International News & Wild Feeds

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The dish waist height 3 to 4 feet off the ground with a ground rod right next to the pole. Remember keep it simple. Lock on to one satellite at a time then thats where you start your adjusting. Baby steps takes time.

Reactions: TheHamNerd
Does it have to go up on the roof? It is a lot easier having a post buried in concrete in the earth. Climbing up on the roof every time you need to make an adjustment to the dish is a pain.

I second that....That was my first rookie mistake!!! Once I get my farm up and going, that roof dish will be parked on 30W if I am lucky, and the rest are on the ground for sure...TRUST US....it is better on the ground!:enjoying

Chickehaute look at my dish farm pics under danristheman in the shack you see why to put it close to the ground.

Grounding to the swamp cooler chassis will be fine. If it was installed to code, it will be fine. Manufactured home grounding is quite easy as the carriage frame is grounded and you can attach to the metal frame at any point under the home.

If you install the dish on a ground pole, do not set a ground rod unless it is bonded to the frame. Driving a second ground that is not bonded to the structure ground can be dangerous and should be avoided. Multiple grounding points can create voltage potential and can cause more damage than having no ground at all.

Agreed DON'T drive a ground rod, next to a ground pole, unless it is properly bonded, not safe. :)

Progress is slowly being made. Got the grounding issues all settled and connections to televisions being done. I am trying to go into hobby mode on the 1200 and I am trying to scan for channels on the different satellites, and I keep getting "no service." My signal strength is about 64-65%.
I need to help please, as I am using the 1200 book and left alone to figure this out.
If anyone would be kind enough to please join me in my video chat, it would be deeply appreciated.
Just click guest and type your name.
http://Chat.NAPPN.net
Thanks.
Chickie

I see some of you visiting my chat but not clicking guest and typing your name to enter.
Please do need your help.
Nicky is on the roof, already broke one bolt :coco

OK, is this dish on a motor, or to be aimed at one satellite?
For a 'fixed' one sat install:
Pole is vertical / plumb?
Set the dish mount elevation scale to that shown on www.dishpointer.com
Set the LNBF skew to that shown there also.
(when facing the dish face, back of the LNBF, if the satellite is west of you the skew is CCW.
East of you - the skew is CW.)
Select a known active transponder in the receivers tune up screen.
Initially, aim the dish slightly off to one side of the line shown at dishpointer.
In very small incremental movements, move the dish towards the line.
Wait a while for the receiver to 'lock' the transponder and display Q. 10 seconds is not unreasonable.
If you go quite a ways past the line without getting a Q reading, adjust the dish up or down no more than 1/2 a degree and repeat.
Once you get a Q reading, fine tune E -W, up and down for maximum. Tighten up the bolts, Scan the satellite.

Agree with Fat Air's question. Probably easiest to hold off on installing a motor and first install as a fixed dish. Mount the dish on the mast without the motor for 97w and follow the included instructions for installing for Glorystar.

Once you have it installed following the Glorystar instructions, get familiar with the menus and settings then change to the hobbyist mode, add the motor and progress to a full motorized installation.

Your LocationSatellite DataDish Setup Data
Latitude: 35.2298°
Longitude: -106.7017°
Name: 97.0W Galaxy 19
Distance: 37225km
Elevation: 47.8°
Azimuth (true): 163.5°
Azimuth (mag.): 154.6° using Compass
LNB Skew: -13.4°

setting all of these specs with 76% strength and quality 00%

Set everything for Elevation, Azimuth true and Azimuth mag and the Skew, same results

There's a scale on the dishes mount. Most likely have to align the edge of the metal in the elevation slot with the desired elevation. That is unless there's an obvious 'marker' or 'arrow'.
have you looked at dishpointer? Pretty accurate if not right on.

I am completely lost, some of the questions you're asking me about vertical / plumb, I'm a n00b, I have no idea what this means.

I did go into Glorystar mode and followed the book. Still 00% Quality on the signal.

Yes we have used dishpointer and even got an iphone app called Dish Align. Still not working, no signal. We know we're overlooking something, just cannot figure out what it could be.

Which transponder are you watching? I'll check it here.
how about posting some pictures, maybe we'll see something not right.

Should be a satellite alignment screen with 2 scales. Signal strength & Signal Quality.
Should also show the frequency polarity and SR. << that's the transponder

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)