Installing a motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Where should I look for info on installing a dish motor so I don' ask questions that have already been answered? I'd like to have an idea what I'd be getting into before I buy a motor.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah we are glad to help here, so ask away if you don't understand something. :)

Ok, 1st question. Unless I'm wrong, and that is a distinct possibility, the satellites are not in a straight line but are in an arc. Low on the horizon for east and west and higher in the middle. Do motors do both azimuth and elevation?

With Ku band the motors do take care of it. With C band, you need a polar mount and that takes care of the changing elevation. C band uses an actuator or a H to H motor, with most of them being an actuator.

Ku band, is pretty simple to set up assuming your receiver does USAL. If that is the case then get pretty close to due south, tell your receiver that you want to go to the satellite closest to due south then swing the dish right and left to hopefully acquire a signal. Then peak it, and if you got the right satellite and got all the elevations correct, your should be ready to hit the other satellites. (Now, a lot of times it doesn't go that easy, especially the first time out.)

Ask questions, we don't mind answering them.

It's a KU band (about 3 feet). I ordered a align-a-site off of E-bay today. I suspect that someone used it once and was selling it at half off. Hopefully that will help on the set up. I find satellites when I tinker with it but never seem to find the one I'm looking for. I'm using a lensatic compass and one of those inclinometers you buy at the local hardware store. My receiver is a Manhatten, I don't have the model # off hand.

What brand of dish is it? Is it a fiberglass or just plain metal?

It's a plain metal no-name 36 inch dish. I have a 39 inch dish in the garage that was sent by mistake but it didn't come with a mounting pole.
It would be great if you could motorize the 39" for better signal. Then you could use the 36" as a fixed dish. Maybe post up a few picks of the 39" to see what you need to make it complete. Someone may have the part or know where you can get it low cost.:)

Yes it would be nice if you could get the 39" reflector up and running, but either way I would go with a good STAB HH90.

...or an HH120 if you don't mind spending the extra coin, but an HH90 will do.
:)

I see google comes up with an HH100. Is this a STAB model or something else?

But be aware that the HH120 is much slower than the HH90 (I have both).

I should mention the Stab HH120 has a larger mounting tube, 2 1/4" I believe. Many 36" dishes have only a 1 7/8" tube accommodation. Your 39" dish would likely fit but make sure you check before ordering a motor!

I appreciate the info on the motors. Any feed back on the SG series? I assume the STABs are Italian? Who has them? All I could find is one on E-bay (very quick search since the dinner bell just went off!)

With a SG, you are never sure of it's pedigree. It might be a great quality build or a knock-off with control issues and cheap hardware.

Yes, STAB motors are from Italy and manufactured by the developer of the USALS protocol. The build quality is excellent and will provide years of reliable operation. Google will yield several North American resellers.

I bought a motor from Sadoun about 10 days ago. Ordered a PowerTech but they shipped a Stab90 instead. It has worked out well. Very pleased with the motor. You could check with them to see if they are still shipping Stabs.
As Cham mentioned, make sure your tube diameter spec matches that of the motor and that your pole diameter will work with the motor pole clamps.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Motors/HH-Motors.htm

Status
Please reply by conversation.