Information everyone must know about the Lease Program:

Status
Please reply by conversation.
lou_do said:
Just like the monopoly D* has with the over priced ST package. I would love to see the FCC break up that monopoly.

D* pays the NFL for the ST right.Basically "for example" if you had a product and someone came to you and offered you an outrages price to distribute your product, but the only problem was you could not have anyone else distribute it for you. Just like the way MNF is.

Right now, NewEgg has the H20 receiver for $89.00 (plus ship). There's no mention anywhere of this being a lease. If I pluck down the $89 bucks for this, I'm not really buying it??

HarryD said:
Right now, NewEgg has the H20 receiver for $89.00 (plus ship). There's no mention anywhere of this being a lease. If I pluck down the $89 bucks for this, I'm not really buying it??

Correct.

The Tate said:

Ill believe that when they remove it from the contract. With all due respect, that info comes from a dealer still advertising a 200 dollar rebate on his website more than a week after it was over with :rolleyes:
http://www.fsiwebs.com/shopcart3/SC_ProdView.asp?LinkID=NVY6_pERj4acFA1A4DPh5e9cC5JyLx8HDCgPXAf4X7YzEL9ukJwFB52y1d0a_JuDSbi4AfuJgxw-

The Tate said:
If you send the equipment back I think you can get out of the 300 for the cancellation fee.

vurbano what type of service do you have.
No if you send the equipment back you get out of the 470 Dollar equipment charges not the programming commitment. As for my service I am currently a D* HDlite hostage.

LonghornXP said:
Under the lease program if you have an advanced box under the account the cancellation fee will be upto 300.00 pro-rated over 24 months. If you only have SD receivers under the account the cancellation fee will be upto 150.00 pro-rated over 12 months. All these pro-rated fees are per account and "not per box".

You must still return all leased hardware back to DirecTV under the lease plan and even if you completed the one or two year agreement you must still send the hardware back within 30 days after you cancel to avoid charges under their return of hardware policy.

If you fail to return the hardware back to DirecTv within 30 days of the cancellation of your service you must pay these per box fees below. Note these fees are per box and not per account.

SD box is 55.00.
SD DVR is 200.00.
HD box is 240.00.
HD DVR is 470.00.

If you cancel before the two years is up "and" fail to return the hardware you must pay these per box charges in addition to the above pro-rated per account charges.

If you cancel after the first two years "and" fail to return the hardware you must only pay the per box fees above under the hardware return policy.

If you cancel after the first two years "and" return the hardware you won't have to pay anything.

Last edited:
yeah,

rupert has some guys at vurbanos house with a gun to his head, forcing him to watch directv.:eek:

its getting old, vurbano.

Snapping on the Vurbmeister aside, I think it is most telling that many of us are considering "alternatives" as we learn more about this lease deal. Also, a few pages ago, someone posted a response from D* that said that the lease deal was easier on the customer????

There has to be some other motive, other than pissing off the (very few) HDTV customers? Now come on SatGuys, what could it be?

HarryD said:

And THIS is what I think will get D* in trouble. The first time someone goes after NewEgg or BB or CC for not telling them it's a lease, the retailer are going to go after D* or they are going to drop them from the mix. D* can't survive just on sales from advertising, they MUST be in stores.

scotsmanron said:
And THIS is what I think will get D* in trouble. The first time someone goes after NewEgg or BB or CC for not telling them it's a lease, the retailer are going to go after D* or they are going to drop them from the mix. D* can't survive just on sales from advertising, they MUST be in stores.

Exactly the point I brought up days ago. These retailers MUST advertise that YOU are NOT BUYING ANYTHING! You are paying an upfront lease fee! And it needs to replace the "sales price" they display! If they dont we are going to have very long lines in the courts.

Well I complained to my state's Atty General as to the new lease program......
I guess I will not get any "hearts" now...here is the reply.........
--------------
OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
Multi-State Division -
Fort Lauderdale

110 SE 6th Street
9th Floor
Fort Lauderdale
, Florida 33301
Telephone (954)
712-4600, SunCom 420-4600
Fax (954) 712-4706,
SunCom 420-4706

March 8, 2006

Mr. XXXXXXXXX

Re: DirecTV

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX:

Attorney General Crist requested that I respond to your complaint regarding
DirecTV. Our office has concluded our investigation into this company so
we are now forwarding your complaint to them asking for a response.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our office’s attention.

