Incredibly Slow PS3 Downloads

I have them both connected directly to my DLS Router. I tried a couple of times to download the Ps3 updates and man took forever before I cancelled the download. I always use my PC for that. Last demo I tried was Haze, same experience, it took hours. heck even the MGS4 update was a bummer. Online playing is working fine.

Compared to X360m my downloads are extremely fast.

I tried connecting directly to my router, and it didn't seem to make any difference. My speeds seem a little faster, but it's definitely not up there with the 360. You think it would help to DMZ the PS3, or is it not worth the risk?

I tried connecting directly to my router, and it didn't seem to make any difference. My speeds seem a little faster, but it's definitely not up there with the 360. You think it would help to DMZ the PS3, or is it not worth the risk?

I wouldn't bother. If you have already opened the ports to the PSN, DMZ isn't going to matter. It's probably a PSN issue.

Their network probably slow due to outage/routing issues possibly.
I'd check out the PS3 forums.

I've seen this too and have suspected it's the PSN site as well. Over the weekends I find it can be very sluggish, but on a week day mid-day it moves VERY fast. I don't think it's my Comcast connection as I consisently get fast speeds while the PSN downloads are occasionally sluggish. My PS3 goes direct to a gigabit switch, which my router running IPcop is connected directly to as well so no wireless here.

-Mike

I've seen this too and have suspected it's the PSN site as well. Over the weekends I find it can be very sluggish, but on a week day mid-day it moves VERY fast. I don't think it's my Comcast connection as I consisently get fast speeds while the PSN downloads are occasionally sluggish. My PS3 goes direct to a gigabit switch, which my router running IPcop is connected directly to as well so no wireless here.

-Mike

That would make a lot of sense in my case, as I have only ever downloaded games or demos on the weekend. Since I work from home, I'll try the mid-day, weekday thing to see if that help the slow speed issue. Thanks for the tip.

That would make a lot of sense in my case, as I have only ever downloaded games or demos on the weekend. Since I work from home, I'll try the mid-day, weekday thing to see if that help the slow speed issue. Thanks for the tip.
While I suppose it would be of some comfort to know that the problem isn't on my end, it still is discouraging to know that Sony's network isn't up for handling the traffic it has to. I've had XBL for years, and even at night or for very wanted updates, I don't think the speed has gone down as significantly as it has for PSN. I really hate this at night, because I like to watch stuff on Youtube on my big screen and I just give up because the load times are insufferable. I end up having to go on to my computer monitors.

I really don't know why M$ didn't include a web browser with the 360, or why they don't implement one. I mean they only own the most popular web browser in the world. You'd think they'd be able to engineer a version for their own system. Maybe they didn't want to deal with all the security issues.

running WEP on a wireless router is almost as bad as running no encryption.

Anyone with 1/2 a brain and a wireless card can crack WEP in minutes.
That was another reason why I did WPA. I read it was more secure, albeit a bit harder to maintain.

God.. I'm on with MGS4 and downloading the free songs, and these songs ranging from 6-12 megabytes are taking like a minute to download. This is like ISDN speeds.

I heard WPA is crackable also

Try WPA2 or if your router supports "WPA2 Enterprize"
Well technically everything is crackable. I don't think though that anyone in my area is trying to crack my network. Even if they are, they'll be dissapointed by what they find.

I heard WPA is crackable also

Try WPA2 or if your router supports "WPA2 Enterprize"

WPA with AES is miminum that is recommended. WPA2 is pretty much built on this. WPA2 is more than enough for home (preshared key). WPA2 Enterprise requires a trusted authentication server.

My GOD.. I'm downloading the BioShock Demo (for the sole purpose of seeing how such a game would look on my new Plasma) and this 1.4 GB demo will end up, on my 10 Megabit connection, will take over 4 hours to download...

My GOD.. I'm downloading the BioShock Demo (for the sole purpose of seeing how such a game would look on my new Plasma) and this 1.4 GB demo will end up, on my 10 Megabit connection, will take over 4 hours to download...

This is ridiculous. Sony really needs to address this. Looking forward to trying the Socom demo. Not looking forward to the download time.

This is ridiculous. Sony really needs to address this. Looking forward to trying the Socom demo. Not looking forward to the download time.
I can only imagine what it would have been like for me trying to download the LBP beta. Still kinda wish I had been able to get on that, but oh well.

What I fear is what it is going to be like for people trying to download HOME when that eventually arrives.