install help needed from vip to hopper 3 using dpp44

performanceisland

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Need install help, having issue:

Going from a system with 3 vip dual tuner receivers, DPP44 switch and 4 satellite setup (119, 110, 129, 118.7) using a dish 1000 plus, all wiring is 3ghz.

Upgrading to 1 hopper3 system, no joeys at this time.

Added power inserter on port #1 of DPP44 switch.

Added SOLO NODE to port 2 and 3 of DPP44 switch connecting to 1 and 2 on SOLO NODE.

short runs from dpp44 switch to solo node are 3ghz as well new, and center copper wire is cut appropriately.

All switches are indoors so are NOT grounded, only the dish outside is grounded.

When i turn on the Hopper 3 and it goes to step two trying to do a check switch it goes from 10 minutes remaining and gets stuck on 6 minutes remaining and does NOT progress from there ever, tried switching ports on dpp44 switch to solo node (avoiding port 1 of course) and no change, with that said i know from my vip receivers all my dpp44 switch ports work fine. Even have a duo node here and tried that with three connections to dpp44 switch port 2, 3, and 4 and same thing no progress after 6 minutes remaining. Software on hopper is 348. New in box hopper purchased.

I'm stuck and cant figure this out what am i doing wrong? thanks.

Hopper 3 will not work with a 44 switch Or a solo node. Hopper 3 uses Hybrid technology, not DPP. For your Dish, you need a 42 switch with a Hybrid Solo Hub. I assume you use an international dish for a specific reason, either international channels or the horse racing channels. There is a whole thread about it in this forum including a diagram showing how to do the cabling from the dish to the switch because it has to be done in a specific way. If you don’t need the international packages then you can switch to a 1000.2 dish with a hybrid LNBF and avoid the 42 switch

Since you already have the DPP44 switch, I would recommend adding the DPH42 switch to your existing configuration. This would give you the option of adding Wally or ViP receivers later. (211 series only, not your dual tuners which Dish would not allow to be mixed with Hoppers on the same account) HipKat can provide the diagram if you are interested in learning how to connect the two switches together.

Since you already have the DPP44 switch, I would recommend adding the DPH42 switch to your existing configuration. This would give you the option of adding Wally or ViP receivers later. (211 series only, not your dual tuners which Dish would not allow to be mixed with Hoppers on the same account) HipKat can provide the diagram if you are interested in learning how to connect the two switches together.

Personally if I was in his situation that’s what I would do so I have as many options available as possible without having to redo the whole setup. Instead of just thinking about what you want/need now think about any possible need down the road.

Reactions: pattykay

ok so my solo node and dual node are useless and i don't need them, instead i need to get a DPH42 switch and hybrid solo hub, to attach to my dpp44 switch, which seems like the way i want to go no rewiring and keep the dpp44 switch in case i need to use it for another receiver. However is there a better hybrid switch to use, what if later i want to upgrade to two hopper3s? the dph42 only has a set of two outputs, what if i want two hopper3s connected? do i still use a dph42 and then use a hybrid dual hub instead? or a different switch in place of the dph42?

Last edited:
ok so my solo node and dual node are useless and i don't need them, instead i need to get a DPH42 switch and hybrid solo hub, to attach to my dpp44 switch, which seems like the way i want to go no rewiring and keep the dpp44 switch in case i need to use it for another receiver. However is there a better hybrid switch to use, what if later i want to upgrade to two hopper3s? the dph42 only has a set of two outputs, what if i want two hopper3s connected? do i still use a dph42 and then use a hybrid dual hub instead? or a different switch in place of the dph42?
There is some rewiring. You have to run 4 lines form the Int'l dish to the 42 Switch. And they connect to the switch in a specific way

Here
dp2.png
dp6 (1).png

I'd like to see the setup for a 44 and 42 switch combo. and if the cabling from the Dish to 44 switch stays the same and the 44 switch to 42 switch

Thanks charlesrshell. I knew someone around here would have the diagram. The only other thing that performanceisland would need to remember is that for the international dish, all four lines would still be needed for the DPP44, and then four lines connecting the DPP44 to the DPH42.

Thanks charlesrshell. I knew someone around here would have the diagram. The only other thing that performanceisland would need to remember is that for the international dish, all four lines would still be needed for the DPP44, and then four lines connecting the DPP44 to the DPH42.
Welcome. Someone posted it one time and I saved it. Not sure if DISH legal or not.

Reactions: pattykay
Of course the OP has stated that he is going to use a single Hopper 3, no Joeys at this time. He has no need for the 44 switch at all.
At the moment, the OP has no need for the DPP44 switch. However, the OP did agree with my suggestion anyway:
Also, even if the OP did want to add Joeys, the DPP44 would not help with that. I listed which receivers (not clients) could be added by keeping the DPP44 switch in place.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have a philosophy: the fewer elements in a configuration that works is better than adding superfluous equipment that adds nothing to the succesfull end. The more that is there the more that can fail.
I've determined since I got here that some of these power users are OCD about having extravagant "builds" much like a custom computer builder

so i need a power inserter with the dph42 switch exactly as shown with this diagram as well?and its ok to connect the power inserter to the hybrid solo hub as shown in pic?

ps i have the older dish 1000 plus with the 118.7 lnb integrated with the 119 having one output for each orbital location and the 110 and 129 being separate on each side, i should not have to rewire anything using the same dish and wiring to my dpp44 switch and then from dpp44 to dph42. or do i also have to replace the LNB on the dish?

s-l300.jpg
You can put the power inserter after the hub also, but it has to be on the host line - the line to the Hopper plus you'll need (i'm sure) to replace your LNBF with a DPP500+ w/DP Dual for the 129

500pluslnb.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)