International News & Wild Feeds

Status
Please reply by conversation.
We are messing around trying to get some signals from other satellites and gave up last night.
I scanned for all signals and I ended up somehow getting a Signal and Quality from 12.5W Ku-EutelSat.
Lyngsat says its below the horizon, so how is it possible for us to have signal?

http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-12-West-A.html

11842/22000/H (not sure what this is?)
frequency/SR/Polarity (SR = serial rate) many times shown as 11842H22000
Eutelsat 12.5W? Impossible. name of some channels you got?
Going to a motor, first get some experience aiming at other satellites to get a 'feel' for how it all 'acts'
A motor isn't going to be 'budda bing' done! will take a bit of 'manual labor' to get it right.
You can mark the pole/mount when you find a satellite. makes life easy to return to it.

They're all scrambled paid channels.
it says:
No. Program Name
0291 PR4567
0292 PR4612
0293 PR4628
etc... many others....
at the bottom it says:
12147/20001/H

We are messing around trying to get some signals from other satellites and gave up last night.
I scanned for all signals and I ended up somehow getting a Signal and Quality from 12.5W Ku-EutelSat.
Lyngsat says its below the horizon, so how is it possible for us to have signal?

http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-12-West-A.html

I doubt that you were on 12.5W. That satellite situated over West Africa and only covers the Eastern half of the United States.

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints

10418218_805584276132547_3889504626191027339_n.jpg

Is Seeing Believing?

http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html will be the list to look through. 12147/20001/H will be in there somewhere.
The frequencies are the same or similar, The 'band' is pretty much world wide.11700 to 12200
Where's the dish in relation to where it was on 97?
NOTE: frequency may be plus/minus 3 , SR may be plus/minus up to 500 but usually within 200
Globecast on 97 has a TP of 12145 V 22000

The receivers are Dumb, they don't know what satellite you've aimed their dish at. All they know for sure is that it sees a signal at a particular frequency with a serial rate (SR) with a certain polarity that's been programmed into them. It's up to the operator, that's you, to 'tell' it what satellite it is.

I'm already there on Lyngsat. I checked all three EutelSat's on that page, none of them list 12147/20001/H.

This is why I'm so confused, like how can I be getting this signal? It's showing that this EutelSat satellite is east of me, yet i'm pointing south west. The dish is pointing about 50 degrees away from 97!

I want to try to understand, is another satellite "repeating" the other satellite signal to north america?

Satellite receivers are dumb devices. They will display any signal that is the same as the programmed transponder parameters no matter what satellite the dish is pointed at. The receiver doesn't care what satellite the dish is aimed at. It simply scans between start and stop frequencies then logs the found channels.

You can point the dish at 97w and set the receiver to satellite 12.5w then perform a blind scan. The STB will log all of the transponders under the 12.5w index and display the channel information as a 12.5w channels. The user tells the receiver what satellite list name to log the found transponders and channels.

The dish cannot be pointed 50 degrees west of 97w. There are no receivable satellites to your region from 147w. What is the dish elevation angle? Maybe the compass is near the swamp cooler again?

Edit: Slow typing... :D

I can see that, thanks for explaining. I was curious because I am getting signal and quality from the EutelSat along with the list of course. So, this is why I asked, how am I getting quality here if I'm not even pointing in the right direction? Now you understand what drove my curiosity.

But yet, when I try to find a specific satellite and have my coordinates set on the dish perfectly, I can't get "quality" on the meters on the television to communicate to my husband if he's getting a stronger or weaker signal.

Last night was trying to find a specific satellite and was communicating with my husband as he made adjustments and we were perfect with our coordinates. There was 0% quality, I then performed a scan and then the channels appeared along with quality.

It's like finding a needle in a haystack in my humble opinion.

He was not near the swamp cooler, he was on another part of the roof, then also proofed himself down on the ground.
He used a traditional compass, iphone compass and also the satellite tracker compass in iphone.
They all matched.
I don't get confused easily and when I do, I say, "what am i overlooking?"

You will soon notice that the satellites form an arc with the highest satellite being directly south of you to the East/West horizons. Each time you move East or west of your southern satellite the arc drops a degree or two. A motorized system track the arc of satellites if installed correctly.

The real challenge is that you have the signal meter inside the house and not next to the dish. This greatly complicates installs!

The key to finding a new satellite is to use a current satellite list with active transponders so the receiver can be on an active transponder for the signal meter to work. The transponder list that is preprogrammed in your receiver may not be current and not include new or have outdated transponders.

Sathint.com and global-cm.net are two satellite/transponder lists that are usually very accurate.

If the compass is 15 degrees off of the correct magnetically corrected reading for a satellite, there may be iron ore or strong magnetic disturbance affecting the compasses. I have been installing on properties were the compass was 25+ degrees out. Only until I returned for a second day on the install did I notice the sun want in the right location for the time of day. Moved to another location on the property and the needle swung around to the correct reading. :D

Without first confirming that you're watching a known active transponder it's almost impossible to find a satellite. For these, check TheList here, sathint.com and also mikes at mpeg central. Note also that these usually just list the FTA transponders and not the scrambled ones.

Sounds like she is at next door at 99w Ku band to me. 95 or 101 w should have some thing on to tell you where you are at. Sort of look and reading a map look for things that are famliar.

If you can use an "app" to help you point the dish I found that Satellite Director to be spot on when setting up your azimuth. It will also indicate if you are too close to metal to help eliminate inaccuracy which may be your issue. You can then set the elevation manually. The app can also aid in elevation but it involves offset and that is a little beyond a beginners skill level.

Reactions: melworks
I think, I should find a meter that can tell me where I am pointing at, azimuth, elevation and skew by connecting to the satellite at the LNB.

Meters aren't that intelligent.

A satellite meter will provide the same information as the receiver, but adds portability. If you want to just go up on the roof without bringing up an extension cord and small TV, then a quality meter is for you. But it won't automatically display the satellite you are aimed at. Most meters are just battery operated mini satellite receivers.

With a satellite meter, you will still need to select that satellite that you are aiming for, the LNB type and make sure the satellite/transponder list is up to date. Really no different than using a receiver and selecting the satellite that you are aiming for, the LNB type and an active transponder. Both a receiver and a meter will display a Signal Quality reading when the dish is aimed at a satellite that is transmitting a transponder that matched the parameters of the one that you selected.

For a new satellite hobbyist, your money is better spent on other stuff like motors, switches, etc. A quality meter will cost at least what your system has cost you so far. :eeek

Okay this is curious, with the information that was mailed to me from the dealer with the coordinates and instructions to get to Galaxy 19, they said go to 156.50 degrees on the compass, dish elevation angle is 47.80 degrees and the LNBF -13.40 degrees. I get to Galaxy 19 no problem!

When I go to the dispointer site, they said: Elevation: 47.8° Azimuth (true): 163.5° Azimuth (magn.): 154.6° LNB Skew: -13.4° - Can't find Galaxy 19 with these instructions.

This site is showing different settings on the compass than what is true / accurate.

Can anyone please suggest a site that does what dishpointer does with greater accuracy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)