your router is not configured properly, or is an old protocol, that could be affecting your through put. Here is a blurb on electrical signal noise affecting throughput: SpeedGuide.net :: Router speed drop solved, could that be an issue? There are a whole myriad of possibles issues that are unrelated to the PS3.

I have a 5 meg Internet Connection, and do not think that I have ever had to wait more than 5 min ever for a 900meg-1gig download.

Are you able to stream video and media to your PS3 from your home computer without any issues? If not, then your internet has nothing to do with it and it is a router/setup related issue.

ETA: I have the 40gb SKU

Last edited:
I'm using wireless, but don't play online. I wonder if there are issues with wireless capabilities in the 40GB model, or the runs across all PS3 SKU. I also make sure I'm not taxing bandwidth by using the internet connection on other computers in the house at the time.

Is it possible you guys do not have your routers configured properly? You could have a 100meg connection, but you network is only as strong as your weakest link. If your router is not configured properly, or is an old protocol, that could be affecting your through put. Here is a blurb on electrical signal noise affecting throughput: SpeedGuide.net :: Router speed drop solved, could that be an issue? There are a whole myriad of possibles issues that are unrelated to the PS3.

I have a 5 meg Internet Connection, and do not think that I have ever had to wait more than 5 min ever for a 900meg-1gig download.

Are you able to stream video and media to your PS3 from your home computer without any issues? If not, then your internet has nothing to do with it and it is a router/setup related issue.

Thanks for the tip! I've successfully streamed music without any problem. I'll experiment with video, which would use more bandwidth I assume, to see what happens.

I don't think it's an interference issue, because the PS3 is right near my 360, and the 360 downloads stuff at great speeds. there also isn't much between the router and the PS3. Quite frankly, I could just string a long Ethernet wire across the hall, but that's a tripping hazard and just doesn't look good, especially since we're going to be having house "showings" and I know at least once or twice that is going to be forgotten in the frenzy. ;p I think I accidentally threw away my really long cable that I could use for testing (and that I would use for VOD for my DirecTV, at least before I moved THAT as well..) I think I need to investigate the wired/wireless thing to better isolate the problem.

As far as streaming media goes, I've only watched like 1 or 2 things streamed via TVersity and they were fine.

I don't think it's an interference issue, because the PS3 is right near my 360, and the 360 downloads stuff at great speeds. there also isn't much between the router and the PS3. Quite frankly, I could just string a long Ethernet wire across the hall, but that's a tripping hazard and just doesn't look good, especially since we're going to be having house "showings" and I know at least once or twice that is going to be forgotten in the frenzy. ;p I think I accidentally threw away my really long cable that I could use for testing (and that I would use for VOD for my DirecTV, at least before I moved THAT as well..) I think I need to investigate the wired/wireless thing to better isolate the problem.

As far as streaming media goes, I've only watched like 1 or 2 things streamed via TVersity and they were fine.

Is there anything near your router such as a broadband modem? Some routers and software have issues with Vista. MS has set up a Windows Help website that will run a diagnostic for you. Also, are you using WPA encryption? Did you try swapping your network to WEP to see if that changes anything?

I haven't tried online gaming with the PS3 yet. PS3 and 2 360s are all wireless.
Never had an issue with the 360s. Maybe it's the Sony servers themselves, when downloading?

I've randomly looked at downloads on my laptop and my PS3 (both on wireless) and the speeds seem to be nearly identical.

I don't have a 360 to compare it to, but I don't seem to have any PS3-specific issues - I can get a 1 GB download in around 15-20 minutes on my 6.0Mbps DSL. I have a 60GB model, circa Jan. 07.

Is there anything near your router such as a broadband modem? Some routers and software have issues with Vista. MS has set up a Windows Help website that will run a diagnostic for you. Also, are you using WPA encryption? Did you try swapping your network to WEP to see if that changes anything?
The modem is nearby, about 3-4 feet away. I have vista and XP but I primarily use XP. I use WPA encryption because when I originally set up the network, on my laptop for whatever reason I could NOT get WEP encryption to work correctly, so I went to WPA-PSK and that fixed it. I might consider changing the encryption as a last resort, as I have to change 4+ other systems/computers and test them as well if I do that.

I have my PS3 Wireless (My router is next to my PS3) I get 9.6Mbps (My connection is 10Mbps with U-Verse) and no problems download/playing games online.
My 360 is hard wired, no problems there either.
could possibly be the network settings with your router, give the PS3 priority, that could help.