Install Advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
First thing if it has been up there for a year you are all good legally so now it is part of the house and the hoa can not do anything about it. When we had our roof redone the roofer had a guys number to cal to repoint the dish. I purchased the directv insurance the day before i called directv to repoint my dish. Then after 2 months i discountinued the directv insurance. That saved alot right there. I would not worry about the hoa you have rights since it has been there for a year. I think the installer would have no problem with the siding. Talk to installer they have done alot of these i am sure.

First thing if it has been up there for a year you are all good legally so now it is part of the house and the hoa can not do anything about it. When we had our roof redone the roofer had a guys number to cal to repoint the dish. I purchased the directv insurance the day before i called directv to repoint my dish. Then after 2 months i discountinued the directv insurance. That saved alot right there. I would not worry about the hoa you have rights since it has been there for a year. I think the installer would have no problem with the siding. Talk to installer they have done alot of these i am sure.
I've done them on vinyl already, they work fine, the idea is the vinyl is suppose to be able to move when it gets hot and cold ... theres always a little movement on each piece, if something is bolted directly ... that can't happen.
However you Can use the type of vinyl siding ox they use for Edison and all would be fine .

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule

I see several potential places.

23vytlj.jpg
OK, I think I misunderstood and thought that it was not OK to install on vinyl but it seems it is.

When I moved in, I was under the impression that I owned the exterior and roof.
Reading the HOA rules, it say no dish at all. When I moved in, I just installed it without asking figuring no one would notice it on the back. I also figured that I owned the roof anyways.
10yrs later, everyone gets a notice about the HOA replacing all the roofs using a capital fund. The letter says they will take down any dish (and we have to put it back up). The letter explicitly stated not to put it back on the roof because it would void the warranty of the roof.

So I will take my "best effort" to abide by their wishes. That is the purpose of this thread since I am not an expert with installs. If there is no other option, maybe I'll just have them put it back up on the roof. I dont know. I've been getting annoyed with DirecTV lately (Losing my signal nearly every night due to weather, slow equipment, high prices, poor customer service) and thinking of just switching to cable (maybe everything else is the same but at least its cheaper). But first, I certainly need to review if I actually own my roof or not. If I do not, then I don't have a leg to stand on.

For those who don't like living in an HOA community, I don't really like it either. But I am certainly not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars to move because of a TV dispute. It will certainly be a consideration when I buy my next house.

OK, I think I misunderstood and thought that it was not OK to install on vinyl but it seems it is.

When I moved in, I was under the impression that I owned the exterior and roof.
Reading the HOA rules, it say no dish at all. When I moved in, I just installed it without asking figuring no one would notice it on the back. I also figured that I owned the roof anyways.
10yrs later, everyone gets a notice about the HOA replacing all the roofs using a capital fund. The letter says they will take down any dish (and we have to put it back up). The letter explicitly stated not to put it back on the roof because it would void the warranty of the roof.

So I will take my "best effort" to abide by their wishes. That is the purpose of this thread since I am not an expert with installs. If there is no other option, maybe I'll just have them put it back up on the roof. I dont know. I've been getting annoyed with DirecTV lately (Losing my signal nearly every night due to weather, slow equipment, high prices, poor customer service) and thinking of just switching to cable (maybe everything else is the same but at least its cheaper). But first, I certainly need to review if I actually own my roof or not. If I do not, then I don't have a leg to stand on.

For those who don't like living in an HOA community, I don't really like it either. But I am certainly not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars to move because of a TV dispute. It will certainly be a consideration when I buy my next house.
Being a president of a HOA i don't like it either but you grandfathered your dish in after a year of it being up there. My lawyer knows these things. So they do not want you to void the roof which is hogwash because our roofing company offered us a dish guy to repoint our dishes on the roof. Anyhow it looks like you have options since they voided the roof. There is under the roof eve mount which is a J pipe . Side of the house. Or even non penetrating mounts you can put in your back yard on the ground. Even mounting on a fence. The installer will scout that out for you thats what they do. You have the right to put a dish up. It's been there so do not worry about that. Again i mentioned earlier if you don't already have Directv insurance you can call them and get the insurance for a couple of months and opt out later then your install is free! Yes free i have done this myself. All your questions have been answered. I do not know how long you want to be without tv but radio is always great too. lol. At this point you just have to pull the trigger.

Thanks, I already pulled the trigger. They are scheduled to come out and have agreed to waive the fee. I have stuff on my DVR, HD antenna, and can do some streaming through my roku so I'm covered for now.

I'll have to look into the "grandfathering". I never got any official approval from the HOA the first time. I never heard of a law that says that if you do something that is not noticed for a year, there is an implicit acceptance.

Reactions: c-spand
Thanks, I already pulled the trigger. They are scheduled to come out and have agreed to waive the fee. I have stuff on my DVR, HD antenna, and can do some streaming through my roku so I'm covered for now.

I'll have to look into the "grandfathering". I never got any official approval from the HOA the first time. I never heard of a law that says that if you do something that is not noticed for a year, there is an implicit acceptance.
I had a situation where i had put a gate in on my backyard fence before they built a complex with a road next to it. The HOA on the otherside threatened to nail it shut but they couldn't because it had been there for more then a year my lawyer said just ignore the letters cause that's all they can do. Sure enough nothing happened. Here is an example Can my HOA make me take down my fence because they say it ... And the law that allows us to recieve tv signals in a toenhome or rental. Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule Your good to go.:bluesbros

Your link refers to a CO statute. I'll have to look to see if there is something similar in NJ. AS for the OTA rule, I see nothing in there that would restrict an HOA from saying you can't install it on the roof and put it elsewhere. It doesnt define "unreasonable cost". Certainly if I don't own the roof, I'm having trouble figuring that out from all the documents.
Anyways, I'll see what happens when the installer shows up and go from there.

Reactions: c-spand
Being a president of a HOA i don't like it either but you grandfathered your dish in after a year of it being up there. My lawyer knows these things. So they do not want you to void the roof which is hogwash because our roofing company offered us a dish guy to repoint our dishes on the roof. Anyhow it looks like you have options since they voided the roof. There is under the roof eve mount which is a J pipe . Side of the house. Or even non penetrating mounts you can put in your back yard on the ground. Even mounting on a fence. The installer will scout that out for you thats what they do. You have the right to put a dish up. It's been there so do not worry about that. Again i mentioned earlier if you don't already have Directv insurance you can call them and get the insurance for a couple of months and opt out later then your install is free! Yes free i have done this myself. All your questions have been answered. I do not know how long you want to be without tv but radio is always great too. lol. At this point you just have to pull the trigger.
Sorry,not true. I have been on the boards of two HOAs and there is NO grandfathering in this situation, unless you got WRITTEN permission . The HOA cannot ban dishes entirely (they are subject to the FCC rules on this) but if the roof is theirs they can stop you installing there.

texasbrit take me to court please. I will win. They sent harassing letters from their attorney but that is it so i still kept my gate. No written permission.:biggrin Again our roofers offered a tech to help repoint dishes. Which our HOA said that's really nice. So it's true. Really really

texasbrit take my to court please. I will win. They sent harassing letters from their attorney but that is it so i still kept my gate. No written permission.:biggrin Again our roofers offered a tech to help repoint dishes. Which our HOA said that's really nice. So it's true. Really really
You just have to stand your ground. :amen

What gate? If its your fence, you can put a dish there. Any other issues with your fence are nothing to do with the dish. And you're missing the point. Just because they do something now does not mean they can't change their minds. The HOA can do whatever it wants within the law. Unfortunately many HOAs try to overreach.

What gate? If its your fence, you can put a dish there. Any other issues with your fence are nothing to do with the dish. And you're missing the point. Just because they do something now does not mean they can't change their minds. The HOA can do whatever it wants within the law. Unfortunately many HOAs try to overreach.
Yes they try to over reach. In this case you or they try to push people around but have no legal grounds to do what ever they want. Glad you got my point and read about my story with the gate. Same applies with dish. Good Day:bluesbros

The the installer came out. He said he could not install it to the fascia because it would be too thin to support the dish. He also said he couldnt install it to the vinyl siding. My 3 story townhouse has a deck/balcony on the 2nd floor. He suggested there but it was too low to get over the roof. Finally, he said it would either have to be the roof or pole at the side of my house near the front. I settled on the pole. I figure if the HOA argues, I'll tell them that I was told either roof or pole and HOA said no to roof, therefore that is the only option that remains. Also, it is nice to have it in a location where I can make adjustments myself. I can remove it myself if needed. And ofcourse I always move it up to the roof if I have to. I've attached photos.

IMG_20190715_172814.jpg IMG_20190715_172827.jpg IMG_20190715_172834.jpg

Afterwards, I received an order summary. It showed a $49.99 charge that was suppose to have been waived. They signed me up for the protection plan without asking. They claim they changed my package eventhough its still the same. My monthly fee is $36.99 but they had told me it would be $26.99. After calling, they said they saw no $49.99 charge, they removed the protection plan, but said they could find no record of the $26.99 and said that the notes state I agreed to $36.99. The only reason I stuch with DirecTV was because it was cheaper. if I switched to Comcast, it would be $35/mo and I'd get a new DVR. I'd have to sign up for a 2yr contract, but after that, it would be $55/mo vs $70/mo from directv. So after all this, I might still cancel because they lied to me.

Reactions: ncted and c-spand
Good deal i am glad it worked out. The hoa can't Bi$%* about that now. 70 $ a month is good. Are you a Veteran or First Responder or over 55 they have discounts you can get from Directv. Just tell them Dish network is giving benefits and you should get that.

Since I already have internet through comcast, its only an extra ($35 1st yr) $55/mo. Directv is $71/mo. Comcast will give me new equipment, DirecTV wont and I'm stuck with a 10yr old box. Yeah, DirecTV's picture quality should be better but I don't know if its worth $15/mo and using old equipment. My plan was to stick it out another year with the discount, then switch to comcast. Then maybe switch back after 2yr but whatever way you add it up, comcast is much cheaper. Now directv is basically the same price but I can get a new box and they've pissed me off. So I dont know.

Since I already have internet through comcast, its only an extra ($35 1st yr) $55/mo. Directv is $71/mo. Comcast will give me new equipment, DirecTV wont and I'm stuck with a 10yr old box. Yeah, DirecTV's picture quality should be better but I don't know if its worth $15/mo and using old equipment. My plan was to stick it out another year with the discount, then switch to comcast. Then maybe switch back after 2yr but whatever way you add it up, comcast is much cheaper. Now directv is basically the same price but I can get a new box and they've pissed me off. So I dont know.
I'm curious, what equipment is it that you are using ... If you don't have a Genie yet, they should be willing to get you one at this point.

HR22. They were able to discount me down to $26.99 (well now $36.99) but when I asked for a genie they wanted $300 to upgrade the receiver.

HR22. They were able to discount me down to $26.99 (well now $36.99) but when I asked for a genie they wanted $300 to upgrade the receiver.
Call back and say the HR22 is dead, won't even boot up. At the least they will send you an HR24. At that point they may make a deal for a genie. BTW, is the area where the dish is now located a common area? If so, the HOA can make you remove it or if you refuse, do it themselves and bill you for the work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)