Sincerely,

Jack A. Norris
Special Counsel
-------------------------

This is going to be interesting as so many of us have contacted the Florida AG. Crist is VERY aggressive on consumer protection so I suspect something may come out of this.

moonman said:
Well I complained to my state's Atty General as to the new lease program......
I guess I will not get any "hearts" now...here is the reply.........
--------------
OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
Multi-State Division -
Fort Lauderdale

110 SE 6th Street
9th Floor
Fort Lauderdale
, Florida 33301
Telephone (954)
712-4600, SunCom 420-4600
Fax (954) 712-4706,
SunCom 420-4706

March 8, 2006

Mr. XXXXXXXXX

Re: DirecTV

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX:

Attorney General Crist requested that I respond to your complaint regarding
DirecTV. Our office has concluded our investigation into this company so
we are now forwarding your complaint to them asking for a response.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our office’s attention.

Sincerely,

Jack A. Norris
Special Counsel
-------------------------

We should be hearing more about this at some point in the future. We must always remember Florida does things somewhat slow compared to most states but as of now they are very worried (I was told so) about retail customers not clearly being informed that they aren't buying hardware but leasing hardware. From what I gather the store itself is liable for any action and if they the store such as say a Best Buy gets sued they in turn would have to sue DirecTV. Best Buy would clearly say its also DirecTVs job to inform the customer they are in a lease and don't own said box at the time of activation. Now who the courts will side with is the big question because both parties were wrong on how they went about this but one party could be at fault a higher percentage than the other.

If I had to guess I would say with the BB issue it would be BB 80% at fault and DirecTV 20% at fault if the customer never was told about a lease "and" never signed a lease contract in the store. Once BB gets sued a few times at 80% fault they will do something about it. Once customers walk into Best Buy and read how much they must pay upfront "and" find out they don't own the box I don't think BB would have increasing sales. This isn't good no matter how we slice it.

Also I've been told that DirecTV "can decide" to waive the pro-rated charges if the customer returns all leased hardware. DirecTV should be specific which means have one policy which states that (A) you will be charged or (B) you won't be charged. If DirecTV has no intention of charging customers if they return the hardware than why do they need a contract that says they can. Its not like they can't charge the customer if they don't return the hardware so what is the reason for having this in the contract.

LonghornXP said:
Also I've been told that DirecTV "can decide" to waive the pro-rated charges if the customer returns all leased hardware. DirecTV should be specific which means have one policy which states that (A) you will be charged or (B) you won't be charged. If DirecTV has no intention of charging customers if they return the hardware than why do they need a contract that says they can. Its not like they can't charge the customer if they don't return the hardware so what is the reason for having this in the contract.

I think that is also illegal. Either you have a prorated cancellation fee or you dont. To charge some a fee and not others is clear discrimination. A contract must treat everyone the same. Its hard to believe that D* after all these years doesnt know how to do business?

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
tate,

i for one have never , ever heard of DIRECTV going after a cx as long as they got the eq back. are your experiences the same??

Thats probably because the new mandatory lease program has only been in affect for 8 days. Ive never heard of anyone paying an upfront fee for leasing D* equipment either. Oh but that too just started 8 days ago.:rolleyes:

dragon002 said:
correct, 8 days so why the complaints to the AGs??
Because the lease addendum and the lack of info on the upfront costs are misleading. Its better to take care of it now than later. It will be much more expensive for D* later.

I just pray this "lease" progam works out real soon. We are looking for a new home now (Austin, Texas area)....may be buying around the 3 Qtr of this year or wait till next year..........I will not get Time Warner Cable....by the way, starting to get tired of just having HD by OTA...but its cool right now.....not College Football season yet!

Barney

vurbano said:
Because the lease addendum and the lack of info on the upfront costs are misleading. Its better to take care of it now than later. It will be much more expensive for D* later.

but vurbano, most of the people b*tching already have directv, nothing changed for them. why are they complaining?? because they MAY want to change? and want it the old way? no one is putting a gun to their skull and making them continue service or get an upgrade, correct.

and i have my suspicions some on here went out and got the eq, just for the tort rights.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts