Interesting sports cartoon yesterday

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
So was reading the paper yesterday (yes some of us still do that) and in the comics I saw a funny (yet true) sports cartoon

attachment.php

Now I liked it more for the sentimental value (since one of my teams is there...the North Stars) but I know some folks will take it political (and please don't)

Nice to see the North Stars, Whalers, Nordiques, Expos ( :( ), Oilers, Sonics and Pilots being remembered

Attachments

• tas120805.jpg
    tas120805.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 271
So was reading the paper yesterday (yes some of us still do that) and in the comics I saw a funny (yet true) sports cartoon

Now I liked it more for the sentimental value (since one of my teams is there...the North Stars) but I know some folks will take it political (and please don't)

Nice to see the North Stars, Whalers, Nordiques, Expos ( :( ), Oilers, Sonics and Pilots being remembered

The teams would still be here if the fans showed up and if they would of built new stadiums or arenas.

The Pilots moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers. I think they were only in Seattle for 2 seasons.

So the mets are on the way out. :D

View attachment 79889

LOL.... Love that cartoon. It reminds me of the joke back when the Patriots were awful. A guy left two tickets to a Pats game on his dashboard. When he went to his car the next morning, he realized his car was broken into. Thinking that his two Pats tickets were stolen, he was shocked to find that not only were they still there, but there was now two more tickets on the dashboard. :)

The teams would still be here if the fans showed up and if they would of built new stadiums or arenas.

on 3 of those I would call bull on that
Expos were literally run into the ground by Loria (that p**ck). If you were a fan of the Expos and had to deal with what he did he'll I'd no longer be a fan. I mean in 2000 you take the team off English TV and Radio and only broadcast like 10 games in French TV because thats how you get fans to come to the park? Seriously???

Quebec left due to money wise since the Canadian dollar sucked (yet they paid salaries in US $$) and really no way to get the English speaking folks involved. Yes I know Quebec City is like 95% French speaking but they have no way to get English speaking radio or TV there at the time (now they do)

North Stars...well thats a tough pill for me to talk about it as I spent many nights at the Met Center

I suspect there will be greater resistance in the future to using public funds for sports arenas, especially because ticket prices have escalated. Fewer attend, fewer to support new stadiums. Hard to make the case today that building such with public support in various forms is cost effective.

Had to look up the Oilers. Hadn't realized they were even gone, and gone for so long. Of course, I don't follow sports so no surprise there.

Are there fewer NFL teams today than say, ten years ago?

Does anyone know if there was a legal barrier to MLB using the name Senators this time around? Recycling it for this third (?) incarnation of Washington, DC major league baseball seemed like a no-brainer.

Otherwise, it is tough determining where to draw the line. The Washington Redskins began as the New England Redskins, and does anyone really want the New York Mets to change its name to the Giants or Dodgers.

Does anyone know if there was a legal barrier to MLB using the name Senators this time around? Recycling it for this third (?) incarnation of Washington, DC major league baseball seemed like a no-brainer.

doesnt look like there was any legal issue. When the Senators were re-created in 1961 they took that name even though the MN Twins took the Senators history with them

per wiki (take with gran of salt)
Although there was some sentiment to revive the name Senators, political considerations factored into the choice of Nationals, a revival of the first American League franchise's "official" nickname used from 1905 to 1956.[12] Politicians and others in the District of Columbia objected to the name Senators because the District of Columbia does not have voting representation in Congress.[13] In addition, the Rangers still owned the rights to the Senators name,[14] although the Nationals were able to acquire the rights to the curly "W" from the Rangers.

I wish the Whalers never left Hartford. The Whale and the Bruins were just turning into bitter rivals when they left for Carolina.

I wish the Whalers never left Hartford. The Whale and the Bruins were just turning into bitter rivals when they left for Carolina.
You and me both. I had Whalers season tickets for years. I even went up to Springfield after the Hartford Civic Center collapse. With better management, they would still be here. They were well supported during the good times....

Iceberg said:
on 3 of those I would call bull on that
Expos were literally run into the ground by Loria (that p**ck). If you were a fan of the Expos and had to deal with what he did he'll I'd no longer be a fan. I mean in 2000 you take the team off English TV and Radio and only broadcast like 10 games in French TV because thats how you get fans to come to the park? Seriously???

Quebec left due to money wise since the Canadian dollar sucked (yet they paid salaries in US $$) and really no way to get the English speaking folks involved. Yes I know Quebec City is like 95% French speaking but they have no way to get English speaking radio or TV there at the time (now they do)

North Stars...well thats a tough pill for me to talk about it as I spent many nights at the Met Center

When the penguin beat the north stars for the Stanley cup no one showed up to the games until they were in the playoffs.

Yes the owner of the Expos ran that team out, MLB should of done a better job at trying to keep them in Montreal but I'm sure if the fans would of showed up they wouldn't of played games in Puerto Rico.

We almost lost the penguins if the city didn't build a new arena, a lot of people don't like cities spending money for new stadiums or arenas but without those teams cities will lose a lot of money they depend on.

Of those discussed:

Pilots: The A's left KC for Oakland. Missouri pols made MLB expand for 69, back to KC and to Seattle. Seattle was not ready, wanted to wait until 72, which was the original plan. Stadium was simply inadequate. Selig bought the team out of bankruptcy to move it to Milwaukee, where baseball had already failed and did not want to be. MLB had to agree because nobody else was there with cash to meet payroll, as if the team missed payroll, every player would have been a free agent in that Reserve Clause era.

Expos: Likewise Montreal was not ready and had to play in a wooden stadium for seven long years, and then had to move into the greatest piece of archetectual malpractice in history. The the owner ran the team into the ground to get it free. And, a foreign enemy could not have done more damage to the Montreal economy on purpose than the PQ types did to it unintentionally.

North Stars: Typical of the NHL. How do you not have a team in the metro area with the most realtionship to hockey in the USA? Idiots.

Senators/Nationals: Actually condidered "Grays", in an attempt to be PC. In any event, newness is wearing off, and we are seeing why the Senators left twice, and why everybody who knew anything understood they they stadium needed to be in Virginia.

North Stars: Typical of the NHL. How do you not have a team in the metro area with the most realtionship to hockey in the USA? Idiots.

huh? The Met Centre was in Bloomington (next to Met Stadium) which is like 10 minutes from downtown Minneapolis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts