installer question

are you guys using IA6 where you are... if so what kind of signal strength are you gettting?....i hate explaining to customers why their hughesnet signal is nowhere near their dtv signal

yhea IA6. I do good to get 60% but most of the time its 52 to 57. the cross pol has gotten better in the last week. I get in the lower to mid 90s and even hit 99, 3 or 4 times a week. When we first changed I had to get in the 80's to pass but I have gotten 72 and passed a couple of days ago.

I use to thing HOR1 was the worst but on 1170 I was getting 90 to 92 every install.

I like IA8 the best though.

I like you hate to try to explain to the customers why the signal is not better and have even had some get mad because their friend use to do DWay and said it should be better, blah blah blah.

Have you ever had someone try to get their signal better after you leave and get mad because they screw it up?

got rained out on wed... installed today...piece of cake....got an 80 rcv and a 75 cpol

Attachments

• DSCF0327.JPG
    DSCF0327.JPG
    716.3 KB · Views: 115
jellison1 said:
got another one today one tuesday and .98-4020 on thursday
they are trying to hurt me.....:eek:

what bird is the 4020 going to?

I don't mind them but the 4010's suck. I always have a bad Brighton, about 60% of the ones I have got have been bad and most I have to drop before they will work. Then you have to go into the hyperterminal and set phone numbers. They are always a pain in the ass.

hey the tate have you ever had anyone not be able to connect to their vpn with the 7000....i know the 6000's were very bad with vpn but i thought the 7000's had resolved most of those issues

jellison1 said:
hey the tate have you ever had anyone not be able to connect to their vpn with the 7000....i know the 6000's were very bad with vpn but i thought the 7000's had resolved most of those issues

I have seen some "maybe 3 or 4" that would not connect or would try to make a secondary connection. Sometimes the VPN settings has to be configured on the clients computer to accept LAN connections "which I have no idea how to do". Another situation is that the VPN cannot establish an authencated connection with the clients machine because of NAT http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4052
"Q: What's a NAT?

A: If you use the consumer version of a DirecWay product, the IP address of your satellite adapter is not routable on the internet. It can only be used on private networks. Hughes uses a method of translating your IP address to a routable address called Network Address Translation. This is where "NAT" comes from. In a typical NAT configuration, your computer appears to every other computer on the internet to have the IP address of the machine that is performing the NAT services. All your traffic goes through that machine. It keeps a table (a NAT table, strangely enough)of entries of everything you have requested from the Internet so that when the response comes back, it knows who requested it and where the response should be sent.

NAT is used as a way to conserve IP addresses, as Internet routable IP addresses are neither free or readily available in huge quantities. It also provides a good level of initial security, as unless your computer requested it, it is very hard for an external computer to send you anything. It can cause issues for some applications that insist on knowing the exact IP address of the computer they are talking to. This can make being a VPN client difficult, and can make it impossible to connect to your machine as an FTP or PcAnywhere server.

Now the odd thing about the Hughes NAT is that sometimes it seems to work like every other NAT in that your public, routable IP address is shared with every other user going through the same NAT device. Other times, the translated address is unique to you alone. This is the phenomenon we around here call being "un-nated". It really is a misnomer, because your address is always a result of NAT. Even the unique one you get during the "un-nated" phases is still not the address of your adapter and has been translated for use on the Net. The difference is if your NAT'd public IP address is unique to you, then any security benefit of NAT is lost, and those applications that require you to have a unique public, routable IP start magically working.

It has been the experience of DirecWay users that when they are NOT using the proxy AND they have a public IP address ending in a single digit, they are "nated" or are sharing the address with many other users. If that address when not using the proxy ends in some other multi digit octet, they are "un-nated" and have a unique IP. During these times you will see many hits on your firewall as your computer is completely exposed to the Internet, and all the port scanning traffic.

He/She may need a Static IP.

I usually tell the customer if they cannot connect to get intouch with their IT guy.

The Tate said:
I have seen some "maybe 3 or 4" that would not connect or would try to make a secondary connection. Sometimes the VPN settings has to be configured on the clients computer to accept LAN connections "which I have no idea how to do". Another situation is that the VPN cannot establish an authencated connection with the clients machine because of NAT http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4052
"Q: What's a NAT?

A: If you use the consumer version of a DirecWay product, the IP address of your satellite adapter is not routable on the internet. It can only be used on private networks. Hughes uses a method of translating your IP address to a routable address called Network Address Translation. This is where "NAT" comes from. In a typical NAT configuration, your computer appears to every other computer on the internet to have the IP address of the machine that is performing the NAT services. All your traffic goes through that machine. It keeps a table (a NAT table, strangely enough)of entries of everything you have requested from the Internet so that when the response comes back, it knows who requested it and where the response should be sent.

NAT is used as a way to conserve IP addresses, as Internet routable IP addresses are neither free or readily available in huge quantities. It also provides a good level of initial security, as unless your computer requested it, it is very hard for an external computer to send you anything. It can cause issues for some applications that insist on knowing the exact IP address of the computer they are talking to. This can make being a VPN client difficult, and can make it impossible to connect to your machine as an FTP or PcAnywhere server.

Now the odd thing about the Hughes NAT is that sometimes it seems to work like every other NAT in that your public, routable IP address is shared with every other user going through the same NAT device. Other times, the translated address is unique to you alone. This is the phenomenon we around here call being "un-nated". It really is a misnomer, because your address is always a result of NAT. Even the unique one you get during the "un-nated" phases is still not the address of your adapter and has been translated for use on the Net. The difference is if your NAT'd public IP address is unique to you, then any security benefit of NAT is lost, and those applications that require you to have a unique public, routable IP start magically working.

It has been the experience of DirecWay users that when they are NOT using the proxy AND they have a public IP address ending in a single digit, they are "nated" or are sharing the address with many other users. If that address when not using the proxy ends in some other multi digit octet, they are "un-nated" and have a unique IP. During these times you will see many hits on your firewall as your computer is completely exposed to the Internet, and all the port scanning traffic.

He/She may need a Static IP.

I usually tell the customer if they cannot connect to get intouch with their IT guy.

If the customer is using a VPN they need a static IP. NAT'd systems may also be assigned the same IP address as other systems but use a different port number (port address translation). The other problem you might see is the VPN end point sees the IP address of the turbo page servers, not the 6000 or 7000.

threadkiller said:
If the customer is using a VPN they need a static IP. NAT'd systems may also be assigned the same IP address as other systems but use a different port number (port address translation). The other problem you might see is the VPN end point sees the IP address of the turbo page servers, not the 6000 or 7000.

They need a static IP but in some cases it is not a necessity. Some users only sign on to the VPN to access email and I have seen some systems work fine just on the NAT addresses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts