Indoor Antenna To Pickup OTA HDTV

drbill28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Althought we're only 6-12 miles from all towers. We had problems getting more than 1-2 channels with rabbit ears for analog channels when we moved in.

Now I have a little HDTV in my bedroom and need to pickup an antenna to pickup my locals. Our house is on the side of a rocky hill. Most of the stations are you guessed it, directly facing the hill. The house is about 30' from the hill. Only one station is in the clear air from me. In the other direction.

Is there an indoor antenna that will pick-up these stations? Or is it a pipe-dream to be able to get more than ABC if I pick it up. I can't use an outdoor as it's not my house.

drbill28 said:
Is there an indoor antenna that will pick-up these stations? Or is it a pipe-dream to be able to get more than ABC if I pick it up. I can't use an outdoor as it's not my house.

Can you use the attic? A directional antenna in the attic works much better than a set top antenna.

I'll see if I can. But I doubt it. I don't see how I could get the wire in here either. Not allowed to do squat pretty much.

If not, I'll try the one mentioned and if not, I should at least be able to pickup Monday Night Football in HD if anything.

YOU CAN HAVE AN OUTDOOR ANTENNA.

As a matter of public safety, federal regulations preclude landlords from preventing tennants erecting antennas to be able to receive OTA transmissions.
This is a very good description of the federal rules.

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=400

Even if you rent a house, there are ways to erect an antenna without any "damage" to the structure. I have a 36 ft. mast mounted on the ground next to my house. Its only attachment to my house is a small bracket with 4 screws near the peak, minimal impact.

I have a similar question. I bought a TV for my brother in Brooklyn. He lives right near the elevated train and around tall buildings. He has a small two story house. He wants to pick up HDTV and his VHF/UHF channels. I was told to get him a Winegard SS-3000 antenna. Is this the best solution or should I get him something else. He would prefer an antenna that is indoor and located near the TV. I don't think he is capable of setting up an antenna in the attic. He is not electronically inclined and I live too far away to help him.

Unfortunately the federal regulations don't apply to me. I don't rent, I'm just living with someone right now.

I think it might be worse than I thought. That's why I just borrowed someone's HDTV satellite receiver and tested using an el cheapo antenna for $13. I couldn't pull in anything at all in digital beside the public station (which is over the hill, I was suprised). Standard channels I got 3 of, channel 4 was the best but was still a little fuzzy. The rest wouldn't be worth viewing. Now if I went from this to the silver sensor or just put a DB2 somewhere around. Do you think I would get anything? I'm starting to worry I won't be able to see the Super Bowl in HD at all. I was suprised I couldn't pull in channel 4 HD even on that. I'm starting to get worried, the damn things are only 8-10 bloody miles away...

No one around here sells the Zenith Silver Sensor. I could get it on Amazon, but then reutrning it would be a pain.

Could you give me some ideas why this might be a better alternative than the Zenith Silver Sensor and the DB2? Both of which are cheaper. heh I have a hard time believing anything can pull in these stations even as close as they are.

Yes, I had looked it up, it didn't look too promising from the results. I mean, there is an airport about 3 miles from here (not a major airport). There's a big rocky hill almost touching the building, clear to the left, steel plants about 3 miles away. There's a huge GM plant about a mile and a half away. There's a hill in fron of us too. Personally except for the east, we're pretty blocked off right at this house.

Code:
DTV	Antenna	Type	Call Sign	Channel	Network	City		State	Live Date	Compass	Orientation	Miles From	Freq
	red - vhf	WTAE		4	ABC	PITTSBURGH	PA			146°			6.6		4
*	red - uhf	WTAE-DT		4.1	ABC	PITTSBURGH	PA			146°			6.6		51
	red - uhf	WPCB		40	FMN	GREENSBURG	PA			72°			6.3		40
*	red - uhf	WPCB-DT		50.1	FMN	GREENSBURG	PA			72°			6.3		50
	blue - vhf	WPXI		11	NBC	PITTSBURGH 	PA			330°			9.9		11
	blue - vhf	WQED		13	PBS	PITTSBURGH	PA			338°			7.7		13
	blue - uhf	WCWB		22	WB	PITTSBURGH	PA			64°			10.7		22
	blue - vhf	KDKA		2	CBS	PITTSBURGH 	PA			334°			12.0		2
	violet - uhf	W56CG		56	IND	GREENSBURG	PA			111°			15.7		56
	violet - uhf	WQVC-CA		28	BOX	GREENSBURG 	PA			110°			12.5		28
	violet - uhf	WQEX		16	HSN	PITTSBURGH	PA			338°			7.7		16
	violet - vhf	WJAC		6	NBC	JOHNSTOWN	PA			97°			47.7		6
	violet - vhf	WWCP		8	FOX	JOHNSTOWN	PA			115°			40.6		8
	violet - uhf	WPGH		53	FOX	PITTSBURGH	PA			337°			11.7		53
	violet - uhf	WNPA		19	UPN	JEANNETTE 	PA			116°			40.0		19
	violet - uhf	WNPB		24	PBS	MORGANTOWN	WV			180°			45.7		24

Last edited:
drbill28,
Check out your local Walmart for this antenna: PHDTV3
My towers are 7-14 miles like yours, but without the obstructions, and this antenna works fine for me. If it doesn't work for you, you can always return it.....

snaggerbob said:
The Zenith silver sensor is a very good indoor antenna. If it doesn't work you can take it back.

Does anyone know what B&M store has a silver sensor antenna for sale? On either Walmart.com, Meijer.com, Radioshack.com, Abcwarehouse.com, Circuitcity.it doesn't show that they sell one, and I'm about fed up! :(

Are they this rare to find?

I think you could order one from one of the vendors on this site. If you you buy from Value Electronics I think they give satellite guys members a special discount. Look on the top of this page.

Ok, I purchased a Zenith Silver Sensor, its on its way. We'll see how it helps, hopefully I get it by Friday.

Well, that was a waste of money. I can't return it either. Silver Sensor still can't pickup more than the stupid religous channel. All it does is picks it up slightly better...

It detects that something is there on channel 51, but does pull it in just like the cheaper antenna. No difference. Of course the other channels FOX, NBC, CBS I don't stand a chance at getting.

Last edited: