Integrated Tuner and Satellite, Do I need Satellite HD Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
I just purchased a Sanyo 30'' Wide Screen HD TV model #HT30744. It has Dual Integrated Analog & Digital Tuners (you can view the specs on the Sanyo 30" HDTV).

I want to subscribe to either Dish Network or Directv and receive HD programming. Since I have the Integrated tuner, do I need to purchase the HD program package from the satellite company (includes HD boxtop tuner) or can I purchase their basic package with the regular boxtop putner?

I'm not trying to cheapout, but I hate to give away money if I don't have to.

Thanks!!!
Steve

You have to have the providers HD receiver AND subscribe to HD pack in order to receive Satellite HD content on your Sanyo. The integrated digital allows you to receive digital OTA, the analog allows you to receive NTSC OTA.

Al

Since the HD satellite receiver will also be capable of receiving OTA broadcasts, hopefully you didn't pay extra for the integrated tuner.

Yes for Dish, Direct or Cable HD you will need the respective STB.
Having the built in OTA tuner is good if you decide to drop one of the above services and still want to see OTA.

I really don't see the point of buying an HDTV with an integrated OTA tuner these days.

HD Tuner

I have an Hitachi TV w/o an integrated HD tuner. My cable STB does not have an input for OTA signals (i.e. antenna input). Can I purchase a HD tuner that would allow me to input my OTA signal without going thru a satellite company? Where would I look for this?

Yes you can get a plain OTA HDTV tuner. ebay and walmart are a couple of sources. The point they are trying to get across above is that if you have HDTV with your cable/sat provider, most of the time the STB you get already has an integrated tuner for OTA broadcasts. So, getting a TV with an integrated HDTV tuner isn't that important. Not long ago, having an integrated HDTV tuner was a selling point(with additional cost) for HDTV TV's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)