Information everyone must know about the Lease Program:

Status
Please reply by conversation.
On the LonghornXP site linked to in the first post, I don't see anything about a limitation of the number of receivers that D* will allow to be added to the account. I remember reading somewhere limits on various types of IRDs, for example, only one HD DVR per year. Anyone seen that?

Edit:
I found the info here.
Longhorn, you might want to add that to your web page. Seems very restrictive to me.

Last edited:
yeah, but...

This whole thing is very interesting..

I went into Circuit City this weekend and bought an open box R15.

Nowhere in the store was there any mention of a lease. I went in as an existing customer on the reciept, but I didn't sign anything saying it was a lease, or anything other than a normal purchase. I haven't activated it yet, and will probably wait a couple weeks before I call in to DTV.

Now, I already pay $7.99 a month for the equipment protection plan. So, in this new pricing scheme, exactly what value am I getting?

Grizzly

grizzly said:

Nowhere in the store was there any mention of a lease. I went in as an existing customer on the reciept, but I didn't sign anything saying it was a lease, or anything other than a normal purchase. I haven't activated it yet, and will probably wait a couple weeks before I call in to DTV.

Now, I already pay $7.99 a month for the equipment protection plan. So, in this new pricing scheme, exactly what value am I getting?

Grizzly

When you call to activate the box I would suggest you record the call. First make sure you tell the CSR that your recording this call for your protection first before the start of the call. This is very important if you want protection from the courts because many state laws require that you tell the other person if your recording the call right at the start of the call. When you go to activate the box when they go through the whole two minutes reading back the terms to you if you hear the word lease once make sure you know what your dealing with when you tell the rep I agree. They record those calls for their protection so you should do the same for your protection. I would also ask the CSR if you will own this box or be leasing the box. If the CSR says you will own it as long as its recorded by you and you told the CSR at the start of the call that your recording it you can sue DirecTV in small claims court and win. DirecTV is required by law to uphold what a customer is told when it comes to contracts and pricing but most customers never allow themselves to have proof after the fact such as recording the call. DirecTV can always say they never said that. With a recording you can prove otherwise.

Just make sure that if you don't tell the CSR at the start of the call that your recording it any recording made will be thrown out of small claims court. The person has a right to defend themselves and sadly a CSR that knows they are being recorded would be more carefull with opinions and saying the terms clearly. Either way make sure you stick to this rule of recording. I do this with every company I deal with and I've taken a few of them to small claims court and won them all.

grizzly said:

Grizzly

As soon as you call D* to activate it you will be put on a 2 year commitment. They did that to me, without even telling me about it but I have questions if it was legal or not. I bought the unit to replace a bad one I had, not signing any paperwork and getting only a sales slip, I called D* and had it activated. At neither the store or during activation was anything said about a commitment. It wasn't until I got my next bill that I knew about it as it stated it on the bill. I called and inquired about it and they told me they now add a 2 year commitment automatically. I told them I never signed anything and they told me that I didn't have to, as they automatically add it when you add new HD or DVD equipment, to your system.

First if you have bought a box before 3/1/06 you must activated the box on or before 3/30/06 and you must tell DirecTV that this box isn't a lease box but one you own.
I called DTV and canceled my service.CSR told me that i can reactivate that equipment at anytime.
Did he not know what he was talkin about?Most of em dont.

vurbano said:
The average consumer doesnt have HD and is really not relevant to this thread. The deal really isnt so bad for Joe sixpack who lives in the SD world. Except he might not go for the 2 year 300 dollar commitment.

You forget that the Joe sixpack's are the people that always keep the company running.

The Tate said:
You forget that the Joe sixpack's are the people that always keep the company running.
Im not sure what you are trying to say. I havent forgotten that and neither has D*. That is why theyve chosen to stick it to the High end subs instead of spreading the burden.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
Im not sure what you are trying to say. I havent forgotten that and neither has D*. That is why theyve chosen to stick it to the High end subs instead of spreading the burden.

Directv HDDVR $499 and its a lease
Dish HDDVR $299 and its a lease

With both company's you still have to pay for the upgrade. Basically their is not enough people who have a HDTV to justify either company to offer a better deal as of right now. Just like every other piece of technology that is new it always goes down in price.
Heck why buy a XBox for over $500 when you can wait and get one for $200.

I wonder what will become of the comment made by a D* representative to Matt Casamassina of IGN.com, at the CES. He was told that when the new MPG4 receiver comes out it will cost $200.00 with a substantial rebate, to new customers and upgrades would be free of charge to current MPG2 HD DVR owners.

I just wonder how the lease will effect that comment.

Last edited:
Well I wrote to D* last night to express my opinions and rcvd this reply from them:

Thanks for writing. I understand your frustrations about the new leased equipment that we offer. However, equipment costs, particularly for advanced products such as HD and/or DVR receivers, can be sizable and we believe leasing provides our customers a better, more affordable, alternative.

Visit our web site at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/get_directv/currentoffer.jsp to see all the offers we have available today.

If you decide you want to own your DIRECTV System instead of leasing directly from us, select retailers may offer this option. Your best bet is to check with individual retailers. To find one nearest you, please visit our web site at DIRECTV.com/retailers and enter your zip code in the lookup field. Please note that not all of these retailers may offer a purchase option.

Thanks for your patience, and for giving us the chance to respond to your concerns.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Customer Service

trance said:
Well I wrote to D* last night to express my opinions and rcvd this reply from them:

Thanks for writing. I understand your frustrations about the new leased equipment that we offer. However, equipment costs, particularly for advanced products such as HD and/or DVR receivers, can be sizable and we believe leasing provides our customers a better, more affordable, alternative.

Visit our web site at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/get_directv/currentoffer.jsp to see all the offers we have available today.

If you decide you want to own your DIRECTV System instead of leasing directly from us, select retailers may offer this option. Your best bet is to check with individual retailers. To find one nearest you, please visit our web site at DIRECTV.com/retailers and enter your zip code in the lookup field. Please note that not all of these retailers may offer a purchase option.

Thanks for your patience, and for giving us the chance to respond to your concerns.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Customer Service

I also filed a complaint with the FCC and the Florida Attorney Generals office so it's wait and see if D* changes their model.

telecaster said:
I called DTV and canceled my service.CSR told me that i can reactivate that equipment at anytime.
Did he not know what he was talkin about?Most of em dont.

Why would they not turn your box on? Absent you having stolen it or a card with $ owed on it, I can't think if a reason they wouldn't be happy about another few bucks in their pockets.

R10 purchased

What if I purchased an R10 from a retailer and did not send in the rebate? If I activate it, even though I own it outright, will they try and add a commitment to my account? I have no commitment at the present time.

If I do send in the rebate and activate it, I'm assuming I'll get a 2 yr. commitment added to my account.

cindycrane said:
What if I purchased an R10 from a retailer and did not send in the rebate? If I activate it, even though I own it outright, will they try and add a commitment to my account? I have no commitment at the present time.

If I do send in the rebate and activate it, I'm assuming I'll get a 2 yr. commitment added to my account.
I you add any receiver, with rebate or without rebate, you will have commitment. The only way around the commitment is to replace an existing receiver and use the access card from the old receiver in the new.

I have Phillips DSR 7000 that I received via FedEx for the DVR4ME promotion. The installer has failed to show up twice for a scheduled installation. I am replacing a SD receiver in the bedroom with either the retail purchased R10 or the DSR 7000(I already have two cables run to the bedroom.) I guess I could activate one then deactivate it and then activate the other one and have it in use every day. I could take the deactivated one and keep it for a rainy day.

Would that work? I know that with the DVR4ME program there is no commitment. And if I use the card from my SD in the new R10 I shouldn't have a commitment either. Do I understand the terms correctly?

cindycrane said:
...And if I use the card from my SD in the new R10 I shouldn't have a commitment either. Do I understand the terms correctly?
It has worked for me in the recent past when replacing a DSR6000 with a HR10 to avoid commitment for replacement receiver when I used old card. Now, since 3/1 things might have changed. In your case it might not be an option since the card in your SD might not work in the R10 since the R10 and R15 require a newer type card.

Last edited:
I replaced my Hughes HTL-HD box with a HD-20 and new access card and DirecTV didn't extend my commitment time. So I don't know if you have to reuse an existing access card or they just forgot to extend my commitment.

Chris

This whole lease deal is Crap. I can understand if we get to keep the equipment after we pay $300-$500 for a receiver. But to make us pay that and give it back with no refund if we cancel service before 24 months, or upgrade, or cancel after 24 moths seems like communism. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts