International News & Wild Feeds

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When they say plumb is the pole that you are putting the dish on straight up and down not leaning. Are you still online?

Nicky is on the roof, already broke one bolt :coco

I broke a couple bolts on the geosatpro dish myself. The bolts are not the best quality...I sheered two bolts off. I would suggest replacing the elevation bolts with Grade 8 or Galvanized bolts as the zinc coated ones are not as strong. It is no big deal to replace the hardware once you get everything dialed in. All in all, the dish and LNB itself are awesome quality...just not the bolts ;)

The Glorystar set-up screen has 3 transponders with Signal Level and Quality readings that are used to align the dish. Just follow the guide for using these three transponders.

The post must be plumb and perfectly level for the dish elevation scale to be accurate. Use the bubble level to make sure the mast is installed plumb and level.

Was the dish assembled correctly. Was the top mast through bolt inserted through the hole stamped "A" in the mast clamp? Are you reading the elevation scale using the white painted pointer visible through the elevation scale to the left of the nut?

Did you identify a landmark on the horizon that is close to the compass reading 154 degrees?

Set the skew (LNBF Rotation) as provided. Don't change. Just set it until you get a Quality reading then adjust it.

00% quality just means the dish is not aligned yet.

Reactions: FaT Air
Signal strength doesn’t tell you anything other than that the LNB is hooked up. Signal quality is everything. Patience is extremely important when you are pointing at a tiny dot in the sky that is over 23,000 miles away in space. First of all make sure you have any broken bolts replaced before starting. Make small adjustments east and west of your compass reading. If you don’t get a signal then adjust your elevation slightly and try sweeping east to west again. Keep doing this until you get a signal. It is important to make very small adjustments. Once you have signal quality then adjust the dish to maximize the signal.

If you still cant get a signal send me a PM and I'll come over and straighten this out for you. I'd prefer to do this in the morning when its cool.

Reactions: Titanium
i see that on the page (strength & quality) that i was on, didn't see frequency polarity or sr.

right now I had an extra bolt, fixed. The quality is still zero, everything is set to the right stuff. So we need some help here in the ABQ area.

I'm doing the Glorystar setup for simplicity.
It says:
Highlight each of the 3 channels and aim the dish for best averaged Signal Quality reading above 60%
0901 RT News Strength 76% Quality 00%
0113 Cornerstone Strength 73% Quality 00%
0106 3ABN English Strength 77% Quality 00%

11842/22000/H (not sure what this is?)

Aiming Complete or Exit Install are my options

I don't see "Frequency Polarity or SR" as options. I'm using an install wizard in the transponder.

"Too many cooks spoil the soup". :)

The advice you are receiving would be useful if in the FTA install mode, so don't worry about identifying the frequency, polarity and symbol rate. In the Glorystar mode, those parameters are represented by the three channels in the install screen.

Did you verify correct dish mount assembly type "A" like I suggested in my previous post?

What are you using for the elevation scale pointer?

Also, the Glorystar support is now open and they are available by telephone to assist with aiming questions.

Reactions: FaT Air
I know I used the "A" side because the "B" was set for a higher angel, also I the degree's for 47.8 would have looked funny upside down. Also when we checked the elevation I had adjusted it up and down with chickie on the phone checking signal strength. Which went up and down +10 to get the max 77 strength we have now. The only other thing I can think of it is not balanced or I not seeing something correct but it is straight forward from what I can see. A second pair of eye would be helpful.

Don't understand the statement "the degree's for 47.8 would have looked funny upside down". The butterfly bracket is not flipped upside down, the mast clamp is flipped to select "A" or "B" scale usage. If assembled correctly, do you see the stamped "B" on the bottom of the mast clamp next to an offset oval shaped hole?

As TRG posted. The Signal Level only indicates that the LNBF is connected and working. Do not adjust the dish to maximize the Signal Level. This has nothing to do with finding the satellite signal. Adjust the dish aiming to display and peak the Signal Quality reading.

1. If the Mast is plumb and level, set the white pointer (left of the elevation nut) to point at the approximate elevation angle provided with your equipment.
  2. Set the Skew (LNBF rotatation angle) to the angle provided with you equipment.
  3. Aim the dish arm towards the landmark on the horizon that is close to the compass angle provided with you equipment.
  4. Place the receiver on RT News and slowly pan the dish left/right of the landmark on the horizon while watching the QUALITY reading meter. If the Signal QUALITY reading does not increase as you slowly pan the dish 10-15 degrees on either side of the landmark, increase the dish elevation in a 1 degree increment and repeat the slow panning motion 10 - 15 degrees either side of the landmark on the horizon. Repeat this painting of the sky while watching the Signal QUALITY meter for any increase. Raise or lower in one degree increments then slowly paint the sky while watching the Signal QUALITY reading. You may have to repeat this painting exercise many times up to 5-7 degrees above and below the initial dish elevation setting. The accuracy of the dish elevation is based on the mast being perfectly plumb and level.
Did you call Glorystar support for aiming assistance?

Brian, how accurate is the elevation scale on the GeoSatPRO 90cm dish? I have another azure shine dish (old 3ABN type) that was off quite a bit. I typically use an inclinometer and account for the 24 degree offset. I get much closer the first time that way. -Tom

Good news we have quality, had to rotate 15 degree's off from azimuth from 154 degrees and minus 2 degrees in elevation. It was trial and error and it worked.

Reactions: Titanium
Great news! Now you can perform a Master Reset on the STB, change the setting to hobbyist mode and perform a blind scan of 97W to receive all of the channels! :)

You will probably notice that as you move the compass around to take readings from different places on the roof or on your property, the needle will aim the towards the correct direction. Maybe the compass readings were being taken near the swamp cooler? Metal and electrical lines near the compass will throw it off quite a distance.

TRG, the GEOSATpro scale is very accurate. Within assemble parts tolerance. :)

Great job folks! I know that SatAV tech support had a lot to do with your success. Hopefully you learned a bit from your experience. Consider yourself an official member of the FTA community. And as always, let us know if you have any more questions. #thumbsup

i think we are going to get a motor instead, manual labor is not in my book. But that C band dish is starting to look nice. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts