Installation Assistance Requested

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I have read some other posts but, want to run something by some of you installers. My apologizes for starting a new thread.

My buddy lives in an apartment on the first floor and has a cement patio with no railings. Our FOX affiliate is LIN owned and he currently has Time Warner Cable (may loose FOX all together and won’t be able to watch Packer games). His apartment won’t allow mounting or holes to be drilled.

I suggested DirecTV with SWM LNB (might have purchase on his own) and a 3 ghz Eagle Aspen Flat RG6 Coaxial Cable to put in the patio door.

What I need help with is mounting the Slimline dish but, with the weight I was thinking of a giant flower pot with a pole in the center surrounded with 50 lbs or 100 lbs of cement holding it in place kind of like a pole mount. What do you all think? Or would DirecTv or Dish Network basic dish Non-Pen mount - eBay (item 320300904402 end time Sep-22-08 13:57:31 PDT) work better? Any help would be appreciated. He wants to get this done ASAP.

Last edited:
The non-penetrating dish mount works great with a couple of cinder blocks for weight & would seem to be the quickest. It is also easiest to establish a plumb starting platform. If you're handy & have the correct sized pole the cement/flower pot install would work too. I believe the flowerpot (even with 100Ibs of weight) would need minor tweaking from time to time opposed to the non-penetrating mount which shouldn't move. You just can't overstate what the wind does to those bigger dishes.

I've heard some complaints about using the flat wire cable & believe that D installers no longer use it; it seems to work for most but be advised of the issue.

whether you use the cement-in-the-flowerpot-approach or the non-pen, you'll need a 2" od mast. Flat cable will fail over time if not fail instantly. Avoid flat cable (even the ones that are swept to 3 Ghz) when installing an au9 system. If there's no way to hide cable penetration, pass them through a window.

whether you use the cement-in-the-flowerpot-approach or the non-pen, you'll need a 2" od mast. Flat cable will fail over time if not fail instantly. Avoid flat cable (even the ones that are swept to 3 Ghz) when installing an au9 system. If there's no way to hide cable penetration, pass them through a window.

I would love to pass through a window but, simply can't do it here in Wisconsin. The winters are to cold to allow that much of a draft into the home with the cost of heating now days. The flat cable is less then $10. If he needs to replace it every 6 months so be it.

He just doesn't want to loose packers games and with TWC and LIN in control, it may just happen. The only alternative is Uverse but, it's available yet at his apartment complex. Our only providers here are Time Warner, AT&T, DirecTV and Dish and he would never consider dish as an option.

I yhink what sat ninja was suggesting was run the flat cable through the window. You open and close the window much less than the door which is what causes the cable to fail.

I yhink what sat ninja was suggesting was run the flat cable through the window. You open and close the window much less than the door which is what causes the cable to fail.
If you have double hung windows, might I suggest that you cut a piece of wood (1X4 or even 1X1) to the exact width of your window then drill a hole to match the OD of the RJ6 cable. Thread it through the hole prior to attaching the terminating connector and then allow this to stay in the "trough" of the window. You may have a little air leakage but it would clearly be better than jamming it into the window or door jamb. You could line it with felt or foam too. Just my $.02:cool:

If you have double hung windows, might I suggest that you cut a piece of wood (1X4 or even 1X1) to the exact width of your window then drill a hole to match the OD of the RJ6 cable. Thread it through the hole prior to attaching the terminating connector and then allow this to stay in the "trough" of the window. You may have a little air leakage but it would clearly be better than jamming it into the window or door jamb. You could line it with felt or foam too. Just my $.02:cool:

This works pretty well. I suggest remembering "drip loops" or at least having the cable rise to the window and NOT come down to the holes. Water will follow the cable! And this whole thing can be painted so it is not real noticeable.

Consider using an old tire with concrete as a base. Set all thread or bolts in the concrete in the pattern of the standard mast base. If it has to be higher (taller) clamp on more 2"0d pipe. If you set a piece of pipe it has to be plumb & not rotate in the concrete.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts