Introducing Amiko A3

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The target MSRP was $230. Not sure if that will hold, but there will sure to be an intro offer to save a few coins ;)

OUCH....... That’s really expensive. If it had been in the +/- $100 - $125 range, I was beginning to consider one after seeing all the promised features, despite my dislike/distrust of google.
I could put one on my router and have the router block it from connecting to the outside world. But $230 is a lot more than I’m willing to spend on this. Oh well.. :tombstone to that idea..

OUCH....... That’s really expensive. If it had been in the +/- $100 - $125 range, I was beginning to consider one after seeing all the promised features

LOL!!! Dee Ann, Dee Ann, Dee Ann.... Sometimes I just wonder.... :D

You are buying a $900 meter that you will use a few times a year, but not consider $230 for a receiver that you will enjoy for many hours each day?

Remember how your tune changed after I got you to try the last STB?

Sorry, just busting your chops on that post.... :)

LOL!!! Dee Ann, Dee Ann, Dee Ann.... Sometimes I just wonder.... :D

You are buying a $900 meter that you will use a few times a year, but not consider $230 for a receiver that you will enjoy for many hours each day?

Remember how your tune changed after I got you to try the last STB?

Sorry, just busting your chops on that post.... :)

Well actually I wouldn’t be using either device on a daily basis. I mostly watch FTA on weekends and subscription D* during the week.
If I had a proper tuner in my office (where I spend most of my time) I would watch more. Especially when RTV starts airing the Doctor Who classics and of course I <3 the Harvey Toons which I would never tire of.
I do have a MicroHD in the other room, (thank you very much ;)) that I use at night to watch MeTV when I’m can’t sleep. It work perfectly and there’s no reason to replace it at all.

But I don’t have a proper tuner in my office. The tuner card in my PC seems to be on the blink. And I don’t really even like the PC all that much anyway, I would like to eliminate it some day.

Anyway, I can get by without a new tuner but I really do need a proper meter. I’ve had nothing but trouble trying to align my dad’s dish and I have quite a few dishes myself that are always giving me trouble.
With everything going to S2 I really don’t even have a usable meter anymore. I would get a lot of use out of the meter. Not daily use but valuable use.

If this new wundertuner was in the $125 range, I would buy two of them and give my MicroHD to my dad.
Maybe after it’s been out awhile the price will go down and I can buy one.

It does look interesting though I have my concerns about the google stuff. But it’s not something I have a life or death need for.
I’ll sit it out and see if they get cheaper and if any evil google gotchas happen.

:)

Keep in mind that this is not just a Satellite Receiver, and not just an Android based Satellite Receiver.

Does the A3 come with a funky gyro remote?

Keep in mind that this is not just a Satellite Receiver, and not just an Android based Satellite Receiver.

Does the A3 come with a funky gyro remote?
Yes, and built in microphone for voice commands, etc.

I actually was looking into developing an Android based FTA satellite receiver with XBMC and an OTA tuner, but it became too cost prohibitive to sell and make a profit. Perhaps I should look into becoming a reseller or get with Brian to sell these units. This is definitely a step in the right direction when it comes to new model FTA satellite receivers. I'm looking forward to ordering one.

Well poo..... The tuner card in my PC finally died all the way. I now have no FTA satellite in my little office now. :crying

I still have that very nifty MicroHD in my bedroom and it’s still working great, not a single problem or complaint!

I guess I’m going to go ahead and set aside my tinfoil hat and buy one of these things at the end of this month.

I want a red one. Just to be different. So tired of all the macho monochrome colors.

Update: Now taking pre-orders for Amiko A3 delivery approximately July 24th. Extremely limited quantities available in colors black or red. Once these pre-ordered units are sold, no more units will be available from the factory until mid September.

MSRP is $249, but we have been authorized to offer a special introductory price of $209 with free shipping to US, a Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.

http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/products#!/~/product/category=6743545&id=36205290

Please check with Amiko resellers for availability and pre-order prices. Authorized reseller list: http://www.amikoalienusa.com/?page_id=342#axzz34u6XVdqC

Reactions: T134 and Dee_Ann
Has it's video codec capabilities been determined?

It is a small form computer running on Android OS, so codecs can be added and updated. Is there a specific codec that you require that isn't normally available for Android devices?

The engineers have done their job well on the A3, but it is easy for the user to add and update the Android package and apps. Unlike other STBs running on proprietary OS and closed builds, the end user has much greater control over their experience without having to relying on a manufacturer support team for new features, updates and quite often just reliable operation!

Is there a specific codec that you require that isn't normally available for Android devices?[/QUOTE said:
Last I remember, someone was messing around with codecs and had MPEG 4:2:2 playing well, but did not know if anything was affected.

What is the window for placing a pre-order? I won’t have access to $$ until middle of next week.
I’m going to go ahead and buy a red one, I’m fed up with the computer nonsense.
This would also allow me to put up a second USALS HH dish. MY PC will not drive a motor.

Also, didn’t I read somewhere that you can control this STB with your iPad/iPhone/other tablets ?

Update: Now taking pre-orders for Amiko A3 delivery approximately July 24th. Extremely limited quantities available in colors black or red. Once these pre-ordered units are sold, no more units will be available from the factory until mid September.

MSRP is $249, but we have been authorized to offer a special introductory price of $209 with free shipping to US, a Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.

http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/products#!/~/product/category=6743545&id=36205290

Please check with Amiko resellers for availability and pre-order prices. Authorized reseller list: http://www.amikoalienusa.com/?page_id=342#axzz34u6XVdqC

Thanks! It's going to be a long 37 days...

So is it official that it'll handle 4:2:2? Is the blind scan hardware or software?

I understand that the official statement is that live 4:2:2 handling is still under development.

The A3 is a computer. Like any Android device, it supports video playback with apps like MX Player, XBMC, etc. And these apps support 4:2:2. So yes, the A3 supports 4:2:2 ts file playout. I guess that now it is up to the developers to link the live TS stream to automatically launch the correct player app when 4:2:2 is detected.

The A3 has a software based tuner. Initial testing is providing fast and accurate blind scans on NA birds in just over 2 minutes, logging narrow and adjacent transponders as well as any hardware based tuner blind scan. Will post scan results and comparison testing in the near future.

Canucks have been always on your side and good clients as well, can we be included in the free shipping agreement?
Pleaseeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, the Canadian shipping cost is crazy. The A3 is approx $45!

There is a new Canadian Amiko reseller launching this week, RPS Satellite. Roger is a great satellite tech and provides excellent service.

What is the window for placing a pre-order? I won’t have access to $$ until middle of next week.
I’m going to go ahead and buy a red one, I’m fed up with the computer nonsense.
This would also allow me to put up a second USALS HH dish. MY PC will not drive a motor.

Also, didn’t I read somewhere that you can control this STB with your iPad/iPhone/other tablets ?
The last day to Pre-Order will be June 27th at this time. If that get extended I will post.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)